Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutting down on Carbs...

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    You realize that you are opening another can of worms?

How about the intake side? You sticking with the stock airbox or going with individual pod filters?

I ask these because each situation requires different jetting in the carbs. Even changing just the exhaust system will require jetting changes. Chaning to pods will require different jetting. If you do both, yep, even more changes. Best to have your end goal in mind so you don't have to keep spending money on all the intermittent steps.

How hard can that be... what... like 15 minutes right (awkward silence)?

I have no idea how to adjust the jets in carburetors... but as long as it's an ADJUSTMENT and not a REPLACEMENT... maybe I'm up for the task. And then... I've got this site right?

Where do I go to make a donation?

Comment

Originally posted by legaleli View Post

I have no idea how to adjust the jets in carburetors... but as long as it's an ADJUSTMENT and not a REPLACEMENT... maybe I'm up for the task. And then... I've got this site right?

Uhh....no. You will have to change out jets and mess with the needle heights and do all kinds of fiddling to get your carbs adjusted after changing the exhaust and/or intake configuration.

If you're worried about riding more and working on the bike less, stick with your stock setup.
      sigpic

SUZUKI:
      1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
      HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
      KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
      YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

OEM is so much more money than the Dyna coils... I ordered the Dynas, + wires and caps, including fast shipping for 170 bucks - it remains to be seen what reaming I will get from Customs...
        !
        Ouch!!
        You got money to blow! You spent about 150 bux more than you needed to.

Lemme know when you need to get rid of some more of that stuff(money) I'll send ya my paypal address.
        sigpic

82 GS850
        78 GS1000
        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
        .................________-|___\____
        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

[QUOTE=legaleli;1176092]How hard can that be... what... like 15 minutes right (awkward silence)?

QUOTE]

Go for it. Just dont forget to ask questions when you're done
          sigpic

82 GS850
          78 GS1000
          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
          .................________-|___\____
          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

While you're at it check the voltage at your coils. You should have battery voltage minus maybe 1 volt. So 11.5 or so at the coils. If you have much less than that you should consider doing the Coil Relay Mod.

There are many threads on the CRM but in short you use a relay and fuse to take power directly from the battery to the coils when the ignition is switched on. That would be your hotter spark right there.

/\/\ac

Comment

well then... that will be easy/hard cheap/expensive

Originally posted by Macmatic View Post
              While you're at it check the voltage at your coils. You should have battery voltage minus maybe 1 volt. So 11.5 or so at the coils. If you have much less than that you should consider doing the Coil Relay Mod.

There are many threads on the CRM but in short you use a relay and fuse to take power directly from the battery to the coils when the ignition is switched on. That would be your hotter spark right there.

/\/\ac
              I have made an executive decision... fix the thing and then do mods. Doing both at the same time sounds... well... fraught with problems.

Step one... get the coils mounted, and check the charging system.

Again, I cannot stress how much more at ease I feel knowing that this forum exists. I am sure I am not the first to say this.

Comment

Yeah, it's about 15 minutes. For each step.
                15 minutes to remove the seat, tank and carbs
                15 minutes to open up the carbs and remove the jets
                15 minutes to put all the new jets in (yeah, it's replacement, not adjustment)
                15 minutes to shim the needles (that part is adjustment)
                15 minutes to put the carbs back in
                15 minutes to check your carb sync
                15 minutes to put everything away and get ready for a test ride
                15 minute ride, likely you will find something that needs to be changed, so, ...
                well, you know the rest of it.

How can you support the site? Easy. On the home page there is a link called Support the Site. Feel free to look it up or just click on this link instead.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Yeah, it's about 15 minutes. For each step.
                  15 minutes to open up the carbs and remove the jets
                  15 minutes to put all the new jets in (yeah, it's replacement, not adjustment)
                  15 minutes to shim the needles (that part is adjustment)
                  15 minutes to put the carbs back in
                  15 minutes to check your carb sync
                  15 minutes to put everything away and get ready for a test ride
                  15 minute ride, likely you will find something that needs to be changed, so, ...
                  well, you know the rest of it.

How can you support the site? Easy. On the home page there is a link called Support the Site. Feel free to look it up or just click on this link instead.

Just like I said - 15 minutes!

Comment

Working...
                  X