Back off 1/4 or no on head retorque

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by makr View Post
    They are supposed to stretch. That is how a fastener works. Just like a rubber band. The whole point of torquing a bolt is getting it to the "stretched point,and with cylinder/head expansion, yet not getting to the yield point, which is the point of failure...when the little molecules start letting go of each others hands.

The proper way to stretch a bolt is to measure it static, and then stretched to it proper load specified by the manufacturer. Since this is impossible to do in most cylinder head bolt/stud applications, we use torque value, or torque angle as the Germans like. Either way works fine. The reason you need to lube the threads and especially the under head of the bolt head is to give the best "lab" results of proper stretch for that particular fastner.

Interesting the comitec gasket is looked down on in this application. I have used them on a bunch of FI BMW car engines with excellent results.

Go to ARPs website it is all explained in laymans terms.

I am okay with being a nerd. Also being corrected if I am wrong.

I always understood that the color you see is every other color than the one you see so it is refracted back, all the others are absorbed. :dunno
    Good to see more support for MLS gaskets.

There is another thread on site where Vesrah gaskets were condemned. It later transpired that they had been copied by a pirating company, causing Vesrah a tarnished reputation, when their previous track record had been very good. Substandard material quality was the issue.

It is highly possible that the 16V Cometic MLS head gasket failures reported here could be attributed to poor tooling by another pirated attempt.

In my case, the "Vesrah " gasket set I purchased for my 850 did appear genuine in it's packaging appearance. I've moved on, to MLS. I believe that Suzuki may have too!!
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
    GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
    GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
    GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
    http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

The gasket in question that was installed by the Bozo crew was in the Wiseco 1168 kit. I would hope Cometic isn't putting pirated gaskets in the Wiseco kits.
      There has been more than one person with the problem with ****ing oil after installing the MLS gasket for the 16 valve 1100s. They mixed up the crush ring from the oil sending port of the head with the return port.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
        The gasket in question that was installed by the Bozo crew was in the Wiseco 1168 kit. I would hope Cometic isn't putting pirated gaskets in the Wiseco kits.
        There has been more than one person with the problem with ****ing oil after installing the MLS gasket for the 16 valve 1100s. They mixed up the crush ring from the oil sending port of the head with the return port.
        No one is disputing the accuracy of your accounts of the 16V 1100 MLS gaskets. I wasn't aware that they were part of the Wiseco Kits though.

When competition gets tough, companies are often tempted to try a cheaper substitute, often a pirated item. Not suggesting that this has happened here, but it is something to be wary of.

The other possibility is when a warehouse decides to give a new commer into the market place a try. Often these products are inferior/counerfeit products that are touted as the "Real McCoy".
        The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold

Comment

Originally posted by 49er View Post
          It is highly possible that the 16V Cometic MLS head gasket failures reported here could be attributed to poor tooling by another pirated attempt.

!!
          We have been describing a Cometic gasket and not anything else. We are NOT talking about "pirated" gaskets.

Katman has told me that he was told by a Cometic Engineer that it was a tooling problem that could not be fixed. This was following attempts to fix the problem for Katman.

Neither Bill nor I have any vested interest in the MLS gasket . Our sole motive is to inform anybody else planning on using a Weisco 1166 Kit that the Cometic MLS gasket that it comes with is defective and will cause much frustration.

What does a 8V gasket have to do with this? What evidence have you got to dispute any of the above? Better question is why have you repeatedly attempted to deflect any blame from Cometic MLS gaskets when there have multiple persons who have experienced the same issue.

What is your interest in protecting Cometic?
          Last edited by posplayr; 01-03-2010, 03:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
            We have been describing a Cometic gasket and not anything else. We are NOT talking about "pirated" gaskets.

Katman has told me that he was told by a Cometic Engineer that it was a tooling problem that could not be fixed. This was following attempts to fix the problem for Katman.

Neither Bill nor I have any vested interest in the MLS gasket . Our sole motive is to inform anybody else planning on using a Weisco 1166 Kit that the Cometic MLS gasket that it comes with is defective and will cause much frustration.

What does a 8V gasket have to do with this? What evidence have you got to dispute any of the above? Better question is why have you repeatedly attempted to deflect any blame from Cometic MLS gaskets when there have multiple persons who have experienced the same issue.

What is your interest in protecting Cometic?
            I have no vested interest. If Cometic have admitted they stuffed up with their tooling on that series of gaskets, so be it. Amen!!

Comment

Originally posted by 49er View Post
              No one is disputing the accuracy of your accounts of the 16V 1100 MLS gaskets. I wasn't aware that they were part of the Wiseco Kits though.

When competition gets tough, companies are often tempted to try a cheaper substitute, often a pirated item. Not suggesting that this has happened here, but it is something to be wary of.

The other possibility is when a warehouse decides to give a new commer into the market place a try. Often these products are inferior/counerfeit products that are touted as the "Real McCoy".
              The guy that owns Cometic worked for Wiseco for many years. Wisecos have had genuine Cometics since Cometic went into business.
              Speed Merchant
              http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jay View Post
                The guy that owns Cometic worked for Wiseco for many years. Wisecos have had genuine Cometics since Cometic went into business.
                Betcha ya didn't read all 12 pages.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                X