Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wiring Diagram for Heated grips through a relay

salty_monk is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Sorry for confusion, it was late

Original is rated 10A 125v (no mention of AC or DC from memory). The new one is rated 6A 125v (again no mention of AC or DC).

I guess the voltage is the giveaway.. Seems to be the switch Brian is using & they are cheap so if it goes I'll replace it. As you say trial & error.

Not sure I can be bothered to wire in 2 relays (it has 2 circuits (heaters have 3 wires) for hi low so only way I can see being able to switch the relay is to switch 1 relay for each circuit.

Dan

1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold

www.agadisplay.com
    www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

bwringer is offline Forum LongTimer Bard Award Winner
    GSResource Superstar
    Super Site Supporter

It'll be fine, really.

The biggest problem is how to solder the wires onto those teensy-tiny mini terminals on the back of that wee little switch. You need beady eyes, nerves of steel, and steady hands.

Here's a really crappy pic of the switch on my VX800 -- the switch on my GS850 is mounted the same way. It's a simple tab of stainless steel (crudely pounded flat and painted black) with a 1/4" hole at each end. You can sort of see that the switch body is covered with shrink tubing for a nice clean look and weather resistance.

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

Past Site Supporter

Thanks! think I have room on my custom ignition \gauge plate on this one although your idea really puts it at hand so maybe I'll go with that.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!

www.agadisplay.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

GS1000G Shopper Guest

Quote Originally Posted by salty_monk View Post
    Anyone have one to hand? I have the Symtec grip heaters with 3 wires, no resistors (came higly recommended on here from CA Sport Touring) http://www.casporttouring.com/store/...and_cont_%2450

I haven't put a lot of time into it yet but I'm wondering if there is a way to get the relay to do the bulk of the switching work rather than running the full load through the switch. The switch that came with it is huge & I have picked up a much smaller one from "the shack" DPDT Mini Toggle but it's only rated at 6A (125v) rather than 10A (125v). The switch is a 3 position for "hi / low".

The only obvious way I can think of involves using two relays....

Cheers,

Dan
    Old thread, but occasionally someone runs across them and may need a diagram. Since there was not one posted I thought I'd help out. I had a two-speed fan relay setup in a V8 RX-7 that was very similar.. and very easy to modify the diagram. This uses a three position switch low/off/high.
    Two automotive SPDT type relays:

Assumptions-
    12 volts comes into the switch.
    If off, it goes nowhere.
    If low, high is not energized and it energizes the low relay coil and sends the load to the low input of the heater.
    If high, low is not energized and it energizes the high relay coil and sends the load to the high input of the heater.

Past Site Supporter

I actually wired them like this

BW is a ground. I actually picked up the orange wire in the rear light bundle as a switching wire from memory.

2nd relay wasn't necessary as the switch can handle even the high current fine.
    For something more powerful a 2nd relay would protect the switch though. Good diagram.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!

www.agadisplay.com