Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Riding impressions from Katana/radials swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Riding impressions from Katana/radials swap?

Hello,

A bud & I were discussing the possibility of swapping the 88 - 97 Katana front end and rear wheel setup to an earlier GS. He wondered if the difference in rake/trail and switch to radials would cause any bad riding problems.

If you've done this could you share your riding impressions good or bad?

Thanks,
    Jack

Originally posted by 007jag View Post
    Hello,

A bud & I were discussing the possibility of swapping the 88 - 97 Katana front end and rear wheel setup to an earlier GS. He wondered if the difference in rake/trail and switch to radials would cause any bad riding problems.

Thanks,
    Jack
    Rake will not change unless you cut-off and reweld your steering tube.

I did a 1st Gen to get RSU 41mm forks and 18" radials on an GS1100ED. I did more than that including bandit swing arm, cartridge emulators and extended length adjustable Ohlins, but I'll limit the comments to what appears to be the effect of tires.

The rear is an 170/60-18 and is a very round profile which tends to allow the bike to roll into turns very easily. In fact after getting the new suspension on it was much harder to follow a straight line without wondering when trying to hold a position on the freeway.

I have a small flat spot in the center now (about 2-3 inches) so it tends to allow the bike to stay more centered on the flat but still rolls easily into turns.

The stability markedly improved. Much less wander over grooves in the pavement than the old bias ply tires. After doing my 1166, the bike was feeling more squirrelly with the extra power. Now I can just gun it and there is no stability issues at anything near sane speeds (under 120mph ).

The wider lower profile front tire (110/80-18 v.s. 100/90-19) gives much larger contact patch and you feel much more secure. The old brakes really offer no comparison to the improved 4 pot GSXR brakes. The feel is improved and the stopping will have you crowding your gauges if you don’t squeeze your gas tank with your legs.

Depending upon your undertaking, if you are willing and do things correctly (i.e. chain and wheel alignments) then you will not be disappointed.

17" wheels with USD are a little more trouble. I guess Bandits have 17" with RSU so a easier conversion. The 18" wheels provide some more ground clearance.

Comment

posplayr,

Thanks for your time & input.

With respect to rake/trail difference, what I meant was that most newer Katana and for sure Gsxr fronts are usually at steeper steering angles. And the swap to an earlier GS would be extending them.

Anyone else?

Regards,
      Jack
      Last edited by Guest; 10-29-2009, 11:54 PM. Reason: forgot something

Comment

I will re-iterate what Jim said...there really isn't ANY comparison between radial and even the best bias ply tires (IMHO), but for me the greatest difference was the BRAKES. Even the early gsxr 4 pots are indescribably better than the stock GS brakes.
        Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that!

Comment

posplayr,

Thanks for your time & input.

With respect to rake/trail difference, what I meant was that most newer Katana and for sure Gsxr fronts are usually at steeper steering angles. And the swap to an earlier GS would be extending them.

Anyone else?

Regards,
          Jack
          The steering angle is a function of the frame, not the forks.

Lots of people have swapped fronts from GSX, GSXR, Bandit, Hayabusa

You'll need a wider swing arm unless you have an 1100 E or 1150
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
            Rake will not change unless you cut-off and reweld your steering tube.

I did a 1st Gen to get RSU 41mm forks and 18" radials on an GS1100ED. I did more than that including bandit swing arm, cartridge emulators and extended length adjustable Ohlins, but I'll limit the comments to what appears to be the effect of tires.

The rear is an 170/60-18 and is a very round profile which tends to allow the bike to roll into turns very easily. In fact after getting the new suspension on it was much harder to follow a straight line without wondering when trying to hold a position on the freeway.

I have a small flat spot in the center now (about 2-3 inches) so it tends to allow the bike to stay more centered on the flat but still rolls easily into turns.

The stability markedly improved. Much less wander over grooves in the pavement than the old bias ply tires. After doing my 1166, the bike was feeling more squirrelly with the extra power. Now I can just gun it and there is no stability issues at anything near sane speeds (under 120mph ).

The wider lower profile front tire (110/80-18 v.s. 100/90-19) gives much larger contact patch and you feel much more secure. The old brakes really offer no comparison to the improved 4 pot GSXR brakes. The feel is improved and the stopping will have you crowding your gauges if you don’t squeeze your gas tank with your legs.

Depending upon your undertaking, if you are willing and do things correctly (i.e. chain and wheel alignments) then you will not be disappointed.

17" wheels with USD are a little more trouble. I guess Bandits have 17" with RSU so a easier conversion. The 18" wheels provide some more ground clearance.
            I would agree wholeheartedly with you. I stayed at 17" in the rear (with a 160/60) and went bigger in front to a 110/70/17 from a 100/90/16. GSX600F front end and stock swingarm with a Hagon shock.
            Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

sorry to resurect a old post. But to posplayer, rake can be changed by other ways besides cutting and rewelding the head tube. By simply raising the back of the bike you will alter rake, same as lowering it. As stated, rake is directly related to frame position. Thats why most sportbike riders run a rear spacer. This takes out more rake and allows quicker turn-in. This is something our GS's could benefit from. Also, to the OP, I am planning this swap in the not so distant future, along with some others. I am also concerned with the spring rates as these old GSs weigh a bit more than a Kat

Comment

Actually the older Kat( not the original) and Bandits aren't all that much lighter than the GS series. Maybe 80-ish lbs give or take ( I don't have the numbers in front of me) plus there are no problems getting springs to deal with the differences. Even using the ultra modern stuff off of bikes that weigh 3-400 lbs are still being used on our GSs. I'm personally considering going ahead and doing my 1100ES with first gen gixxer stuff using the stock ES swinger and the 18" wheels front and back. It's not as tremendous a difference but I will essentially be running the same set up as Pos. Minus the bandit arm and I'm using the 6spoke gixxer wheels that look the same as stock GS 83 1100 wheels. It will look stock but handle much better and it's all bolt on except I have to mod the spare 1100e swinger for the underslung brake stay.

Comment

Originally posted by 77GS750inCincy View Post
                  sorry to resurect a old post. But to posplayer, rake can be changed by other ways besides cutting and rewelding the head tube. By simply raising the back of the bike you will alter rake, same as lowering it. As stated, rake is directly related to frame position. Thats why most sportbike riders run a rear spacer. This takes out more rake and allows quicker turn-in. This is something our GS's could benefit from. Also, to the OP, I am planning this swap in the not so distant future, along with some others. I am also concerned with the spring rates as these old GSs weigh a bit more than a Kat
                  While I agree with you, it is not really clear what the OP was asking. I assumed head angle in the frame. Theoretcally the question is so wide open as to be difficult to answer because almost anything you do affects the "rack".

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                    Actually the older Kat( not the original) and Bandits aren't all that much lighter than the GS series. Maybe 80-ish lbs give or take ( I don't have the numbers in front of me) plus there are no problems getting springs to deal with the differences. Even using the ultra modern stuff off of bikes that weigh 3-400 lbs are still being used on our GSs. I'm personally considering going ahead and doing my 1100ES with first gen gixxer stuff using the stock ES swinger and the 18" wheels front and back. It's not as tremendous a difference but I will essentially be running the same set up as Pos. Minus the bandit arm and I'm using the 6spoke gixxer wheels that look the same as stock GS 83 1100 wheels. It will look stock but handle much better and it's all bolt on except I have to mod the spare 1100e swinger for the underslung brake stay.
                    Another minor diff is the rear rim on the 6 spoke is 18x4.0" v.s. the 18x4.5" rear on the 3 spoke. Dont try and go over 160/60-18 on yours. I'm running 170/60-18 on mine. The Dunlop Road Smart seems to have the best profile. That Michilin Pilot Road has that square profile even when new.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks,
                      Jack
                      a couple factors effect your rake/trail.
                      frame angle as mentioned. Changing heights of rear or front. MOst common is shorter forks which will quicken steering and in some cases make a dangerous situation at speed.
                      The other is offset of the forks. new forks tend to have much less offset which increases your trail. eg: my 83 kat has a 50mm offset on the stock forks. The gsxr forks have 30mm offset.

Tire profile will not change your geometry enough for you to notice. especially if your are changing both ends.

Also radials are dangerous and have a terrible ride quality, stick with the skinny wooden bias ply.
                      Last edited by katman; 11-27-2009, 07:27 AM.
                      KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                        If you do it, You'll probably discover you can use your stock caliper with the gsxr mount.

Comment

Originally posted by kingofvenus View Post
                          If you do it, You'll probably discover you can use your stock caliper with the gsxr mount.
                          We talking rear caliper here?

Comment

Yes. I'm using a gsx600 caliper (above the swingarm on my '83 750 like the stock one) on an '89 gsxr 1100 mount. Wheel and rotor is '89 1100 also.

Comment

Originally posted by kingofvenus View Post
                              Yes. I'm using a gsx600 caliper (above the swingarm on my '83 750 like the stock one) on an '89 gsxr 1100 mount. Wheel and rotor is '89 1100 also.
                              REally?? Just by looking Id figured the stock GS caliper to be way to large compared to the GSXR rotor (lil sucker) I might give it a shot tho. It would be dandy to not have to do any extra modifications... If i give it a shot I will report back and let you all know. It will be a month or so at least before i get around to this however...

Comment

Working...
                              X