Minimal 550 Bobber Schematic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minimal 550 Bobber Schematic

I was asked (and was paid $20 Wahoo) to put together a schematic for a GS550 Bobber project. I followed the GS550 Suzuki electrical design (mostly). I used the last schematic in the manual which is located in Bike cliff's website. The schematic could be made even simpler, but if it omits fusing and proper grounding then in my view it is "too simple". The schematic is intended to be taken literally as far as the physical layout and connections of the harness. So check the notes section that goes with the letters on the schematic and make note of all Ground symbols. Frame ground and case grounds have different symbols. The black dots show when connections between wires should be made; otherwise the wires are not connected. I used the OEM colors for each circuit as best I could.
    The items included in the schematic are:
    ·Battery
    ·Fuse box (stock GS)
    ·Ignition switch (2 wire after-market)
    · Kill switch and Starter switch (button) (OEM)
    ·Starter
    ·Starter Solenoid
    ·550 Igniter
    ·Coils
    ·Stator
    ·R/R (5 wire)
    ·Frame grounds
    ·Ignition Kill Switch

Some Notes:
    • There are no lights/blinkers included in the schematic. Obviously they should be added.

Generally I would not run the stator leg through the handlebar switch (this is generally recommended on all GS's) but rather have the headlamp on all the time and direct connect the 3 stator wires to the R/R.

The OEM fuse box has unused circuits for things like lights.
    • No gages? You can add a wires for the coil (-) for the electronic tach, lights. (I left a ground in the harness running from front to back)
    • This could be modified easily for a Coil relay mod. This would be simple to do now. (I left it out)
    • There is an extra ground wire because some people may not have the starter solenoid and R/R mounted on the same plate. If you relocate igniter, solenoid, R/R to the same plate then things get simpler. Just make sure the Star grounding configuration at the R/R is maintained.
    • Any other accessories can be added to the extra circuits shown

The pdf file was created in Powerpoint so if someone wants that powerpoint file (PM me) they can change the colors of the wires for any other color sets they might want. The pdf of the version using stock colors is below.

The various symbols came right off the 550 schematic so if you study that and this you should be able to make decisions with respect to reusing old connectors or just wiring directly. Anything not connected is obviously not being used.

EDIT: THIS IS BAD LINK:
    Here is a Pdf version with much more resolution.
    http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/..._Schematic.pdf
    Here is the original powerpoint file that you can modify as you like. This includes a coil relay mod and some other changes.

A little discussion on lighting

Last edited by posplayr; 05-06-2016, 12:15 AM.

Did you get your twenty worth?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I'd say so.

Comment

Looks good - You definitely earned the 20$

One tiny comment/suggestion though:

At the earlier 550 (with separate rectifier and voltage regulator), one of the stator wires was only connected when the headlight was on. Obviously the headlight is permanetly off in this setup.
        For the more modern rectifier/regulators it is not a problem, but would it be an idea, to omit one of the stator wires and keep the heat down anyway.

Best Regards
        Stig
        77 GS550B

Comment

Originally posted by POULSEN View Post
          Looks good - You definitely earned the 20$

One tiny comment/suggestion though:

At the earlier 550 (with separate rectifier and voltage regulator), one of the stator wires was only connected when the headlight was on. Obviously the headlight is permanetly off in this setup.
          For the more modern rectifier/regulators it is not a problem, but would it be an idea, to omit one of the stator wires and keep the heat down anyway.

Best Regards
          Stig
          Hi Stig,
          Yes you will note that I left all the lights and controls out as was requested but you bring up a good point about the headlamp control and it's coupling to the charging system.

Generally I would not run the stator leg through the handlebar switch (this is generally recommended on all GS's) but rather have the headlamp on all the time and direct connect the 3 stator wires to the R/R.

I'll add a note to the first post.

Jim

Comment

Here is a color code list generated by BassCliff which should also be very helpful

Comment

G'day. I'm about to rewire the GS1100 and I'm going to use this wiring diagram. One question I have with the Lights, indicators, and customised tacho that I'm hooking up, Is it ok to run these off the one fuse? Or is that a bad idea?

So I'm thinking, One 10amp fuse, that would go to both indicator relays, one to the headlight switch, and one to the brake switch...
              Thoughts?

Comment

Do you ever ride at night?

Are you comfortable with the concept of hitting the brakes, having some wire short out (blowing the fuse) and losing your headlight while at speed?

Not only that, but your headlight draws about 5 amps. Your coils draw about 8 amps. That alone would blow your fuse.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Do you ever ride at night?

Are you comfortable with the concept of hitting the brakes, having some wire short out (blowing the fuse) and losing your headlight while at speed?

Not only that, but your headlight draws about 5 amps. Your coils draw about 8 amps. That alone would blow your fuse.

yea, rather than reinvent the wheel figure out what was on the same circuit and reinstall that way.

Comment

Clarification has been obtained! rewiring now...

Comment

Thank you. I will be using this on my bike over the winter. As the wiring is in sad shape and I have OCD when it comes to clean simple wiring lol

Comment

The link is not working and I am about to start the wiring on my bike. Anyone have this saved somewhere else?

Comment

I'm sure Jim has it saved.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                            I'm sure Jim has it saved.
                            That site has been doing free hosting for me since about 1999, and now seems to have deleted my account.

Comment

I know Jim isn't crazy about this crude drawing because it doesn't show ground points but it should help you connect the things that are really needed.

Comment

Working...
                              X