Rear light likes to be "locked up"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear light likes to be "locked up"

Okay, so I finally got it so that i'm able to lock my handlebars by turning the key all the way to the right, however, if i do so, then my rear light stays on, regardless if I have to lights on, on the bike in the first place. This only happens when I lock the handlebars and i have no idea why? Any thoughts?

If its the same as UK bikes then you have 4 positions, from left to right -

Lock, Off, On, Park.

Lock, locks the bike

Off, obvious

On, Go

Park should lock the bike and switch front and rear side lights on.
    GS1000G

Comment

My 'S does that . Try turning your key all the way to the left . The steering lock should work with no lights .
      Cheers , Simon .

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Yep, like they said, locking to the right is for parking lights so nobody runs your bike over when it's parked on the side of the road at night borken down..........

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
          Yep, like they said, locking to the right is for parking lights so nobody runs your bike over when it's parked on the side of the road at night borken down..........
          Of course, that only works during the first half hour, while the battery is still good.

I know the purpose of that switch position, just have not ever seen a good time to use it.

I mean, really, is there any point to bringing your gas can back to a bike that now also has a dead battery.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            is there any point to bringing your gas can back to a bike that now also has a dead battery.
            Good point Steve. Can you come up with the LEDs and wire diagrams for a low current draw parking light conversion ? We know you can....
            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
              Good point Steve. Can you come up with the LEDs and wire diagrams for a low current draw parking light conversion ? We know you can....
              I already have the board in-hand for my LED tail lights.

Just working out the details for current control, so they don't burn out.

The first run will be for the "L" style lights. The second batch will likely be for the "G" style lights.
              Starting with those because I will be able to test them on MY bikes.

Kinda beat ya to the punch there, didn't I?

Yes, they are insanely bright and will also include white LEDs pointing down, to illuminate the license plate.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                I already have the board in-hand for my LED tail lights.

Just working out the details for current control, so they don't burn out.

The first run will be for the "L" style lights. The second batch will likely be for the "G" style lights.
                Starting with those because I will be able to test them on MY bikes.

Kinda beat ya to the punch there, didn't I?

Yes, they are insanely bright and will also include white LEDs pointing down, to illuminate the license plate.

Wow. That looks really nice. Do you mind telling where you got the LED's from? Did you etch that board yourself?

Comment

Well I'll be damned, I never thought about putting it all the way to the left. Thanks guys.

Oh, and cost for one of those LED suckers? =)

Comment

Just wondering about the rear brake light... it doesn't to have that facility..

John

Comment

Originally posted by Theo View Post
                      Wow. That looks really nice. Do you mind telling where you got the LED's from? Did you etch that board yourself?
                      The LEDs are eBay specials, direct from Hong Kong.

Yes, I did design the board. No, I did not actually etch the board. I have found a place that will take your design, etch and drill it for a reasonable cost.

Originally posted by SuzukiGS View Post
                      Oh, and cost for one of those LED suckers? =)
                      Trying to be able to get it out the door, into your hands for under $50.
                      It's still in the "design and testing" stage, but shouldn't be much longer.

Also working on another project to get even more light at the rear, but that one is entirely dependant on another supplier.
                      He told me a couple of weeks ago, "maybe 30-60 days".

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                      X