GS1000 (and posssibly other GS) Petcock Solution/Alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    If your petcock is hard to turn, but otherwise operates just fine, that's an easy fix.

Remove the petcock from the tank. Remove the two screws on the retainer ring on the front, slide the selector lever out of the assembly. Be careful, there is a spring at the back. Use a Scotch-brite pad or some 400-600 sandpaper to clean the outer surface of the barrel on the selector. It also helps if you have a wire brush that you can stick into a drill to clean out the inner surface of the petcock housing. Apply a thin layer of silicone or lithium grease, put it back together, enjoy your "new" petcock.

WD40 usually helps too.
    sigpic

82 GS850
    78 GS1000
    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
    .................________-|___\____
    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
      WD40 usually helps too.
      Yeah, for a few minutes.

It's a GREAT water dispersant, but not really that much of a long-term lubricant.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
        WD40 usually helps too.

WD40 works well for me also, lubricates that seal which will dry out and makes it hard to turn. Not worth it for me to tear it all apart when all I got to do is hit it with a shot of WD40.
        sigpic
        Steve
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Well,Received my Kawasaki petcock 51023-1346
          No Way will this work on a GS1000 or prob any other Suzuki
          the mounting holes are different dimensions,about 35 mm.
          there is only one "nozzle" coming off the petcock for hose attachment
          not two.
          on-off-reserve positions ...no prime
          fuel inlet "pipe is about 6 inches tall.
          Guess I'll return it.

Originally posted by russr33 View Post
          It is a vacuum petcock. Here is the fische from partshark; scroll down just a bit and you will see petcock. Looks like I might have been a little off about the price, but maybe my dealer was cheaper. I'll check on correct year and price tomorrow.

http://www.partshark.com/fiche_secti...2001&fveh=8665

1978 GS1000C
          1979 GS1000E
          1980 GS1000E
          2004 Roadstar

Comment

Hi,
            Is there any reason this one wouldn't work? Z1 has it listed under 78 GS1000 parts.

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

And the price is probably comparable to the Kawi alternative.

Cheers,
            Lyle

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
              not two.
              Guess I'll return it.
              Thanks for trying, but that's really dissapointing news, I'll probably order a petcock rebuilt kit and see if I can get either of my two "slow" leaking when turned off/res to stop leaking altogether. With 3 petcocks to play with I'm hoping to get just one to "work as advertised!"
              sigpic
              Steve

Comment

Originally posted by SDBuckeye View Post
                Hi,
                Is there any reason this one wouldn't work? Z1 has it listed under 78 GS1000 parts.

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

And the price is probably comparable to the Kawi alternative.

Cheers,
                Lyle
                I've been looking at that on E-bay, there's two at that Z1 link, one for $51 and change and the KL18-4359 for $43 and change, difference being when the reserve kicks in (fuel filter), I just don't know about the hole spacing though, I'm not sure if 44mm is the correct one for ' 78-'79 GS1000. Anyone know for sure?
                sigpic
                Steve

Comment

The 44mm spacing is correct on this petcock but there are a couple of other problems.

The hose inlets are on the other side than our stock petcock
                  (this could possibly be overcome with longer hose routing although there would be a 180 degree turn in the hose)
                  The bigger problem is that it can't be mounted flush because it catches on the edge of the tank.
                  Anyone please correct me if I am wrong.
                  Maybe Jeff from Z1 can chime in and offer a solution. Don't know if Z1 offers any other petcocks for the GS1000.
                  I'd say call them first if you order.

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                  I've been looking at that on E-bay, there's two at that Z1 link, one for $51 and change and the KL18-4359 for $43 and change, difference being when the reserve kicks in (fuel filter), I just don't know about the hole spacing though, I'm not sure if 44mm is the correct one for ' 78-'79 GS1000. Anyone know for sure?

1978 GS1000C
                  1979 GS1000E
                  1980 GS1000E
                  2004 Roadstar

Comment

not two.
                    Guess I'll return it.
                    Well hell Rover; my apologies. I know he had said it was from a sherpa (I had never heard of a sherpa before) but obviously he was mistaken. I'll try and find out what it is I have on here b/c it obviously works fine on mine. Will try and get a part # for you guys.

Again Rover sorry you went through the trouble of ordering it and it was wrong.

Comment

The 44mm spacing is correct on this petcock but there are a couple of other problems.

The hose inlets are on the other side than our stock petcock
                      (this could possibly be overcome with longer hose routing although there would be a 180 degree turn in the hose)
                      The bigger problem is that it can't be mounted flush because it catches on the edge of the tank.
                      Anyone please correct me if I am wrong.
                      Maybe Jeff from Z1 can chime in and offer a solution. Don't know if Z1 offers any other petcocks for the GS1000.
                      I'd say call them first if you order.
                      I think it could work, but the petcock I'm using now seems to have the same filter, which is wrong for my bike. I have 4 petcocks for the GS1000 and each one has something different about it, even though they all resemble each other. I think I'm gonna try to rebuild the last one I got,
                      it works fine, but seeps a little gas when switched to on/res, I'm thinking if I replace the diaphram it may stop leaking altogether which is what I want. If I could just change out the filter in the one I have on the bike now that would be the end of it. But I just can't budge that filter even though the other 3 come out as easy as pie.
                      sigpic
                      Steve

Comment

Petcock update

No problem,I'll just return it.

My turn to apologize: The Sherpa is still no go,but the 18-4358 from Z-1
                        looks ok,I screwed up big time.It looks like it will work fine.I'm embarrassed
                        to go into detail how I screwed up.
                        Sorry Z-1.

Originally posted by russr33 View Post
                        Well hell Rover; my apologies. I know he had said it was from a sherpa (I had never heard of a sherpa before) but obviously he was mistaken. I'll try and find out what it is I have on here b/c it obviously works fine on mine. Will try and get a part # for you guys.

Again Rover sorry you went through the trouble of ordering it and it was wrong.

1978 GS1000C
                        1979 GS1000E
                        1980 GS1000E
                        2004 Roadstar

Comment

Working...
                        X