Air Compressor Recommendation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by distraction628 View Post
    If anyone wants a great deal on a new aircompressor please PM me.
    Kevin,

Those are nice looking. Please indulge us with the ball park $$s.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

on what model? The 6061V 3.5hp 230v 60 gal 12.2 cfm @ 100 psi SALE PRICE $725. 1 year bumper to bumper warranty.
      5020P 2 hp 7.1 cfm @ 100 20 gallon tank 110/230 volt $599
      5026 same specs as 5020P just vertical tank. $625
      If you see a model I will get you a price and post it. If you want one you must call me to order. We take visa, MC. Amer X , and now Paypal and money orders and good old cash.
      PM me if you need something different.

Comment

I don't know if Grainger sells to the general public in the US, but this looks like a smoking deal to me,

I was in compressor service and installation for over 10 years. Speedaire compressors are good quality and last a long time. They are basically the same as the old Craftsmen and Campbell Hausfeld units. Personally,I don't think there is anything to compare to the quality of a Quincy, but Champion, DeVair (or whatever they are calling themselves this week), Gardner Denver, Curtis Masterline, Saylor Beall, Kellogg, LeRoi Dresser and Ingersoll Rand (some models) are all decent machines. Old DeVilbiss compressors are also a good bet, as parts can still be found.

EDIT: Must be a typo, the same machine in Canada is $900!
        Last edited by Guest; 12-06-2009, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Just tried to order that Speedaire unit and it's unavailable. Bummer.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I have a Craftsman 2hp 20 gallon , oil lubed lay down model. Very quiet. Great for air tools but not for long running times.
            Biggest problem with mine is the cutoff switch has failed. Both gauges read tank pressure and I have to manually shut it off
            to avoid over pressuring it. And, of course, the parts are no longer available.

Mad
            83 GS750E
            2006 ZX14
            2004 KTM 450 EXC
            2001 Yamaha Big Bear

Comment

The HF compressors are pretty good for the money, you pretty much get what you pay for. To spray paint on a bike you can get away with a smaller compressor, especially if you use a gravity feed paint gun. When You are shopping look at the CFM more than the HP or other sizing. If it is Chinese HF cut the CFM rating in half, possibly less. It is that bad. Still a compressor that doesn't put out much in the CFM department will still give you air. Back in the early 80's I had a small 1/2 hp compressor, and I found a large air tank. I set it up where the little compressor would fill the 60 gallon tank, that would give me larger volumes of air temporarily.
              1981 GS1100E
              1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Comment

Nutin better than reviving a 12 year old thread.....

Post #5 - I gave my old Craftsman to my soninlaw (still works) and got a 20gal Kobalt from Lowes. Lowes card and military discount put it just over 250 bucks. Works fine for home owner jobs.

Shop Kobalt 20-Gallons Portable 175 PSI Vertical Air Compressor in the Air Compressors department at Lowe's.com. The Kobalt 20 Gallon compressor features a durable 120 Volt motor and oil-free pump that delivers 175 max PSI and 4.0 SCFM at 90 PSI. The improved performance
                82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Vertical, 60 gallon, around 6.5 HP. I and both my shop involved sons love them.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                    The HF compressors actually work pretty well, but those SCFM ratings are pure fantasy. I don't think any of them would run a spray gun, but I'm not that familiar with spray painting.

As far as Craftsman compressors, they're all made in China now and are absolutely identical to the HF stuff aside from price tag and paint -- you figure it out. Hmmmm...

If you just need to get by and inflate a few tires until you save up some more gold pieces, I'd get the smallest one. It's oil lubed, compact, decently quiet, and works pretty well.

Around here, at least, people selling air compressors on Cracklist always want crazy stupid money, and the compressors are almost always broken or worn out. I've been looking for a good deal for a couple of years, and haven't seen anything worth calling for. Maybe it's different in your area, but hardly anyone ever sells a compressor that's working right.

HF does sell a very nice two-cylinder belt drive compressor that you can snag for around $340. It's 220V, though, but that's the one I'll upgrade to when I get the chance.
                    Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                    Some things to look for (my brother gave me this lecture after seeing mine):
                    Separate motor from compressor. When/if the motor burns out, you just replace the motor, not the whole thing.
                    Cast iron compressor (cast iron lining may be good enough)
                    Vertical if it is to stay in one place, saves room
                    220v if possible, uses less current (P = VI)
                    As large a tank as you can afford, compressor runs less often
                    Enough CFM for the tools you want to use.

This one appears to have good specs, but I'd ask around:
                    Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

Here is a pretty good write-up to peruse: http://www2.northerntool.com/air-com...yers-guide.htm

Yeah, seeing this ancient thread is a little bittersweet -- my Dad died in 2010, and I inherited his 5HP Montgomery Ward compressor from the '70s. It's still serving me very well. The motor is new-ish; Dad was an industrial engineer, so who knows where he got the motor. But the cast iron pump is in great shape and chugging along fine, and the tank is even in great shape inside.

koolaid_kid (George Burroughs) helped me rearrange my breaker box and install a 220V circuit for the compressor, and with the last two slots we installed a 50A breaker for a future welder (which I still haven't gotten around to). George died in late 2015, but it's neat to see his wisdom and helpful nature live on!
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I have a Craftsman 30 gallon 5hp vertical. Bought it 10 years ago. It is a bit loud yet it does the job.

Comment

Working...
                      X