Spinning squeek when moving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spinning squeek when moving

Lame way to describe it I know but I have a 1980 GS850L and when I get about to second gear I start to get a squeaking noise that at first I thought was coming from maybe rub on the caliper but it seems to be going with engine/transmission rotation. It kind of sounds like when a belt is slipping in a car but not nearly as loud. When I hit freeway speed it sounds more like a high buzzing.

Running-wise the bike is fine.

I know this is really vague but if anyone has an idea I'd appreciate input.

Thanks

might be the speedo... disconnect the cable from the back of ther gauge & see if the nise disappears...
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Good call, I'll check that.

Thanks

Comment

That was the problem. I started the bike and drove a bit with my hand on the speedo and noticed that it was vibrating with the noise, gave it a good smack and the noise went away. It's since returned but at least I know what it is now.

Thanks hikermike

Comment

A good smack always works for me.......try lubing the cable.

Oh my......that doesn't sound good, does it ?!?!
          Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I have pretty much the same problem with my Wing, but it only shows up when the temperature is below about 40.

My problem is that it takes about an hour of Tupperware removal to get to the back of the speedometer. Fortunately, a couple of bulbs have burned out in the dashboard display, making that project just a little more justifiable.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
              A good smack always works for me.......try lubing the cable.

Disconnect the cable at both ends & pull it out of the sheath. Inspect for frayed areas & kinks - clean it up (both cable & sheath) with some carb cleaner & lube it back up. Chain wax works well as a lube (tip fron Chef )

Don't whack the speedo too hard, you'll break the needle off!! Try shooting some oil up into the speedo cable hole as well, best if you can turn the gage upside down for that...
              '85 GS550L - SOLD
              '85 GS550E - SOLD
              '82 GS650GL - SOLD
              '81 GS750L - SOLD
              '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
              '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
              '82 GS1100G - SOLD
              '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

I'll do that, thanks all for the advice.

Comment

Hey all new here.
                  I had a speedo doing an awlful squeal at most any speed above 30 on my 450L. I took the thing apart and when I turned the input and applied a small force it would squeal. I rinsed out the 25 plus years of crap and the squeal stopped. I added some lithium greasse and I'll put it back together and see how long it goes. Might just do the tach as well so I don't have to do that one next year!

Comment

Dr450L, I'm having the exact same problem with my GS550 speedometer. Before I knew what it was it snapped the 30 year old cable. I just replaced that and the noise is back so I need to look into the speedometer itself before it breaks this cable.

Do you know how to take the thing apart? Any references or online guides to use? What should I look for once in there? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by DrWick View Post
                      Dr450L, I'm having the exact same problem with my GS550 speedometer. Before I knew what it was it snapped the 30 year old cable. I just replaced that and the noise is back so I need to look into the speedometer itself before it breaks this cable.

Do you know how to take the thing apart? Any references or online guides to use? What should I look for once in there? Thanks!

It is usually not necessary to take anything apart. The parts inside may just need lubrication.

Using a spray tube attached to the nozzle, spray a liquid lube into the bottom of the speedometer head. It is best if this is done with the speedo upside down to keep the lube from running back out, but it can work while in place.

WD40 is not recommended as a lubricant, use .
                      "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                      Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Before I could try this the speedometer ate my new cable. It was twisted apart. Should I try to lube the speedometer and get a new cable or get a new speedometer?

Comment

Originally posted by DrWick View Post
                          Before I could try this the speedometer ate my new cable. It was twisted apart. Should I try to lube the speedometer and get a new cable or get a new speedometer?
                          It it has jammed up enough to twist the cable, then it is likely the parts inside have come loose and shifted. That leads to the parts jamming, and thus not permitting the cable to turn properly. It can happen because the parts were boilted inside, and the bolts come loose over time, but they are inaccessible from outside the case.

The speedo head is sealed, but it is possible to open it, by cutting a slice just below the lens, all around the body, using a thin blade hacksaw, and removing the glass.
                          Repair is then possible, and the top is re-affixed with JB Weld or a simnilar product.

It is sometimes possible to open it by carefully prying up the edge of the case around the glass with a tiny, flat-blade screwdriver. That takes patience.

If the glass breaks you can get a piece cut at a glass shop and replace it while the top is off, or even substitute it with plexiglass.

I used the plastic on mine.

Otherwise..look for a replacement speedo head.
                          "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                          Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Working...
                          X