650 "G" Rear Tire question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

650 "G" Rear Tire question

I recently ordered in a new set of Bridgestone Spitfire II tires/tyres for my 1981 GS650G, using the sizing chart in the shop manual.

The local stealership mounted the front tire for me yesterday, and I took in the rear one today to have the new rubber installed. I just had a call from the stealership and they said that the rear tire is the wrong size.

So I dug out the print out of the tire sizes, and confirmed what I had ordered to be the correct size for the rear tire for my bike. They say that the rim is a 17", not a 16"?!?

I checked out the splines last night, and they looked in really decent shape, so I am wondering if one of the P.O.'s just swapped the rear tire assembly from a larger GS, maybe an 850, instead of replacing a worn out spline?

Does this sound possible/probable?

They are ordering in a 17" tire right now for me, it should be in on Monday/Tuesday, so I have the weekend to work on other things like painting the rear end parts I couldn't get at with the tire mounted, etc.

I am mainly just wanting to know if I will run into any problems in the long-term because of the rim size difference/extra rim weight? I am fairly certain that this should be fine, it just means that the bike has a lower acceleration, and a higher theoretical maximum speed because of the larger diameter tire in the back, kind of like going up a tooth if it were a sprocket drive, correct?

My 650g are 17", I think the GL are the 16" rims. Either way I don't think it will make much difference.

Comment

Hi,

Yes, the "regular" G models have 17" rear wheels. The "GL" models have 16" rear wheels.

Or there's a 650G service manual on my site. Feel free to "righ-click" and "Save as...".

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
        Hi,

Or there's a 650G service manual on my site.
        IIRC that's where I D/L'd the manual I looked it up in.

I likely had a brain fart and printed out the wrong part of the manual.

It's good to know that I won't have any problems from this, and I've confirmed my splines are in really decent shape, so overall, this one goes in the win column!

Thanks for the quick replies all!

Comment

Hi Mr. MacGuyver,

Yes, new rubber is a great feeling! And it's even more comforting to know you have good spline gears and fresh lubricant on them. WOOT!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

The picture in your sig shows a G model, not a GL, so it should have a 17" tire on it.

Keep in mind, though, that they are interchangeable. You could get a 16" wheel to use as a spare and just swap them back and forth.
            The only thing to be careful of there is to make sure the spacers are the same for the brake caliper.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X