Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FAQ: RELAYS; how they work and how to wire it up...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    True enough, but I have never soldered directly to the relay. I have always used spade terminals to the relay contacts.

There is an advantage of doing it that way, too. If you use a socket, you have to overcome the tension of all 4 or 5 terminals, all at the same time.
    By just using spade connectors, you can do one at a time.

Another thing to remember for anyone comtemplating a relay "upgrade", ...
    there is nothing fancy or exotic about a relay. It's only a remote-controlled switch.

Steve, I was not suggesting soldering directly to a relay.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      Nice write up by Jim. Bumping this back up to the top. This diagram would have helped me when wiring up the coil relay mod on my bike...

that is kinda nice ;

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
        Steve, I was not suggesting soldering directly to a relay.
        No, but you did mention it back in post #8.

And I was just pointing out the advantage of individual spades instead of a socket.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          No, but you did mention it back in post #8.

And I was just pointing out the advantage of individual spades instead of a socket.

If you want to be difficult about it, I specifically pointed out that there was an advantage to using a relay connector in direct contrast to your comment that there was none.

Comment

I used individual spade terminals but would have preferred to use a socket. Either way though the connections are not water proof. I'd like to find a boot of some sort to cover the relay and wires to provide some protection. Any ideas?
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I use a socket for all of my relays (my bikes and my TransAm). Once everything is wired up, I put silicone in the end of the socket where the wires enter. Then I put dielectric grease in the socket end where the relay plugs in. This makes it relatively waterproof.
              IMHO sockets are much easier to use than individual wires, plus I don't have to worry about which wire goes where.

One thing I would like to point out that many seem to miss: Relays are rated at 40 Amps Off (87a) and 30 Amps On (87). Many seem to believe that they have a 40 Amp relay when really they have a 30 Amp relay because they use terminal 87.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                One thing I would like to point out that many seem to miss: Relays are rated at 40 Amps Off (87a) and 30 Amps On (87). Many seem to believe that they have a 40 Amp relay when really they have a 30 Amp relay because they use terminal 87.
                Interesting;

Comment

Interesting;
                  Yup. For example, my current batch are Yong Lin YL-314-C-12VDC. The printing on it says:
                  NO: 40A/14VDC
                  NC: 30A/14VDC
                  Normally Open (87a) 40A, Normally Closed (87) 30A.
                  I never dug into it so I am not sure why, but every one I have ever seen has been the same. CYOA, perhaps?
                  This observation only applies to 40A 5-terminal Bosch-style relays, others may differ.

Comment

Yup. For example, my current batch are Yong Lin YL-314-C-12VDC. The printing on it says:
                    NO: 40A/14VDC
                    NC: 30A/14VDC
                    Normally Open (87a) 40A, Normally Closed (87) 30A.
                    I never dug into it so I am not sure why, but every one I have ever seen has been the same. CYOA, perhaps?
                    This observation only applies to 40A 5-terminal Bosch-style relays, others may differ.
                    here is a detailed spec on the Tyco formerly Bosch relays

Comment

here is a detailed spec on the Tyco formerly Bosch relays

http://www.weltronics.com.cn/pdf/pli...4032588960.pdf
                      On page 73, 1 Form C is the 5 terminal relay. It is listed as 25/35A continuous. This allows a bit of surge when things start up and they can market it as a 40A relay. But the 35A continuous is for terminal 87a, which I normally do not use. The 25A is for terminal 87, which is the one I normally use. At a nominal 12V, this is 300 watts, which is a significant amount of power for anything bolted to a motorcycle.

Comment

On page 73, 1 Form C is the 5 terminal relay. It is listed as 25/35A continuous. This allows a bit of surge when things start up and they can market it as a 40A relay. But the 35A continuous is for terminal 87a, which I normally do not use. The 25A is for terminal 87, which is the one I normally use. At a nominal 12V, this is 300 watts, which is a significant amount of power for anything bolted to a motorcycle.
                        You will note that the "Max Limiting Continuous Current" is a function of temp and the 25/35A is at +85 degC. The turn-on currents are much higher (45/120A) and turn-off slightly lower (20/30A)

Comment

85C ~= 185F, which is probably the closest for our uses.
                          125C ~= 257F, which may be closer for under the hood of my TransAm, which means their current capacity drops off to 15A. I have several under the hood, but none have ever failed. I wonder...

Comment

Hi. I have 3 inquiries.

what happen if join using wire relay pin no. 87 with another relay pin no. 87?
                            Is the power still produce 12v or more than 12v or the relay might get malfunction?
                            And is the relay A pin no. 86 will feed current from another relay if relay B is switching on?

Comment

1. If you join two pins #87, you have the same thing that you would if just one of them turned on.
                              Might need a diagram to see what you are trying to control and why you have two relays that might be connected to each other.

2. The power will never go above 12 volts. Well, OK, it will go to about 14 volts as the charging stuff happens, but you will NOT get 24 volts. Malfunction? Likely not, but will still need to see a diagram or have a very good verbal description of what you are trying to do.

3. Will definitely need a diagram or description of this one. NOTE: pin 86 never "feeds" anything. It is part of the switching coil. You either feed it to trigger the relay or you connect it to ground. Again, a diagram to see what you are trying to do or a GOOD verbal description.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X