83 GS750E rebuild thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS750E rebuild thread.

i figured i might as well document some of what i have been doing with my bike. first a little background. its a 1983 gs750e. was not running when i got it. had been sitting in a garage for a few years. then before that it was in a shed for a few years. the po began to take the bike apart. only for the cosmetic stuff off thow. airbox was pretty much smashed. the po had tried to rejet the carbs for pods but failed. the bike never ran good enough after that to move so it has just been sitting in a few different spots for a few years. the bike was pretty clean except for a lot of dust. the carbs were in bad shape. there was gas in with the oil, the front brake lever and master cylinder were broken. no turn signals. on the plus side it came with a kerker 4-1 exhaust and a dead snake under the seat.

since getting the bike i have put the body back together. attempted to clean the carbs( more on that in a minute). changed the oil, filter, and spark plugs. did the coil relay mod. put a new front brake lever and master cylinder on. bled the brakes. cleaned and lubed the clutch cable, throttle cable. choke cable, spedo cable, and anything else i could. did the quick throttle mod. now about the carbs. they were all gunked up. they looked like they had been taken off the bike and thrown around for a few weeks. inside was horrible too. but after a half assed cleaning the bike aftually started. ran horrible but it started. attempted to clean the carbs a lot better but as i tore farther into them i noticed more stripped and broken parts. so i have a set of fresh carbs comming from a board member and am saving up for a dj3 kit. i have a set of pod filters that i got from a friends. i have to take the exhaust off and sandblast all the rust off, weld some holes shut, and repaint them. thinking about header wrap but since it will be in my shed when not ridden it will soak up a lot of moisture and that means rust.

next on my list is going to be stripping the paint off and deciding on a color, the seat is freshly recovered in a silver leather looking material so that kinda limits me unless i recover it. i kinda want to cut the seat foam down anyways so i may do black on black, or black with a bit of teal to match my helmet lol. clean up the electrical connections. new battery. new front tire. and checking the front and rear suspension for wear and broken parts.

oh and i will be posting pictures as soon as i have a nice enough day to roll the bike out of the shed. any tips or ideas are welcome. i think im gonna go for a streetfighter/cafe kinda ride.

I'll help you with the jetting when you get the DJ kit.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I apretiate it. Youve already been a huge help with the carbs. I figure im just going to follow the dj instuctions and then work from wot down to idle. I think i may be comming into another bike as a birthday present. Its an 85 gr650 tempter. I guess it needs a lot of work. But its a zuki so im sure it will be fun.

Comment

Originally posted by piester View Post
        I apretiate it. Youve already been a huge help with the carbs. I figure im just going to follow the dj instuctions and then work from wot down to idle. I think i may be comming into another bike as a birthday present. Its an 85 gr650 tempter. I guess it needs a lot of work. But its a zuki so im sure it will be fun.
        You know I left the jetting stock in those carbs.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

yeah. im going to be getting a dj3 as soon as i can afford it.

Comment

Sweet! I am very interested in how it goes.

Comment

heres a bit of an update. so far i have gotten my new carbs, gotten a new battery, removed the exhaust system to clean, patch, re-pack the kerker muffler, and paint. fabricated bar end mirrors, changed the lock in the gascap and put the ignition switch from my 850 on because the 750 key was broken. lubed the clutch, choke, and throttle cables. replaced the headlight housing and trim ring and bulb. changed oil and filter.

right now i have a dj3 kit, front tire, brake and clutch levers, new muffler packing material, 4 new turn signals, and battery tender on its way to me. so as soon as all that arives i will have everything i need to get her back on the road. adding pictures on my next post

Comment

I will tell ya now, there is not a lot of foam on the seat as it is, I don't know how much you are going to cut off. I also don't know how well the slides will rise with pods, there may not be enough vacuum.

Comment

Isnt that what the air restrictors in the dj kit and drilling the slides helps with?

Comment

Isnt that what the air restrictors in the dj kit and drilling the slides helps with?
                    You're learning.
                    Actually the air restrictors for the main air jet just limits the air in the main jet mixture.
                    You're right about the slides though.

Comment

thats kinda what i thought. with pods, a 4-1, and the dj3 should i not have the hoses on the 2 vacume ports that are on the carbs and connect to nothing? also. in regards to my petcock, when talking about vacume vs. manual. is there an advantage either way? assuming both are in working order. all i can see is vacume would be simpler as you wouldnt have to remember to shut it off, and manual would be safer as you wouldnt haveto worry about gas inthe crank case. correct? what about overall flow?. i searched for a while about this on this site and google but i seem to be getting conflicting info

Comment

On mine, I ran out of fuel at WOT if the petcock was not in the Prime position.
                        I also had more: cam, compression and cc's though.

Eric

Comment

hm. maybe ill look into a manual petcock. mine is the stocker so i didnt know if i was going to get a stock replacement or go manual. someting else i noticed is that this bike has a round headlight and the clip ons apear to be the same as ive seen on the katanas of that time frame. am i crazy? or could this bike not be a gs750e?

Comment

hm. maybe ill look into a manual petcock. mine is the stocker so i didnt know if i was going to get a stock replacement or go manual. someting else i noticed is that this bike has a round headlight and the clip ons apear to be the same as ive seen on the katanas of that time frame. am i crazy? or could this bike not be a gs750e?
                            Is it like mine in my avatar only without the fairing?
                            Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Its MAD ,is the vin# tag gone? should be able to tell year +model by that.My 1983 gs 750 e has a box frame, square headlight, mono shock rear suspension, hope that might help ya a little. Got pics?

Comment

Working...
                              X