Don't Know Where to Start on My Cafe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow

That was alot of great information! Wow! I was getting all excited to make my bike look sick and retro and fun, but after reading that, It grounded me that I need to enjoy the bike in stock form before I decide what is better for it or unnecessary. And salty monk, those pictures of that 1000 look exactly like my bike. I am very excited for the spring to get tires put on it and throw some miles on it. I guess what I am getting at is thank you guys for disarming my cafe gun and bringing me back to ground zero with a level head. that was close.

Comment

First off welcome! Secondly give your head a shake!

Now its your bike and you can do whatever you want but as others have said so well, you should know how a bike works and you should be capable of doing the work yourself before taking on a project of this magnitude.

You also need to learn more about bike 'composition" for lack of a better term. What engine, frame, suspension components when combined will produce an attractive, safe, functional model of the type you want. That bike is not a good platform for the "cafe" touch. The frame without some serious modification will not allow for the flatter tank into seat profile of the cafe. The suspension at front is too high and the shaft drive, as mentioned, is not in keeping with the style either. Wheel and tire sizes are not right either. I won't even get into handling issues.

Better platforms for cafe styles would be the XS series of Yamahas or the CB series of Hondas which lend themselves very well to these projects.

You need to think about time and budget as well and whatever your thoughts.....you are wrong. Even knowledgeable and experienced guys take way longer than anticipated and the budget almost always goes out the window. As an example, My last full build a 78 XS 650 conversion to Street Tracker was planned to take 6 months (over a winter) and was to cost no more than $1500 (bike included). It took a full 18 months and the budget went past $3500. I consider myself very frugal and I believe I know what I'm doing mechanically ( 40+ years of wrenching) and I have trouble sticking to the game plan.

Remember, if you have one bike and you're wrenching, you're not riding. If you have a bike to ride and a bike to wrench on you will enjoy it more but it will take longer to complete. For many folks, interest wanes the longer it takes and there are so many partially completed projects gathering dust in garages and barns all across north America. My advice, ride this one and find another more suitable subject for the project. Learn the ins and outs of this bike, get it running right then perhaps pick up a "basket case" and get it back running right, sell it and then perhaps pick up the bike for the cafe project. By two or three bikes you should be up for it. I just wouldn't dive right in at this point.

Sorry to be a wet blanket but you might as well hear the truth.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Cheers,
      Spyug
      Last edited by Guest; 11-11-2009, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
        A $1,000 budget is not a whole lot to get a custom bike built, even if you're doing all the work yourself.

It can be done, but it requires you to have the ability, facility, tools (the list is too long to detail but requires more than a hack saw), and strong knowledge of mechanical skills. The last one is a must, at the very least!
        I have only spent 50 dollars on my build so far. (haven't bought the paint yet tho) The only power tools i have are a drill and angle grinder also i have a cheap welder. My hack saw gets the job done for me, no need for a torch or saws-all. As for mechanical skills I took small engines in high school. So far everything on the bike has been modified or chopped not costing me anything but time.

Go for it man don't let people get you down. My grandparents and other in my neighborhood thought i was crazy when i started chopping up my bike now they can't wait to see what it will look like when I'm finished.

Comment

Originally posted by jive13 View Post
          I have only spent 50 dollars on my build so far. (haven't bought the paint yet tho) The only power tools i have are a drill and angle grinder also i have a cheap welder. My hack saw gets the job done for me, no need for a torch or saws-all. As for mechanical skills I took small engines in high school. So far everything on the bike has been modified or chopped not costing me anything but time.

Go for it man don't let people get you down. My grandparents and other in my neighborhood thought i was crazy when i started chopping up my bike now they can't wait to see what it will look like when I'm finished.
          Great point! As mentioned...it can be done.

Most of the money spent on any of my projects goes into machine work for parts that can't be found or have never been made. Often times you can go to a different manufacturer and find a part that you can make work with a few mods...here's where the 'tools' come in handy.

I'd be the last to say "don't do it" as I have VERY FEW things (toys and vehicles) that haven't been messed with in one way or another.
          About the only time I'd say stop is if you're up a very nice low mile, all original anything.

Comment

I had been inside a car engine, once, 20 years ago, and never torn apart a set of carbs when I started two years ago with this bike. Now I have replaced pistons, torn a head apart, and can rebuild a set of CV Mikunis in my sleep. It just takes time, patience, and an ability to make mistakes with multiple zeroes on the end.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. JuniorRap,

I'm glad you found us. You'll find lots of GS lovin' on my website. I agree with those who say get it running perfectly and ride it for a while before you start hacking it up. You might just grow to love your bike for what it is. I know I did. And I just wanted to say "Hi"...

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Here is my 550. It is pretty well finished now. This was an in process picture

I fabbed my seat using the stock seat pan, and 24 gage sheet, but there are ready made cafe seats on e-bay. I may go that way on my next project.

I used the front of the stock airbox, and then machined a collar that I riveted to the opening, and then put one large filter on it. I still had to baffel the opening some to get it to run right. I like the pod look, but no one makes one (that I could find) to fit.

I cut about three inches off the forks because I didnt like the look of them . I dont take this bike to the track, but it seems to handle fine with the shorter tubes. I have a lathe in the garage, so I was able to recut the c-clip grooves and stuff.

Good luck. I love doing these projects. I usually dont have a specific plan in mind when I start. I just start tearing things apart. It works for me, but may not for everyone.

Comment

JR,
                  Its YOUR bike. Do with it as you wish.

Tons of info here and even more opinions. Some good ones, some not so good ones and some are just downright hatefull but take it with a grain of salt. Use what you can and dump what you cant.
                  Use the search feature, god use the search feature!
                  One more suggestion, make sure the bike runs and it ridable before ya do anything else to it.

Some words of encouragement, if I can do YOU can do it!
                  (nice bike MAKR!)

sigpic

82 GS850
                  78 GS1000
                  04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                  .................________-|___\____
                  ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

First off, welcome. This is a great site - the absolute best for what you're trying to do. Even the grumpy guys are often very helpful.

"Proper" Cafe Racers as a genre have been appropriated by everyone and their uncle, but I think about 2% really know what they're talking about. I sure don't. I just like the look. Sure, I think of wire wheels, clip-ons, drilled out parts, and a chain drive as part of a traditional cafe build - and you'll find a lot of CB's and XS's since they fit that bill a little better.

But since it sounds like you just want your GS to look fast (in a vintage utilitarian way), and go fast. So yah, it'll never be a Triton (in form or function) but for less than $2k you can do no worse, dude. It can absolutely rock, and be very fast on a budget, which is probably the best homage you can make to the cafe tradition.

Oh, crap. I just used the word homage.

Personally, I love the cafe look, and even though my GS850G (all 550lbs of it) will likely never get there, I ride it every day and the subtle mods I make push it in the sporty direction. Meanwhile, since it's a daily commuter, over the years I've been more focused on the mechanicals. I'd recommend the same - get it running right, get it moving fast - mainly because you just don't want it to have "more show than go", that'll miss the point.

There are some (not a lot, but some) nice examples of shaftie cafe racers out there. This was one link I found to a nice Italian (of all things)...
                    http://www.allenmotorsports.com/mv750_sport_america.htm And there's quite a few BMW examples out there.

I rambled, mainly just wanted to say hi, don't worry about the idea that it can't or shouldn't be done, and good luck. Looking forward to seeing what you do.

Cheers,
                    Josh

Edit: I gotta add, learn how to ride. Also, learn how to ride. This is one of the top reasons for getting it running and rideable first. So you can practice, get a feel for the bike, and learn how to stay alive out there. You're no good to us dead. (That's a geeky movie reference, but I really mean it. It's dangerous out there, and your skills matter a lot).

Edit: Oh dang, I just posted in a 2-year-old thread. Duh.
                    Last edited by Guest; 06-21-2011, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Wonder if he ever completed it?

I don't see what the big deal is, I have and have had a lot of the same questions. They are very good questions for someone trying to put a cafe bike together for the first time... yeah I agree it would be a shame to chop up a pristine example, and yeah - it's not the quintessential bike for the style (the only person who should care about that is HIM), and yes there are also some that don't have any business being around tools and could be a danger to themselves, others and the bike - further some don't know how to ride - all those things are incredibly important and should be addressed... But, I believe anyone posting such questions should also be given the benefit of the doubt that either they, or someone they know has the competency and desire / drive needed to do the work... If not, they'll either state they don't, pay someone else or ask for help - not asked to be patronized - which doesn't help anyone.

So whatever - in the end it's HIS bike and he should be unquestioned to do what he wants to it - put rockets and wings on it and go jump the grand canyon - who cares, whatever floats his boat since he'll be the one riding it.

Educating by providing differing viewpoints is good - but keep in mind it doesn't answer his questions... Consider this... if he's asking - he's probably already got an idea of what he wants and put some thought into it.... Or knows what he wants but just doesn't know how to get there.. just sayin'

Comment

Working...
                      X