No announcement yet.

I rebuild carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chef can probably help you, but I have a couple of questions.
    1. What was the incentive for the Campbell x-pipe? All the reviews I have seen of it were considerably less than positive.
    2. Who is "Monty"?
    3. What is your incentive for pods? Yes, most bikes will make a little more power, along with a little more noise, once you finally get them dialed in, but the 850 has about the lowest state of tune of any GS, I don't know how much that might improve with pods.

OK, I just did some searching and found that "Monty" is Monty Campbell, inventor of the x-pipe. I find it interesting that he added jets 11 sizes larger, when he claims that his pipe requires NO re-jetting. I think that pretty much says enough for me about the rest of his company.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve, the reason he went 11 sizes bigger on the jets is because of the pods. I can do my best to go back to the OEM airbox but im having a hard time getting it to stay connected to the carbs , I even bought new rubber boots for the air-box still having trouble but I could spend more time on it if Chef could maybe
      get me back to normal.

p.s. The X-pipe I have is a decent product. I'm more frustrtated with myself for going in over my head with no support in Idaho.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        What is your incentive for pods?

A big incentive for me is looks.

Then when I became an 11EZ owner, I discovered how difficult the air box made battery access.
        Last edited by Rob S.; 04-08-2019, 01:38 PM.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Hi Mr Chef, or Bill. I’m new to the site and I’m really interested in a quote for some carb rebuilding. I have an 80 GS 1000 GL that I’m restoring. The carbs appear to be stock and untouched, but i assume clogged. I plan to run K&N pod filters and a V&H 4 into 1 pipe. So I’m going to need richer jetting. I can send you my telephone number if you’d like. Let me know the best way to get in touch. Best regards. GS1Tom

Comment

Bump @chef, pm coming your direction
            1982 GS1100EZ

Comment

Originally posted by the schwartz View Post
              Bump @chef, pm coming your direction
              Bill's got a lot on his plate these days. I can't speak for him but...
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                Bill's got a lot on his plate these days. I can't speak for him but...
                wishing Bill the best, whatever the plate is full of !!(?)
                1100 Katana / 1100 ES

pragmatic not dogmatic

Comment

Hit me up chef you helped me on 2 sets of slingshot carbs back in 2014 you did an amazing job! I might have another set for ya i need to crack them open and see what were working with.
                  1982 GS1100E 1983 GS1100E

Comment

Chef, I sent you a PM.
                    Last edited by RustyTank; 01-22-2022, 12:38 PM.
                    Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
                    1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

Comment

Working...
                    X