Gas in the oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas in the oil

I have been getting gas in my oil on my 82 GS 850L. I put a new pitcock in thinking that was the problem. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem? I've been thinking that the carbs might need rebuilt.

Hi,

The new petcock should have fixed this issue. The other cause could be bad float valve seals in the carbs.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

If you've never rebuilt them it would be an excellent idea.

Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
        If you've never rebuilt them it would be an excellent idea.
        This comment gets my vote
        sigpic

82 GS850
        78 GS1000
        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
        .................________-|___\____
        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

As said.. petcock should have sorted it out, but it does sound like leaky float valves as well..

have you checked fuel does not flow from the tank with engine off ??

There is a small amount of fuel in the pipe, that could be working down past the float valves when not running, and although small, over time will build up in the sump.

John

Comment

You can change petcocks until the kaws come home. If the float needles are bad the problem will remain.

DO NOT TRY TO START THE ENGINE UNTIL THIS IS FIXED!

One or more cylinders may be filled with gas and when the piston hits the fuel it will hydrolock and potentially bend a rod.

Comment

Hi,

Mr. Zook gives excellent advice.

For further information, click the link below. It's just some wisdom I collected from the guru himself, Mr. bwringer....

Overflowing Carbs

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Lambo View Post
                I have been getting gas in my oil on my 82 GS 850L. I put a new pitcock in thinking that was the problem. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem? I've been thinking that the carbs might need rebuilt.
                at the risk of oversimplification, please be sure that you are setting the lever (manual petcock) in the correct place (prime, res, on, er whatever) and you are turning it off when you park. If you don't, this could be where your fuel is dripping down from. Ask me how I know

Comment

Originally posted by Jagir View Post
                  at the risk of oversimplification, please be sure that you are setting the lever (manual petcock) in the correct place (prime, res, on, er whatever) and you are turning it off when you park. If you don't, this could be where your fuel is dripping down from. Ask me how I know
                  Ok, I'll ask cause I'm very confused.
                  I thought the pitcock was a vaccuum (on demand) pitcock and when the motor is shut off the fuel is no longer flowing. Therefore the reason why theres no "off" position on the pitcock.

Comment

Hi,

Yes, the "PRI" (Prime) position on the petcock is the only setting that should let fuel flow (via gravity) without vacuum being applied from a running engine. The "ON" and "RES" positions should not allow fuel to flow if the engine is off - No vacuum, no fuel flow. This information should be in your manual. Here's a little more info:

Where Do These Hoses Go?

BassCliff

Comment

I have a related problem.

My bike has been flooding after sitting over night. This all started after I had the carbs apart for an unrelated issue. Can someone remind me what position my vacuum petcock should be in? I remember messing with it but don't remember where it was before. Someone remind me?
                      Thanks.

Bike is an '80 1100E

Comment

Mr. VP1,

Read my post above, click on the link, and read some more.

Normally you will have it in the "ON" position. If you run out of gas, put it in the "RES" position and go get some gas. Use the "PRI" position if you need to fill the carb bowls before starting your bike. Low fuel levels in the carb bowls can occur from evaporation (if left sitting for a long time) or if the bowls were off for service and have been emptied. If you have one of those dreaded 1980 screwdriver slot petcocks, then all bets are off.

Here's more info:

Overflowing Carbs

BassCliff
                        Last edited by Guest; 03-13-2010, 04:58 PM.

Comment

The other issue to keep in mind is that if you replace an old petcock, bits of corrosion from inside the old petcock have probably already made their way down to the needle valves in the carbs, and some of this mung may remain to prop open the needle valves.

This is almost inevitable if you move a petcock's lever for the first time in twenty years -- the crud from inside the old petcock gets loose and will cause recurring problems (even after you replace the petcock with a new one) until you also remove the carbs and flush and clean the fuel line, fuel passages, and needles and seats.

It took a while to figure that one out the first time I saw it...
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Thanks. I found my petcock in the vertical position when it should have been horizontal. We'll see if that helps

Comment

Thanks for all the help, I was afraid that it was the carbs. I guess that I need to work on them and again thanks for all the replys.

Comment

Working...
                              X