Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neutral light is out. Why?

Hey guys,

I love my neutral light. It tells me that I can let go of the clutch without my bike flying out from under me. But not it's not working. Could it just be the light bulb? The switch? All the other gear indicators are working, but the neutral light is separate on the console. What the heck.

Thanks,

Yes
    Yes

Or the wires - did you disconnect them when you were working on the top end?
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Didn't touch the wires. I don't think it was working before the rebuild. I think it is a separate incidence.

Comment

It's probably just the bulb, I'd check that first - they don't last forever ya know and the bike is how old.....

Secondly, the neutral light is nice and all but definitely not to be blindly trusted - especially on older bikes.

Comment

Maybe that single blue wire is unplugged under your tank.

You can trust it, regardless of the age of the bike! Less so if the condition of your wiring is bad.
          Last edited by Guest; 03-16-2010, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
            Maybe that single blue wire is unplugged under your tank.

You can trust it, regardless of the age of the bike! Less so if the condition of your wiring is bad.
            HOLY HELL how did you know! I wondered what that blue wire was? It is disconnected! YOU SOLVED THE PUZZLE!

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Skyboy8950 View Post
              HOLY HELL how did you know! I wondered what that blue wire was? It is disconnected! YOU SOLVED THE PUZZLE!

Thanks!
              That wire just about always pulls out because of the stupid way it was run as if it was an afterthought and not part of the harness.

And dont ask me how I know!

Comment

that wire comes unplugged about every time I take the tank off or the airbox out. then I kick and scream and remember it usually comes apart.

Comment

If the gear indicator shows no numbers, you are in neutral. Just an observation, don't hate me,
                  1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                  1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by Skyboy8950 View Post

Thanks!
                    I just posted this in another thread:

Actually, some of old geezers have been guessing for so long, some of them are turning out to be right.

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
                    That wire just about always pulls out because of the stupid way it was run as if it was an afterthought and not part of the harness.
                    Originally posted by rideOn View Post
                    that wire comes unplugged about every time I take the tank off or the airbox out. then I kick and scream and remember it usually comes apart.
                    Really?

I can't remember ever having it come apart unless I wanted it apart.
                    And that has only been twice, over the last five years, on about six different bikes.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                    X