Starting a long dormant engine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting a long dormant engine.

Well the time had finally come today to try and fire the 750 Kat engine. As documented in another thread it didn't start .

Now I reread all the threads on hard starting and just wanted to check something with you. The valves were adjusted when the head was put back on and the carbs were dipped and rebuilt (including o-rings). The battery is 2 years old out of the GS but is still strong. The starter does crank and there are clean plugs and they do spark. The only component missing is the airbox as I'm waiting for fresh boots.

Over and over, I've read that a proper sealing airbox is necessary for these bikes to run right but I've run other bikes without so I wonder will I not be able to even start it without an airbox? Am I wasting my time?

Wondering what the opinions are on this.

Cheers all,
    Spyug

I don't think it will start without some restriction (airbox) on the intake side...

Some of these GS machines are super sensitive regarding the amount of air/restriction needed to properly make the carbs operate as intended.

For example, my '85 550L will not run if the seat is removed because the airbox snorkel is aligned with the seat underside to regulate the exact amount of air needed to mix in the carbs. If I put my hand over the snorkel intake the bike will run, remove it & the bike dies...

I believe Steve has posted that a clean shop rag draped over the carb intakes will usually provide enough restriction to get the bike running...

Maybe just use the old boots 'till ther new ones show up??

Good luck
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

huh...

most of the threads i have read about not having the airbox on was that the bike ran crappy and died frequently, they were able to start it.

however, maybe your bike is super sensitive to its air... just another aspect of the bike's personality

Comment

I'm pretty sure the bike should start, but run poorly without the airbox. Are you getting any fire at all? If not, did you pull a couple of plugs to see if they are wet? If the plugs are dry, open a couple of carb drain plugs to see if gas is inside.

One other thing to check is the cam timing. It's pretty easy to get the cams 180 degrees out (don't ask me how I know).

Keep going and you will figure it out.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Long dormant

If I am firing a long dormant engine, I usually start by pulling the plugs, putting a little wd-40 in each cylinder, then spinning the engine until oil pressure is solid. Then put the plugs back in, hook all back up and fire at idle, it should idle if adjustment is close, vacum on most CV units between filter and carb enhances responsiveness, total performance.

Comment

When I was working on my 850 it wouldnt even start without the airbox.

Bad memory edit..
            It did start but would only run for a few seconds on the first try. But after that it wouldnt unless the box was installed.
            Last edited by Octain; 01-03-2010, 03:38 PM.
            sigpic

82 GS850
            78 GS1000
            04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
            .................________-|___\____
            ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

My 550 set for 24 years. I did a quick carb clean first to see if the engine was any good at all before spending any cash. It started after being "primed" with starting fluid but would barely run with no air box. The intake boots and o-rings were shot. It now has pods and drag pipes but I put a dynojet stage 3 kit in. It runs like a mad banshee!

Comment

Compression, spark and gas is all you need.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

This past spring, I had to resort to some starting fluid sprayed into the airbox to help get my bike fired up for the first time. No air filter in place, but the box was connected to the carbs - fired up and ran fine. So, if you can at least get the old box on, might start easier.
                  Last edited by gs scott; 01-03-2010, 05:48 PM. Reason: additional info
                  Scott
                  1982 GS1000S #1 bought in 84, #2 gone, #3 in hibernation
                  1983 GS1100ES #1 (bought in 03, July 09 BOM, 65k traded in 17), #2 New daily rider, #3 in hibernation
                  1982 GS1100E Red #1 - Original owner, sold in 93, #2 (Red) sold in 20 to Andy B
                  2018 Gold Wing Tour - new out of the crate 1st non-Suzuki in 38 years
                  sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys.

Tried everything I could think of today including the Quickstart . Absolutely nothing even approximating trying to start.

Battery was fully charged and the starter cranks away. Voltage checks out at the coils and there is spark at each of the plugs. I can't check compression as I don't have an adapter to fit for my tester but there is compression when I hold my finger over the hole.

I even changed the carbs for a set that had worked on my GS. Still nothing, no bangs or backfires, spitting through the carbs nothing. On every other bike I've worked on, I've always managed to get some sign of life. Even with almost non existant compression.

This has got me baffled and all I can think of is I've got valve timing off but that seems unlikely as there no nasty sounds when I first turned the engine over after getting the head back on.

I guess I now might have to pop off the valve cover and see that things are lined up correctly and check that I set the valves properly. that and get a compression tester on it.

Any thing else I should be checking?

Cheers all,
                    spyug

Comment

Nope, I would start with timing.
                      Cam and make sure you don't have the ignition timing off 180 degrees.
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Before ya start taking stuff apart remove the plugs and spray a few skeets of gasoline into the chambers. Re-install the plugs and fire that beast up.
                        Like Chef said, fire, gas, and compression..
                        sigpic

82 GS850
                        78 GS1000
                        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                        .................________-|___\____
                        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Thanks guys.

Tried all that stuff and as I said even tried quickstart (ether). Not even a hint of combustion.

Now I took off the valve cover and checked the timing marks. Everything is spot on. I checked the valve clearances and they are all around .12mm.

So now the only other thing is compression and I'll need to get a new fitting for my guage to test that.

Its truly confounding. I'm relatively new to bikes but I've built numerous 4, 6, and 8 cylinder engines including several race preps over the last 40 years so I'm somewhat experienced in getting things to fire. I can't remember ever having such a tough time with an engine.

Right now I'm scratching my bald head and the worst part is this will keep me awake all night until I figure it.

Stay tuned.

Cheers all,
                          Spyug

Comment

have u checked your starting assembly?

does your starter gear and clutch engage?

maybe the starter gear isn't functioning properly?

Comment

I almost hate to suggest this but is the kill switch working like it should? I am sure you have not overlooked this though. Good luck.
                              Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                              '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                              '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                              '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                              '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Working...
                              X