Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New GS750E Owner -- Please HELP with IDLE problem !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New GS750E Owner -- Please HELP with IDLE problem !!

Wow, am I glad I found this awesome web site with a forum and all. Glad to see GS users helping others in all aspects of their bikes, be it mechanical problems, mods, and even events.

Please don't bash me too hard for posting this question, but I really could NOT find a problem similar to mine in this forum (or anywhere else on the Internet for that matter).

Here goes:
    Purchased an 82 750e from a guy for $100. He says it's been sitting in his garage for about 7 or 8 years.... ya ya, I know, not good already.

When I went to start the bike, surprising it fired up, rough, but still fired up. It idled "ok" at about 2500 rpm. All this was with the choke all the way to the left. (I think that's wide open). As soon as I move the choke lever even 1/8 inch to the right, the bike instantly died.

I then started it up again with the choke to the far left again. Idled ok at 2500 again. I then decided to give it some gas via the throttle and as I "slightly" gave it gas, the motor died again. As long as I leave the choke all the way to the left and don't touch anything else, the bike idles fine.

My question is: does this seem like a timing or carb problem? It almost seems to me like the motor is running WAAAAY too rich, and when the choke is closed or more gas is given, the motor floods. That's what I think. Or could I advance the timing somehow on these things? I've never taken a carb apart to clean one, but don't feel nervous about doing it. There's always a first time for everything.

ANY ANY help would be hugely appreciated. Thanks once again !!!!

1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Chef, thanks for the good info. So I assume the problem might be the carbs?

Comment

Sitting as long as it did it's a good bet.
        If you don't do it I will
        If you sell parts or provide services for GS series motorcycles, place a description of it in this forum.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Guaranteed after that long sitting the carbs need attention, other things will too.

That sounds like thoroughly plugged carburetors, with only the choke circuit working at all. It's too rich with full choke as you surmised, but when the throttle is opened it bypasses the choke, so there is no fuel getting into the engine at all. At least that's what it sounds like.

Take them out, dip and clean them, then do all the other things required when the dead is brought back to life.
          Last edited by tkent02; 10-13-2009, 06:48 PM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

congrats on the great deal. a little tlc and that will have been a great investment. just follow the carb cleaning to the letter and check for airleaks, also mr. barrs o-rings are a must. listen to these guys and dont deviate and you will have a bad machine. check out basscliffs website and the search feature on here. it has everything you need to know. good luck.

Comment

I assumed it had something to do with the carbs more than timing/ignition. But that could ALSO be my problem.

Just curious. IS there a way to adjust the timing? What I have is what looks like a bolt with a little tongue that turns with the motor between two "brushes" ( I guess you would call them ). Or is that stationary because it looks like there is no way to adjust the whole "ring" assembly.

Comment

Oh, almost forgot to ask. Those are probably CV carbs I have on that '82, correct?!

Comment

Very much doubt it's ignition. Timing is not really adjustable either. Some stock plates have about a degree of movement. Sounds exactly like plugged carbs. TKent's diagnosis is very accurate.

Make sure you replace the O rings behind the intake boots too.

Dan
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                    Make sure you replace the O rings behind the intake boots too.

Dan
                    Pretty sure the '82 750Es don't have the intake o-rings....at least mine doesn't...

(Just don't want to confuse the new guy...)
                    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Well, I know about the task at hand now. Should I get any particular kits to do this. Or do I just really need new o-rings and that's it ?

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. MakDad,

The aftermarket "carb kits" are mostly low-quality junk. Just get the O-ring kit from cycleorings.com and some float bowl gaskets. Clean everything else. All the existing internal parts (jets, etc) should be just fine after a good cleaning. Dip the carbs at least 8 hours each, up to 24 hours depending on how badly they are clogged.

Believe me, these guys have heard it all, fixed it all, ridden it all, etc. In addition to the carbs, check the charging system too. Clean EVERY electrical connection and ground. Then run the ground wire from the r/r directly to the negative battery post. Let me just say "Hi" and encourage you to read all of the information behind the two links below...

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                        Last edited by Guest; 10-13-2009, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MakDad View Post
                          Well, I know about the task at hand now. Should I get any particular kits to do this. Or do I just really need new o-rings and that's it ?
                          O rings should do it, you may need a float bowl gasket or two but it's not likely unless someone previously dipped the carbs with the gaskets in place. They usually just pop off in one piece.

You can cut a gasket by hand if you do need it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                            Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...
                            Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.
                            Thank you for your indulgence,
                            BassCliff

For some reason I feel all warm and tingly inside. Thanks for the welcome. And thank you all for the good insight.

I'll keep you informed how all this turns out.

Comment

Working...
                            X