No announcement yet.

Good Roads near SW Ohio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only part of Kemper that is a little decent is between Hamilton and Colerain..the rest is soo built up now all the way to Loveland.Kemper dead ends about a quarter mile from me on the Colerain end but from there you have some nice roads to choose from.

Comment

Perryville Battlefield

My brother and I went here late last summer. The battle of Perryville was a pretty important and significant battle in the western theater of the Civil War. Though the battle was essentially a draw, it effectively ended the Confederate's plan to control Kentucky, an important border state to both sides (I have a BA in history, and am a bit of a buff in case you can't tell).

Anyway, my brother and I had an eventful trip there. He was having a lot of mechanical issues. After about two hours in a BP parking lot, and a few trips to Auto Zone by me fetching things for him, he finally narrowed it down to a fuel filter that was restricting flow to his carbs. After we finally got back on the road again, we got stuck in a terrential downpour in Frankfurt, KY. We decided to wait that out, which was about another hour and a half. I was determined to get to this battlefield. What should have been a 2-3 hour ride one way, took us almost 8 hours. The battlefield is well preserved, and I highly recommend seeing it to anyone. You can take a driving tour throught the battlefield, and there are many places to pull over and read placards that describe troop movements (etc). We also stoped for a little while in Harrodsburg, KY. This was a pretty neat little town. There were a lot of older plantation style homes along the main street. I will definately be visiting this area again.

Anyway, this was one of my trips I figured I'd share. Road wise, they really weren't that twisty, except US 68 From Harrodsburg to Perryville. That wasn't bad. Here is the photobucket link with some pictures I took from my cell phone:

http://s759.photobucket.com/albums/x...efield%202009/
      Last edited by Guest; 03-15-2010, 12:48 AM.

Comment

Toejam,
        Looks like you are from Harrison, I am just up the road near Colerain and 275..what roads did ya take on this ride...sounds like a possible maybe with a side trip or two throwen in
        Thanks....

Comment

Reviving this thread, because SPRING IS SPRUNG gents!! I just got Essie up and running, gotta do some tuning and some tune up runs, so keep an ear out, there will be some weekends coming up that I and Rose will be hitting the road to head south for the day, anyone who'd like to meet up and come along, more than welcome Even for a short ride and lunch!!

Comment

Hey, any weekend but this next one, gimme a shout. Hopefully it won't be long before I need to take the 1000 on a few shakedown voyages.
            Dogma
            --
            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Conrail,

We took US127 pretty much all the way down, pretty much a straight and not too scenic route, but better than the superslab. I'm sure we could have been more creative in the search for twisties on the way down, but our trip to Perrysville was more of the sight-seeing mindset.

I would love to eventually meet some of the people on here sometime and ride. However, I am still a newbie as a rider (less than a year), and I would hate to be the one who slows everyone down as I am sure I am not as agressive on the twisties as some of the more experienced riders are. Second, my wife and I are expecting twins in June (our first), and I know my riding days will be severely limited after that. I am taking a couple of days off in April and going out with a couple of my friends as a sort of last hurrah for me before the kids.

Comment

Well, as I understand it, if you ride with Conrail, taking it easy is the order of the day. If you want to work on corner-carving skills, any group worth riding with with will gladly take a break and wait for you at the next turn. Impatience gets people hurt.

My first year wasn't that long ago, and I remember the absolute most important lesson to learn is to ride your own ride. Don't push too hard to keep up. And if you can keep up, don't allow yourself to fall into the trap of following the rider in front of you. 'Cuz then you'll automatically copy his mistakes.
                Dogma
                --

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                '80 GS850 GLT
                '80 GS1000 GT
                '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I grew up and graduated H.S. in Hillsboro, OH in Highland Co. It's about 40-50 miles east of Mason.
                  There are a bunch of great roads in and around there, especially around Rocky Fork State Park.

A town named Hillsboro in Highland Co......how can there NOT be great roads ??
                  Larry D
                  1980 GS450S
                  1981 GS450S
                  2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

My explores have been getting closer to that area. Maybe I'll make Rocky Fork a destination. Thanks.
                    Dogma
                    --

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

I haven't been down 127 in years..missed that historic site when in the area.Kinda usually follow 27 and the NS rail line down to TN.
                      Dogma..what can I say...1/4 mile in 10 minutes flat...can't help stopping to take pictures 40 years on the street and I am still here Like Dogma said never let a group or another rider set a faster pace than you like,you are riding for you and not them.
                      Besides I ride an old Yamaha..lucky it starts and makes it to the bar

Comment

i live about 15 minutes from rocky fork lake near a town called bainbridge. there are alot of awesome roads here if you all would like to get together let me know. we could meet around jeffersonville mall or in Washington court house and do some ridin.

Comment

Originally posted by conrail View Post
                          I haven't been down 127 in years..missed that historic site when in the area.Kinda usually follow 27 and the NS rail line down to TN.
                          Dogma..what can I say...1/4 mile in 10 minutes flat...can't help stopping to take pictures 40 years on the street and I am still here Like Dogma said never let a group or another rider set a faster pace than you like,you are riding for you and not them.
                          Besides I ride an old Yamaha..lucky it starts and makes it to the bar

That looks like a railroad crossing I go over nearly every day to work. Is that Hamilton New London road, just a little west of 27?

Comment

Toejam I do belive that is New London road..tracks go past Fernald and end near the Rumpke Ball fields.
                            Duke...yuppers you are in a nice area to ride..is Seven caves still there? Rode from Chillicothe back to Cincinnati in the pouring down rain last fall on rt 50 and didn't stop til I got home. Paint Creek,the Dental Museum,Rocky Fork,RT.41...great places.

Comment

conrail the 7 caves was bought by a bunch of tree huggers and is now closed to the public. i live on falls road if you know where that is. 41 is an awesome road. her is a pic of paint creek that i took off the back deck of my house. the area over around pike lake, latham, greenfield, 753, 772 is a real twisty one too, 28 this is a real beautiful area to ride. a good meeting place for dayton/ cincinnati riders and me would be where 35 meets old 71 at the outlet mall i am open most weekends we need to get together and ride.
                              Last edited by Guest; 04-05-2010, 04:00 AM.

Comment

Whaaatt ?!?!?!
                                7 Caves is closed ??? What a shame.

There's an 8th cave, you know........I had friends, that were friends of the family that used to own the "caves" back in the early '80's. I can't remember their names right now.......They used to let us roam freely around the caves. The 8th cave was a bit of a challenge to get into. Once inside it opened up into a spherical room about 20ft around. A great place for us young folks to partake in the herb of the day.......A long time ago in a land far, far away....

Ahhhh, the memories......
                                Larry D
                                1980 GS450S
                                1981 GS450S
                                2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
                                X