Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody recognize this voltage regulator/recifier?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody recognize this voltage regulator/recifier?

Mounted to the bottom of the battery box on my new GS1000G?
    Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Wow..that thing is huge

Is that OEM?

Comment

Not OEM. The seller gave me a box full of stuff too, and the OEM one was in the box. I think this monstrosity is bad because when I hooked up the battery charger and tried cranking the bike over, all of a sudden a little smoke started coming out of the left side where all the stuff is. I found out that one of the yellow wires connected to this R/R had started to melt the insulation off. Anybody know why that would happen?
      Current Bikes:

Comment

Loose connection or moisture in the connection. Guess its time to get the voltmeter out and go through the stator papers.

Does the bike run?

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
          Loose connection or moisture in the connection. Guess its time to get the voltmeter out and go through the stator papers.

Does the bike run?
          Yep. I was digging for the multimeter in the garage, but so far the darn thing has eluded me. I really need to clean out my man-cave.
          Current Bikes:

Comment

I've seen those before somewhere, but I can't put a name to it.

I see it's nicely grounded... to the rubber-mounted battery box. Just like OEM.

Ah well. It should be pretty straightforward to sort out.

But be careful -- wouldn't want a fire to mar that gorgeous tank!
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Ground that R/R to the battery and frame.
              Solder the connections from the stator and shrink wrap.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Before he does all that shouldn't he test it to make sure it works?

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
                  Before he does all that shouldn't he test it to make sure it works?
                  That goes without saying.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

That goes without saying.
                    You didn't say that so that's why I asked

Comment

size does not matter comes to mind after seeing that thing.. Still my much smaller electrosport stator and r/r working good...
                      Last edited by Guest; 03-15-2010, 04:52 AM. Reason: because my bad grammar should not be advertised more than necessary....

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                        Is it really necessary to solder those connections? What if I want/need to disconnect some day? Then I have to cut them apart. What's wrong with just a good spade connector?
                        Current Bikes:

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                          Is it really necessary to solder those connections? What if I want/need to disconnect some day? Then I have to cut them apart. What's wrong with just a good spade connector?
                          I've had too many failures there to mention. No problems since I did this.
                          I may have been using cheapo spade connectors. Bought them at the local Auto Parts joint.

Comment

Connections made using a professional die crimper (not the $4 cheapie from the hardware store) are supposedly superior to soldered connections, especially where there's vibration.

I finally drank the Kool-Aid and bought a good ratcheting die crimper last year (and lots of quality connectors). So far, I've been quite happy. I have seen poorly soldered connections fail, but with the crimper, it's either a good tight connection or it pulls apart -- there's no guessing.

I also use antioxidant grease on all connections and cover everything with heat shrink.
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I'm not familiar with the crimper tool you're talking about. Sounds too expensive anyway.
                              Current Bikes:

Comment

Working...
                              X