Stripped Fork Pinch Bolt Hole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stripped Fork Pinch Bolt Hole

I seem to have stripped the lower hole on my lower fork clamp, right hand side. The one the round yellow reflector is connected to. Is it worth trying to repair it, or should I just try to find a good one at a salvage yard? The part's discontinued, according to Bike Bandit.

I would tap it out to the next larger size, buy a new bolt, drill the shank side to accept the new bolt and use it like that. Remember you're working with metrics there, so use metric taps. I'd tell you which size you need, but I can't remember off the top of my head.

Comment

Depending on where it is, you may also be able to simply install a longer bolt and put a nut on the other end.

Can you post a pic?
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
        Depending on where it is, you may also be able to simply install a longer bolt and put a nut on the other end.

Can you post a pic?
        That might just work, and yes, I can.

That's the offending nut/hole that's stripped.

Comment

I have an '82 1100ez front end and mine has bolts with acorn nuts on the other side, dont know if that is/was the stock setup or what

Comment

Working...
          X