Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any problems with putting a GS1000 in a GS850 frame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any problems with putting a GS1000 in a GS850 frame?

I have a second Gs850G (1979) that may not have a good engine and was wondering if there was any major problems with dropping a GS1000 engine I just acquired into .
    I could have sworn that I read that the 1000 was the same size engine & trainy that would match all the bolt holes & mounts. However I can't find any info now.
    Has anybody ever gone down this path? Is it worth the attempt?
    Any surprises that I won't like.

Thanks, Paul

If the 1000 is a chain-drive, forget it.

If it's a shaft-drive, you may have to fabricate a motor mount or two, and you will have to move the entire drive train over, including the drive shaft.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Assuming it's a shaftie, the motor will bolt in -- the mounts are the same. You'll need the driveshaft, carbs, and intake system (airbox & boots) from the donor bike. The throttle is easy -- just eliminate the closing cable.

You'll also need to make arrangements for ignition -- either transplant the electronic ignition from the GS1000 or convert to the points from the '79 GS850. If the 850 already has a Dyna electronic ignition, then use that, of course.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

are the mounts not the same on the chain drive as on the shaft?! they look damn close if not! i just bought a 78 1000 to slap the motor in my 81 850 hardtail frame, and was hoping to run a set of 02 gsx-r wheels and the stock 850 electronic ignition on the 1000.

i hope it is as easy as it sounds!

Comment

Working...
        X