Yoshimura GSX1135R (EFE) Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yoshimura GSX1135R (EFE) Project

Hi folks, Viktor from Sweden here. I'm a 21 years old, currently unemployed electrician, who's about to undergo re-schooling in order to become a welder.

So, how did this project start?

Well, let's just say I got a blooded tooth after helping my dad out with the rebuild of his Yamaha XJR1300 (new running gear).

We figured I might as well buy myself one too since I was going to get my license. As I'm a old-school aircooled fella I went out hunting for pretty much anything which fit that criteria, didn't matter if it was a Kwak, a Honda, a Suzuki or a Yamaha.

But since my dad has been riding Suzuki's for all his life and I've grown up on one as well (GS1100G with a sidecar) we figured an old Suzuki would be the best choice. Decent power and unparalelled reliability.

Looked at all the old GS and GSX models, both 750's and 1100's. And after a while, I found an add for a nice GSX1100EF.

400 miles down south.

My previous bike. The for sale promo clip...

Jumped into the car the next day and drove all the way down, took it out for a ride, paid up and went home.

After that, the GSX enjoyed a nice summer of about 3400 miles. Some carb problems along the way but that was fixed by a set of CV36's from a GSXR1100.

During summer I had collected a few bits for the build. New front forks from a Hayabusa, swing arm and wheels from my dads XJR1300 plus a bunch of other bits. From the start, the idea was just to do something along these lines:

New, extended swing arm with a mono-shock, new wheels and new forks.

But as we all know - one thing leads to another and on that way it was...

Tore the bike down to the bare frame in order to start figuring out how much machining the swingarm needed in order to fit the relatively narrow GSX frame (236mm inside the swingarm pivot).

A friend had a slightly cracked FJ1100 spoiler which I decided to try fitting.

Looked pretty good. (slightly modified by me)

Then I started working on the rear end a bit. Didn't want to keep the old rear light so I opted for a different design for the rear end. Married a chopped up GSXR seat cowl to the sidepanels from the EFE.

This is pretty much the point where I decided it wanted to be a "what-if" Yoshimura AMA superbike from the early 80's. Since they never raced with this bike, I thought it would be kinda cool to build one.

Last edited by Guest; 08-12-2010, 01:04 PM.

Again, this led to that...

Mock-up with a Ohlins shock from my dads XJR.

Quick job in MS Paint to show the kind of look I'm aiming for. Naturally, the greyish green primer will be a nice white. Obligatory Yoshimura sticker on the side of the tank.

Since I kind of had the look figured out by now, I decided it was time to tear it down completely in order to work out the mechanical bits of the build. What did I need to do?

• Have new yokes for the front forks made
    • Machine the swingarm to fit
    • Build a completely new subframe
    • Build a completely new exhaust (from the manifold and up under the seat)
    • Buy a pair of shocks

...and so on...

Comment

These turned up in the mail a few days ago. My babies.

Like new but paid less than half the price.

Oh, almost forgot about the beautiful yokes.

Headlight turned up too. Quickly made a bracket to get an idea of how it would look...

...and so, this is pretty much where it stands as of today:

Looking forward to sharing ideas with you all!

Comment

Originally posted by Mindless View Post
        These turned up in the mail a few days ago. My babies.

Like new but paid less than half the price.

Oh, almost forgot about the beautiful yokes.

Headlight turned up too. Quickly made a bracket to get an idea of how it would look...

...and so, this is pretty much where it stands as of today:

Looking forward to sharing ideas with you all!

For an unemployed guy you are doing a very nice build there. Nice parts selection. Those Ohlins are nice; they are like hen's teeth in the US. The height adjustment and easy preload adjust is sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          For an unemployed guy you are doing a very nice build there. Nice parts selection. Those Ohlins are nice; they are like hen's teeth in the US. The height adjustment and easy preload adjust is sweet.
          It's all about priorities. Sold some stuff to fund them though.

Here in Sweden the fully adjustable shocks retail for about 14000SEK ($2000). I paid 6000SEK ($1000), and they just came back from being serviced with new piston seals and stuff so they are like new. A set of extra springs were included too.

The adjustment possibilities aren't bad to have, especially when I might torment the bike on the track in the future.
          Last edited by Guest; 12-02-2009, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Keep the pics coming, I'm enjoying your build. Unlike OldSkoolSuzuki we don't get too many GS1150 builds to follow.

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman View Post
              Keep the pics coming, I'm enjoying your build. Unlike OldSkoolSuzuki we don't get too many GS1150 builds to follow.
              Thanks!

I've lurked here for a while now and I agree - there aren't many GS1150/GSX1135 builds around.

Got a small update. Went and picked up the swingarm extensions from my friend with all the nice machines yesterday. Asked him to do some final machining on them to get the right look.

My dad also finished the final lathe work on the "torque strut" (dunno what the hell it's called in English, but you get the idea) for the rear break caliper. Finished off with some stainless steel ears (expensive as ****, glad I got them for free).

More to come...

Comment

I asked this same question on the other thread with your bike (which is absolutely killer BTW). Love all the trick stuff done to it, but do you think the tail light will stand up to the heat generated by the pipe in that position. Would hate to see it damaged.
                1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
                  I asked this same question on the other thread with your bike (which is absolutely killer BTW). Love all the trick stuff done to it, but do you think the tail light will stand up to the heat generated by the pipe in that position. Would hate to see it damaged.
                  Thanks.

Regarding your question: I'll be building some sort of heatshield in order to protect it from getting fried by the exhaust.

Basically it will be something along these lines:

Whole construction is out of some 2 or 2,5mm aluminium sheet as well as some aluminium tubing.

1. the aluminium tubes slide into the subframe tubes and is held in place by two bolts.

Should work.

Comment

Hi folks, Viktor from Sweden here. I'm a 21 year old, currently unemployed electrician.....

• Have new yokes for the front forks made
                    • Machine the swingarm to fit
                    • Build a completely new subframe
                    • Build a completely new exhaust (from the manifold and up under the seat)
                    • Buy a pair of shocks

...and so on...
                    Looks great, really love the under-seat Yosh!
                    21 years old eh....is this your first build?

Tony.
                    '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                    Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
                      Looks great, really love the under-seat Yosh!
                      21 years old eh....is this your first build?

Tony.
                      The underseat was actually a sort of compromize in the beginning (had it mocked up with a different can) because the swingarm was so wide and because I had moved the rearsets so I couldn't find a good spot to run the exhaust. But the idea of a underseat exhaust grew on me and so I bought this Yoshimura can.

And yes - this is my first build.

Well, technically it's my second. I helped build my dads bike last winter (truth be told, I assembled most of it ).

Comment

Really diggin your project, I am definitly subscribed. Is that Yammi an FZ? I dont recognize it, but it looks absolutly killer

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                          Is that Yammi an FZ? I dont recognize it, but it looks absolutly killer
                          Appears to be a Yam XJR1200....not sold in N. America.

Tony.
                          '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                          Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

awesome bike wouldnt ya know it they arent selling it here

Comment

Actually it's a XJR1300, but it looks pretty much same as the 1200.

Did the final work on one of the swingarm extensions last night. Smoothed off some sharp edges with the router and cut the rear ends at a 45-degree angle.

Only subtle changes but I think it looks completely different now.
                              Last edited by Guest; 12-04-2009, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X