GS1000 (and posssibly other GS) Petcock Solution/Alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000 (and posssibly other GS) Petcock Solution/Alternative

I forgot to post this sooner. Awhile back when I got my '78 1000 the petcock was shot. My buddy David is a mechanic and also has a '78 1000 and and happened to be working on a Kawasaki Sherpa at the dealership. He got a petcock for the sherpa in and thought that it looked like it would fit perfectly on the '78 and it did. Mounted exactly like original. I'm sure it would have other applications as well. I'm not sure of the year sherpa (I think it was '01) but I will find out Tuesday and let you guys know for sure. Very good and economical solution (I think it was maybe $15-20).

Last edited by Guest; 11-09-2009, 01:17 AM.

Good to know, Russ. I have one that requires forearms like Popeye to operate.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Is this a vacuum petcock or do you have to turn it on and off?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

It is a vacuum petcock. Here is the fische from partshark; scroll down just a bit and you will see petcock. Looks like I might have been a little off about the price, but maybe my dealer was cheaper. I'll check on correct year and price tomorrow.

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Is this a vacuum petcock or do you have to turn it on and off?

Comment

Trying to resurrect this thread for a little further discussion. I don't think the KLR250 is the correct model. That petcock only has one fitting that I can find on it for a fuel hose. Is it possible that it was the KLR650? That one is clearly a vacuum model with two hose barbs. The larger displacement engine would be more in line with our larger bikes too.

Comment

I pulled apart a CA tank from a 78 Yamaha 750 Triple which has 2 petcocks, both fit our tanks. Most Asian made bikes have the same bolt pattern between 78-91 from what I've both found and researched.

Comment

Bump......
              sigpic

82 GS850
              78 GS1000
              04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
              .................________-|___\____
              ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Don View Post
                Trying to resurrect this thread for a little further discussion. I don't think the KLR250 is the correct model. That petcock only has one fitting that I can find on it for a fuel hose. Is it possible that it was the KLR650? That one is clearly a vacuum model with two hose barbs. The larger displacement engine would be more in line with our larger bikes too.

Just saw this Don. I know my mechanic said it was from a super sherpa (KLR250). If you look at the fiche you just can't see the other fitting because it is in the back of the assembly.

Also on a KLR650 the one fitting comes out horizontally then turns down. On the sherpa it just sticks out horizontally. Here is a pic looking through carbs from right side of bike. You can see the fitting clearly on back.

Comment

I'm gonna have to check this out, I've been trying to find a serviceable
                  petcock for my '79 GS1000E, and this might be what I need. If so, it's a bounty for me.
                  sigpic
                  Steve
                  "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

I ordered a 250 sherpa petcock to try on my GS1000.I'll let you guys know when it gets here.

1978 GS1000C
                    1979 GS1000E
                    1980 GS1000E
                    2004 Roadstar

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                      I ordered a 250 sherpa petcock to try on my GS1000.I'll let you guys know when it gets here.
                      Which GS1000? as I see you have 3, I'm assuming it's either for the '78 or '79 since '80 petcocks are still readily available, at least aftermarket. Please let us know how it works out. Thanks in advance!
                      sigpic
                      Steve

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                        Which GS1000? as I see you have 3, I'm assuming it's either for the '78 or '79 since '80 petcocks are still readily available, at least aftermarket. Please let us know how it works out. Thanks in advance!
                        Aint the 78's readily available too?
                        Last I looked you could get one for the "fair" price of around 325 bux
                        What a jip!
                        sigpic

82 GS850
                        78 GS1000
                        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                        .................________-|___\____
                        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                          It's for a 79 GS1000

1978 GS1000C
                          1979 GS1000E
                          1980 GS1000E
                          2004 Roadstar

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
                            Aint the 78's readily available too?
                            Last I looked you could get one for the "fair" price of around 325 bux
                            What a jip!
                            Yeah, they're still available under a revised part number, $262 at Boulevard Suzuki. Don't know about you, but I find that a little "cost prohibitive."
                            sigpic
                            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                              Good to know, Russ. I have one that requires forearms like Popeye to operate.
                              Originally posted by Highway_Glider
                              Mine need Popeye himself.
                              If your petcock is hard to turn, but otherwise operates just fine, that's an easy fix.

Remove the petcock from the tank. Remove the two screws on the retainer ring on the front, slide the selector lever out of the assembly. Be careful, there is a spring at the back. Use a Scotch-brite pad or some 400-600 sandpaper to clean the outer surface of the barrel on the selector. It also helps if you have a wire brush that you can stick into a drill to clean out the inner surface of the petcock housing. Apply a thin layer of silicone or lithium grease, put it back together, enjoy your "new" petcock.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X