Switches Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switches Questions

So I got a set of practically NOS switches, right and left on ebay super cheap. IIRC, they came off of an '81 450. 2 problems though.

1. This metal tab on the inside is making it extremely difficult to close the halves of the housing when I put it on the handlebars. Can (should) I just bend it down and out of the way?

2. My bike is a push/pull throttle. How should I fix this to accommodate the other throttle cable?

Thanks a ton for looking!

Brion

To answer your first question, you need to drill a hole in your bars. That tab keeps the whole mechanism from rotating. It's supposed to be there.

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
      To answer your first question, you need to drill a hole in your bars. That tab keeps the whole mechanism from rotating. It's supposed to be there.
      ...or bend the tab out of the way or grind it off, which is what most of us do when installing new bars.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I usually drill a hole, as I don't like the grips moving.

To find where to drill the hole, use some black spray paint near where the hole should be. When the paint is dry, put the switch housing in place, screw it together tight enough to not move easily, but loose enough that you can move it if you want. Sit on the bike, make sure the switches are in a comfortable position. Now slide the switches along the bar to scribe a line in the paint. Rotate the switches to scribe a cross-line. Remove the switches, look at the paint. the X in the paint shows you where to drill.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If you grind the tab off, what keeps everything from turning? The two screws that hold the housing together will not make it tight enough. Seems pretty unsafe to me if you turn your throttle or reach for your kill switch and the whole switch housing moves.

Comment

Thanks

I think I am gonna go ahead and drill the holes. Might as well do it the safe way. Thanks folks.

Any input on the second part? I was thinking that I could Dremel it out to look like the other side but my concern is the lack of threads for the cable guide thing.

Brion

Comment

Whats wrong with the bottom housing that is on the bike now? Just use the bottom housing and transfer the parts from the new new housing. Since I don't have the parts in front of me are they the same except for the bottom housing.

Comment

Working...
              X