Nov '09

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dan Ruddock View Post
    Oh I did it now!! Trying to find out why the guys at the XS1100 site like their brute Yamaha so much did not sit well with them so they banned me for stirring the pot.
    Man, you got off lightly.....they seem like a decent bunch. We would have been much less tolerant of an XS-11 troll here.
    Tony.
    '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
    Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
      Man, you got off lightly.....they seem like a decent bunch. We would have been much less tolerant of an XS-11 troll here.
      Tony.
      Got off lightly!! What more can they do than ban me? Send the troll police to my house.

I just want to know what makes them think there bike was the super bike of the era. Maybe a good crusier or touring bike but not a super bike. The KZ1000, GS1000, CB900f and the CBX all fit in that catagory not the XS POS. Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DangerWillRobinson View Post
        $2749 for a GS1000E in 79 would be quite a bargain.

Are you sure you didn't buy the standard model?

The E was about four or five hundred bucks more than the standard.

For that extra money you got cast wheels, a stepped seat and dual front disc brakes.

I think any buyer savvy enough to appreciate the virtues of the GS1000 over the XS1100 also new that with its lower unsprung weight, the standard was the better handling Suzuki. All the 1979 leftovers available in 1980 were E models.

If it was a leftover in 1980 as this bike was, than $2749 would be about right.
        I know what model I have. Don't forget the E has self-cancelling signals too. I don't know what the MSRP was back then.
        My wife made a call and they held it for me. No haggling. $2749 plus sales tax and license it was $3003 out the door.
        Not sure why I can't show a direct pic here but here's a link.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...dedmay4178.jpg
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
          I know what model I have. Don't forget the E has self-cancelling signals too. I don't know what the MSRP was back then.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...dedmay4178.jpg
          Someone mentioned earlier but the 79 1000E retailed for $3499.
          1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
          Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post
            Someone mentioned earlier but the 79 1000E retailed for $3499.
            That sounds about right. I was surprised the XS1100 was nearly $900 more. Two bikes in the same class, didn't make sense.
            Obviously, I got a good deal. I'm sure they wanted to make room for the GS1100 coming soon. Funny how things happened. I wanted the Yamaha and kept saving. Then at the last moment I checked out the GS and went for it, without even thinking about the GS1100 coming in just a month.
            I've never regretted it though. This November 3rd marked our 30th anniversary. Lots of memories. We've been good for each other.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

wow they are pretty defensive on that site, I think the post you quoted was the only stat needed.

Comment

Yes, I try to honestly and with as much truth as I can muster voice my opinion in answering the quoted question and I get banned because they don't like the message.

After 30 years, what something sells for says a lot about the test of time. It was not just the bikes lack of balance but there were also transmission problems with the XS. Dan

P.S. I just tried to log on over there and I have been reinstated.
                Last edited by Guest; 11-18-2009, 04:52 PM.

Comment

I bought my leftover 791000E new in 80 for $2700. The mag wheels, paint and seat were an upgrade from the C model, and you weren't going to notice the handling difference unless you went to the racetrack. It still handled wayyyy better than any other big bore bike except the CB900F. I was very content knowing I had a very potent all-round bike.

The XS1100 is a nice cruising bike with good effortless power. The shaft effect is noticeable and annoying. You can change out the gears without pulling the motor: I've done it 3 times.

Comment

Working...
                  X