No announcement yet.

83 GS750E rebuild thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone? Haha. I have no clue what im looking at here. I tried to explain as best as i could.

Comment

If you have tried known good coils then I'd check the igniter.
      Instead of chasing ignition woes get some green Dyna coils and a Dyna S.
      Have you tried to start it with the better connections on the plug wires and a different solenoid?
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I dont really know if any of them are good. When the do fire its a pale orange yellow spark. The plugs are new. How would i test the ignitor?

Comment

If your getting spark that's good.
          Unplug the power to the coil and the headlight and see how many volts are getting to that coil.
          Is the battery and charging system good?
          I'd do the coil mod.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

battery is good. charging system is good as far as i know. i have already done the coil mod. the thing that confuses me is 1 and 4 fire just fine. 2 and 3 dont fire. but then i took 2 and 3 off and then put 3 back on it would fire if i held the cap to the plug without pushing it all the way down. i think im just gonna snag another set of coils and caps. do coils come with new caps? and where can i get them at a good price. denniskirk had them for 40-50 a piece.

Comment

Originally posted by piester View Post
              i think im just gonna snag another set of coils and caps. do coils come with new caps? and where can i get them at a good price. denniskirk had them for 40-50 a piece.
              Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Eric

Comment

so is that what i should do? get new coils, wires, and caps? i dont really understand the readings i got when i tested my coils

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                  If you have tried known good coils then I'd check the igniter.
                  Instead of chasing ignition woes get some green Dyna coils and a Dyna S.
                  Have you tried to start it with the better connections on the plug wires and a different solenoid?
                  I would listen to Chef before you buy any parts.

Eric

Comment

i did. i have already done the coil relay mod. i am getting power directly from the battery for them.

Comment

oh, and will the igniter from my 81 850g fit on my 83 750e?

Comment

Originally posted by piester View Post
                        oh, and will the igniter from my 81 850g fit on my 83 750e?
                        If they both have mechanical advances they will but I don't think the 750 does.

Comment

well i was going to get a new set of coils anyways so ill just snag those and new caps and see what that brings me

Comment

If you have two sets of coils and one is known good why would you buy more?
                            Check the coils like this.
                            Connect the orange/white wire to the positive terminal on the battery.
                            The white or black wire connect to the negative terminal. Put a plug in one of the wires and ground it to metal.
                            Let the coil charge and then disconnect the negative wire and the plug should fire.

Comment

the one set isnt known to be good. it came off of a bike that ran poorly, hit a deer, then wouldnt run half the time. then the coils sat off the bike on my shed floor covered in snow and frozen to the ground. right next to the ones from my 750e. i didnt realize that my shed had a leak in it so all 4 of my coils sat in a puddle then froze to the ground. so im kinda weary of all of them. i tested them as you said. would get a spark every now and then depending on how i held the coil and plug. plug was grounded solidly. im going to go to basecliffs website and go through the ignition test stuff before i buy anything

Comment

ok well after taking the resistors out of the plug caps and replacing them with a bit of brass all 4 plugs fire when grounded to the block. 1 and 4 have a much brighter spark than 2 and 3 thow. plugs 1 and 4 are much newer thow. so my next step is to replace the plugs, caps, and wires as all of them are old and work hardened very badly. when i fired it up it was about 5 degrees out. it seemed to run on all 4. idled nicely with the choke closed after it warmed for a bit. but then after a bit 2 and 3 didnt seem to be firing anymore. any advice on what plugs, wires, and caps to get? and before anyone asks, the plug wires on these coils are very easily replaced. i think i need solid copper core wires (i found 7mm, 19 strand copper core), D8ea plugs, and 2 each of plug caps vd05f and xd05f. sound about right?

Comment

Working...
                                X