Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Riding impressions from Katana/radials swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 600 Kat callper and the 1100 gsxr caliper look identical except for the stay arm mount being on opposite sides. When i first had the 600 kat rear wheel (before the 1100) i used the stock 750 caliper on it's own mount, only when i won a complete 600 caliper that looked like new for four bucks on ebay was that then i switched to that. Calipers are pretty much the same, it's the mounts that are different.
    Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Originally posted by kingofvenus View Post
      The 600 Kat callper and the 1100 gsxr caliper look identical except for the stay arm mount being on opposite sides. When i first had the 600 kat rear wheel (before the 1100) i used the stock 750 caliper on it's own mount, only when i won a complete 600 caliper that looked like new for four bucks on ebay was that then i switched to that. Calipers are pretty much the same, it's the mounts that are different.
      Well the stock GS caliper won't work with the early gixxer 1100 hanger I have figured that much out. The bolt spacing on the caliper is just a hair to wide for the hanger. If I can find either a gixxer 600 caliper or another compatible hanger then this might work and make
      this project go alot faster. Now that I have the parts
      and can see exactly what's going on, aside from the wheel spacing and figuring out gauge mounts this looks pretty easy.

Comment

Take a look at this... custom CNC cut brake hanger in 10mm steel. (little heavier than stock but not too bad).

Doesn't work with the stock 83 caliper because of where the line bolts to it on the side (interferes with the swing arm)

but works fine with the GS550/750/850/1000 etc etc older version with the line on the back of the caliper.... No pics of it fitted but I can take some at some stage, I have it all fitted now.

I also have a custom Torque arm to clear the 170 tyre......

The best news for you... I got 2 of them made so we might be able to work something out as I have a spare.... (hanger & torque arm). I had to grind a little of the back of the caliper in a couple of areas to create clearance for the wheel but nothing serious.

I also have the first Gen front calipers you're after complete with lines & master cylinder.....

I have a set of 17" 3 spoke wheels too if you wanted to go that route... (4.5")

Dan
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
        X