Auto cancel signals on '79 850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto cancel signals on '79 850

Is there an easy cheap way to do away with it? I think the control unit on mine is bad, the right side will not light up at all.
    Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Hi,

I found this on some guy's website.

Turn Signal Relay Replacement

Some cheap flasher units will plug right into the existing socket.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

my original auto cancel box went last year. it only worked when it felt like it and often when a cop was sitting behind me at an intersection. the right side would refuse to work at all. often i would just go straight to avoid attracting attention (i had my reasons). then the next day everything worked fine. eventually though, it just never worked. the right side that is, the left always worked fine. i was always fiddling with the grounds and checking the wires but nothing had an effect. i found an OEM self cancel box on ebay, cheap, like 20 bucks, and it's been working fine ever since. i got lucky on that cuz usually they're near 100 big ones and i really like the auto cancel.

but if you've checked everything and just wanna get rid of it the most expensive part would probably be replacing the handlebar switch. the rest of the job would be sitting down with an electrical test light and hopefully a schematic, and figuring out what has to be cut and reattached where.
      2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
      82 gs1100L probably the next project
      1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
      1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Just unplug the auto cancel box and you have normal turn signals.

The relay can be replaced with an ordinary two-prong flasher. I forget which of the three wires goes where, but 30 seconds with a test light should clear that up.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

is the switch on an 850 not momentary, like the 1000? cuz if it is you would have to hold it on until you were done turning.
          2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
          82 gs1100L probably the next project
          1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
          1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

The 78-79 are different, you cant just unplug the control box. The hard part is finding a good control switch & you may need to rewire it. The system is actually 4 systems together SO you need to cut the 4 prong plug off the control box and connect the green with the green/black---black with the red/black then plug it back into the harness. Then trace the orange wire in the turn signal control switch back to the fuse block & put a flasher in the line..

Comment

Use your arm.
              Is that easy and cheap enough?
              Last edited by derwood; 10-17-2009, 03:14 AM.
              GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                The 78-79 are different, you cant just unplug the control box. The hard part is finding a good control switch & you may need to rewire it. The system is actually 4 systems together SO you need to cut the 4 prong plug off the control box and connect the green with the green/black---black with the red/black then plug it back into the harness. Then trace the orange wire in the turn signal control switch back to the fuse block & put a flasher in the line..
                Are you sure about this? The red and black wire is the distance sensor so that won't do, and the orange wire on this bike runs to the ignition switch and then back to the fuse box so you wouldn't want to connect a flasher inline there.

To do this mod, I believe you will have to change the left handlebar control to one that stays on until the switch is returned to the center position as Eli69 mentioned. The control on my 78 GS400 was like this, but I am sure that similar controls were used on other models. You will have to shop around and do some investigating....get the right side control as well so they match.

I would remove the control unit as SqDanceLynn suggests.

On the four-wire connector for the control unit, connect light green and black to solid light green for the right turn signal; connect light blue and black to solid black for the left turn signal.

On the six-wire connector for the control unit, connect the light blue wire from the flasher to the orange and yellow wire. The orange and yellow wire is used for the manual-cancel switch on the original bike, but needs to be reconnected to the center contact on your new handlebar switch (chosen since it runs to the right place, so is a good candidate to repurposing).

Attaced is an simplified wiring diagram that I made up for clarity (original taken from BassCliff's site and edited). You may want to verify this is correct before changing anything.

Regards

Andy

Comment

To clarify the control box wiring --- red/black is on the control box it plugs into the harness that has it connecting to a blue/black wire... red/black harness wire does go to the sensor
                  Last edited by Guest; 10-17-2009, 06:24 PM.

Comment

On the six-wire connector for the control unit, connect the light blue wire from the flasher to the orange and yellow wire. The orange and yellow wire is used for the manual-cancel switch on the original bike, but needs to be reconnected to the center contact on your new handlebar switch (chosen since it runs to the right place, so is a good candidate to repurposing).

Andy[/QUOTE]

When you say connect the orange and yellow wire to the center contact, do you mean replace the orange power wire with the orange and yellow wire?

Comment

Working...
                    X