Kick Stand Switch. 1982 850GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kick Stand Switch. 1982 850GL

I had to remove the wiring harness to clean and replace a few wires. My question is does the kick stand switch affect the starter switch. I am trying to bypass it. I can't get the starter to turn with the switch on the handle. The starter works though. Any advice would be awesome.

I also have that very same bike, and am sorry to report that is no kickstand switch - too bad really.

What there is instead is a switch so you cannot start unless the clutch lever is also pulled in. It must have been an earlier idea to prevent starting while in gear.

You can see the little switch gizmo on the underside of the lever. It's just like the one on the brake side, with two wires coming out. Switch plate is known to also break easily too.

Comment

The side stand only lights the light in the instrument cluster, it does not affect starting at all.

Like rkubik mentioned, though, there is a 'safety' switch in the clutch lever housing that requires you to pull the clutch to engage the electric starter.

Many of us have bypassed that 'safety' feature to eliminate the need for three hands to start the bike. Your '82 850GL has the "choke" lever where you can reach it with your thumb while holding the clutch, so it's not as bad. Those of us with earlier bikes have various antics, including holding the clutch with the left hand and holding the "choke" knob (in the center of the steering stem) with the right hand, while pressing the starter button with the right elbow.

Actually, when the center-mounted "choke" knob is working correctly, it can be twisted a bit to lock it into place, but I would rather not have to pull the clutch lever anyway.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
      X