No announcement yet.

Degreeing Camshafts -- Information Required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw a pic of a big Kaw (1000, I think). The setup was the same as the GSes, the end lobe just dangles out there. Not sure why my bike is different. Hmmm.

Comment

Sorry I haven't posted pics of how I set up my indicator. Woke up with the stomach bug Saturday morning and have just started eating solid food today.
      I'm really missing riding my bike and will have back together soon, with pics.

Comment

Originally posted by spindle View Post
        Sorry I haven't posted pics of how I set up my indicator. Woke up with the stomach bug Saturday morning and have just started eating solid food today.
        I'm really missing riding my bike and will have back together soon, with pics.
        SPINDLE, how are those pictures coming along.

Thanks.

Comment

Sorry life got in the way. I'll get something for you in the next day or two.

Comment

Originally posted by spindle View Post
            Sorry life got in the way. I'll get something for you in the next day or two.
            OK Thanx.

Look forward to it.

Comment

GO TO kzrider.com there might be more info there.
              SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

A dial indicator extension works on the GS1000 2V and lets one rotate the enginine over & over without the cam contacting the dial indicator and screwing up the measurements. Since the 2V valve shims are all 29.5 mm it should work just fine on the GS650 etc. I mount the magnetic base on top of the cam cap with the V edge of the base wedged in front of the cap bolts.

No one responded to this thread but it appears others know the same info.

1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
                Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post
                  A dial indicator extension works on the GS1000 2V and lets one rotate the enginine over & over without the cam contacting the dial indicator and screwing up the measurements. Since the 2V valve shims are all 29.5 mm it should work just fine on the GS650 etc. I mount the magnetic base on top of the cam cap with the V edge of the base wedged in front of the cap bolts.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...highlight=cams
                  Good link! I like making my own tools too.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Andrews Cams Installation Instructions & How to Degree Cams Articles

Suzuki GS 750, 850 & 1000 Cam Installation Instructions
                    Note: If you have Andrews Cams and you read this whole thing they recommed visually setting 1/16" below the
                    cylinder head surface to achieve 108 timing. Last time I was adjusting these cams in 2008 I tried this
                    visual method first and verified it was +/- 2 degrees. Pretty freakin close.

MediaFire is a simple to use free service that lets you put all your photos, documents, music, and video in a single place so you can access them anywhere and share them everywhere.

How to Degree Cams circa 1982

MediaFire is a simple to use free service that lets you put all your photos, documents, music, and video in a single place so you can access them anywhere and share them everywhere.

Finding TDC (Positive Stop method)

Note: If you never used mediafire, you have to "Click Here to download Files"
                    Last edited by srsupertrap; 04-06-2010, 11:30 PM.
                    Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                      Good link! I like making my own tools too.
                      Especially when they are cheap

Comment

Especially when they are cheap
                        You should've seen my valve compressor tool. A couple of door hinge plates bolted together and a C-clamp.
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...highlight=cams

SUPERTRAP that is a very good article/comment. I don't know how I missed it when searching for info on degreeing cams.

Thanks a lot.

Comment

Suzuki GS 750, 850 & 1000 Cam Installation Instructions
                            Note: If you have Andrews Cams and you read this whole thing they recommed visually setting 1/16" below the
                            cylinder head surface to achieve 108 timing. Last time I was adjusting these cams in 2008 I tried this
                            visual method first and verified it was +/- 2 degrees. Pretty freakin close.

How to Degree Cams circa 1982

Finding TDC (Positive Stop method)

Note: If you never used mediafire, you have to "Click Here to download Files"
                            I'll ask this question and see if anyone has an answer for me.

Apparently on the GS motor the norm for degreeing the camshafts is to have the exhaust cam number higher than the intake cam by about 2 degrees. An example would be Intake 106 degrees and exhaust 108 degrees.

On my motor the 650 specs from the manual have the exhaust lobe cente at 103 degrees and the intake at 106 degrees. Which is in reverse of the norm.

When I checked the lobe centre on the motor the reading I took tallied with what the manual stated.

Exhaust 103 degrees
                            Intake 108 degrees

Opinions are sought if there is a reason for these numbers being in reverse. My worry is that it is done this way to prevent the valves hitting the piston at TDC. The 650 has a very closed combustion chamber, with squish characteristics.

I dont want to reverse the numbers and have them at say exhaust 106 and intake at 104 and find I cause engine damage.

I have also read somewhere that the danger of valve and piston contact is likely to happen where lower numbers are employed. More risk at 104 than at 108 for instance. Anyone care to comment on this.

And I don't want to pull the head and do the clay thing to check the valve to piston clearance.

I need comments on why the numbers on the stock timing are in reverse from people more conversant than me.
                            Last edited by Guest; 04-07-2010, 04:00 AM.

Comment

Does Anyone Know the Answer to This

Are there any knowledgeable people out there on cams and timing to answer the question above?

Comment

Well if this helps. I installed my cams by mistake 1 tooth out and didnt notice until i rotated the engine a couple times to check the exhaust center, which was less than 90 deg. There was no interference rotating by hand so no valves were hitting pistons. I cant say that if I ran it like that there wouldnt have been bent valves. So, you can be quite far out and not get interference. I just installed my new cams and set them at 105/107 just like I had set the old cams. no problems what soever.
                                Suzuki maybe set the cams on those centers for emmisions reasons or gas mileage or whatever, not so much maybe for best performance.

Comment

Working...
                                X