Trouble finding new seat cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble finding new seat cover

My bike is 32 years old and has the original seat on it. Needless to say, the vinyl cover is torn and brittle and the foam is making for a very stiff ride. Thing is, I've looked on all the major sites (Bikebandit, JC Whitney, J&P, etc.) and I can't find a replacement cover and pad for my model. The catalogs all say GS550 but they don't specify if it's the cruiser seat or the E model seat. I'm guessing they didn't make as many E models.

Anyone know where to get a seat for the E?

In the UK but have you tried:

Suzuki motorcycles and scooters are going from strength to strength. If you own one then look no further than Wemoto to get all your motorcycle parts online.

The Morretti platform is designed to engage with people who are passionate about advances and innovative developments in the automotive industry.

79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I'm always antsy about ordering overseas, but those seats don't come with the foam pad. Thanks anyway.

Comment

Have you tried B & H? Supposedly very close to the original style. I don't think foam pads are supplied with these covers though....perhaps a local upholstery shop can hook you up with a new layer , after taking a couple inches off the existing seat.

Tony.
        '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
        Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
          Have you tried B & H? Supposedly very close to the original style. I don't think foam pads are supplied with these covers though....perhaps a local upholstery shop can hook you up with a new layer , after taking a couple inches off the existing seat.

Tony.
          That site seems to have reasonable prices plus the right one for my bike, but I'm just concerned about the foam pad. Even if it's not rotted, it is dried out and uncomfortable. Wouldn't shaving it make the cover not fit well?

Comment

There is good info on Cliffs site....http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

Seat Cover Replacement

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by ShirleySerious View Post
              That site seems to have reasonable prices plus the right one for my bike, but I'm just concerned about the foam pad. Even if it's not rotted, it is dried out and uncomfortable. Wouldn't shaving it make the cover not fit well?
              The trick is to restore the foam as close to it's original height and shape as possible, before putting on the cover.....if the 550 seat is flat it should be relatively easy to mark off 2 or 3 inches and take it off, replacing it with the new foam purchased locally, or with Sargent's Super Cell inserts. It hasn't been necessary to re-cover the seat on my bike yet, but at some point I'll go with a cover from B&H, hopefully without needing new foam.
              '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
              Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

You're right, maybe I should check the foam under the cover. The foam peeking out from the rips and seat pan feels dry and crusty but maybe the rest is fine. Who knows.

Comment

Seat Cover

You might consider checking with Reproduction Decals or Z1 Enterprises.

Comment

i bought one from saddlemen. I know the pattern was not oem style but contour of cover was good. The cover has a thin layer of padding built into it but not much. Not sure if your model style seat is much different from my '79.
                    1979 GS850G
                    2004 SV650N track bike
                    2005 TT-R125 pit bike
                    LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

good seat covers......

hi theres a guy in NZ,, that advertises on ebay.com.au for gs1000 seat covers at a reasonable $$$$$$could be worth looking up regards david

Comment

You mean this one?

1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
                        Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

Working...
                        X