Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Electricity!

I have a 1982 GS650L.
    Problem: put key into the ignition and turn it but nothing lights up! no signals, head lights, wont start, nothing. Worked fine last weekend.

Bikes been working fine since I got it near the end of last summer. Two weekends ago I had to re-wire the brake light because some of the wires had corroded and no longer made contact with other wires.

I want to ride please help!!

edit: I used jumper cables on the battery and confirmed that there was a spark indicating there is a charge in the battery.

You have a voltmeter or at least a test light?

Check your fuses first, especially the MAIN fuse, which is the fourth fuse from the top.

Don't just LOOK at them, actually check them with a light or a meter. They have been known to fail behind the cap, where you can't see it.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by IsaacB View Post
      I had to re-wire the brake light because some of the wires had corroded and no longer made contact with other wires.
      If you handled that ya gotta be able to operate a battery charger. Check the water level before you charge it.

Edit: Never mind. I see your edit. Follow Steves advice. Id actually spend a couple bucks and change all the fuses.
      Last edited by bonanzadave; 03-12-2010, 10:55 PM.
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I wont be able to get a meter till the morning. I have looked at the fuses as you suggested and they all seem in decent shape from what I can tell. Both ends of one of the fuses however is loose and I can spin them around with my fingers although the wire does not seem to be broken (I was checking earlier and I believe this was the bottom fuse, the one under MAIN).

Comment

If it's loose, it can easily be corroded.

If it's corroded, it's dirty, and electricity can't get through.

A test light will be your quickest way to check, I just can't imagine a tool box without one. Just clip it to the negative side of the battery (or any good chassis ground), touch the positive side of the battery. This will do two things: 1. it shows you that the light is working (I have an old light, the contacts on the light get dirty, too ) 2. you have enough juice in the battery to make the light burn brightly. Now move the test light to the MAIN fuse, check both sides. The AUX fuse can also be checked, but it won't affect whether the bike works or not. Turn the key ON, check both sides of each of the other three fuses. Report back with your findings.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi,

I know it sounds tedious, but it's always a good idea to check and clean every electrical connection and ground on the entire wiring harness. Corrosion is electricity's enemy. And just because you can't see rust doesn't mean it's not corroded. After you've cleaned your fusebox and replaced all the fuses, get yourself a volt/ohm meter (or digital multimeter) and go through the troubleshooting procedures in The Stator Papers to test your charging system. These bikes love good, clean electricity. You get better spark and fewer charging problems. There are a few articles with pictures on my website about cleaning/repairing your wiring harness, cleaning the fusebox, testing the stator, etc. Please help yourself.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Fixed. Got new fuses for all the slots and it works now. Thanks for all the help! the fuse that was bad was the "main power," kinda obvious huh?

Thanks!

Comment

Do you have a generator? I started thinking about purchasing one after the latest fire disaster, it was really tough to live 4 days and 4 night without electricity (and heating, and hot water). I looked through some cummins onan reviews and seems like they have good deals now.
                Last edited by Sam Dorn; 01-26-2022, 03:35 AM.
                blog

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Dorn View Post
                  Do you have a generator?
                  Just so you know to not expect an answer, this is a 12-year old post from a guy who is long gone.
                  sigpic
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Dorn View Post
                    Do you have a generator?
                    He found the fault - in 2010.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                    X