Degreeing Camshafts -- Information Required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by waterman View Post
    I think Chef is suggesting to give it a try with the 110 main jet first. I agree, it may be rich but Chef knows what too lean looks like.
    Yea he wants to start FAT and lean down from there

Comment

Originally posted by waterman View Post
      Don, I think the starter jet is the tube that extends into the carb bowl near the edge. I don't think it is easily changed. I agree, it is only used when choke circuit is engaged.

I think Chef is suggesting to give it a try with the 110 main jet first. I agree, it may be rich but Chef knows what too lean looks like.
      Thanks ED. That makes sense with the starter jet. Just a different sized tube. I will purchase the new #110 main jets and get on with the carb cleaning.

Comment

I think the starter jet is the pilot jet. The pilot air jets are in the 80s to 100s. My 1150 carbs use 120s.
        Don't you have adjustable needles? You have USA carbs?
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          I think the starter jet is the pilot jet. The pilot air jets are in the 80s to 100s. My 1150 carbs use 120s.
          Don't you have adjustable needles? You have USA carbs?
          Bill on the specs sheet for the 650E it gives the pilot jet as #42.5 and the starter jet as #47.5, also the pilot air jet for the 650 is #160.

Thanks

Comment

The starter jet is the choke plunger. The Japanese call the choke circuit the starter circuit.
            85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
            79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
              The starter jet is the choke plunger. The Japanese call the choke circuit the starter circuit.
              So are these numbered and are they different sizes. I would have thought that the BS32SS carbs would have all had the same size choke plunger on all versions of that size (32mm) carb.

For instance the 650E has a #47.5 starter jet and the 650G has a #45 starter jet going by the specs. With the same size carb, although I think the carb throttle plate has a different number on it, as does the carb body number stamped on it. Maybe it's a drilling within the carb and cannot be changed.
              Last edited by Guest; 04-23-2010, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                So are these numbered and are they different sizes. I would have thought that the BS32SS carbs would have all had the same size choke plunger on all versions of that size (32mm) carb.

For instance the 650E has a #47.5 starter jet and the 650G has a #45 starter jet going by the specs. With the same size carb, although I think the carb throttle plate has a different number on it, as does the carb body number stamped on it. Maybe it's a drilling within the carb and cannot be changed.
                Don,
                This doesnt have much to do with your BS32SS carbs but it does shows how much variation there can be in a single carb setup as it is adapted to different bikes. The carbs in the link are BST36SS which have been adapted to various GS1000/1100's and came stock on GSXR 750/1100's. You will notice changes in even the starter jet.

Jim

Comment

hmmm did this get sidetracked? Here's a picture of a great tool of mine that get's a lot of use just need a little plate bolted on somewhere for it to latch onto I've never cut camshafts to do this....

Comment

Originally posted by gs road racer View Post
                    hmmm did this get sidetracked? Here's a picture of a great tool of mine that get's a lot of use just need a little plate bolted on somewhere for it to latch onto I've never cut camshafts to do this....
                    Yes, ROAD RACER, it did get a bit side tracked, but I started the thread and it's all to do with the my project (although I guess part of it should have been in the CARB section) so I guess that makes it OK.

That is a very interesting tool, would be interested to see it in action. The problem with degreeing the 8V camshafts is that the buckets/shims are completely obscurred by the camshat lobes. You can get a probe in there when the lobe is pointing up, but as it progesses around it moves the probe and upsets any readings. I found to remove the end of the camshaft as suggested was the best option for me.

The only drawback as I see it is you cannot use the Suzuki tool to do future shim adjustments. You must use the Zip Tie method, which is just as effective. That's only on #1 though. The tool can be used on the other cyls.

Comment

I'm going to be degreeing my cams as soon as I get the valves fixed. I can't do the cutoff method b/c my cam support is at the end, unlike the 8 valve GS. We've done a trial fit (bwringer and I) and we think the Summit tool I purchased may do the trick. I'll post some pics after all is said and done. I may start another thread, since this has evolved from a degreeing the camshaft thread into a general project build thread.

Comment

Kid here's the picture of that tool yes it's tight to get in there and I had an attachment for this indicator but couldn't find it. The snake is very useful for many things.More pictures in my albums..

Randy
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X