Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running 1150 for $300? Nice!
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
      Ya. Not in my neighborhood, that's for sure!
      Paul

sigpic

Originally posted by Grimly
      Watery bints handing out swords is no basis for any system of government.

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
        It was just the engine, not the whole bike.
        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
          It was just the engine, not the whole bike.
          A drag racer will pay $6-700 for the cases alone....
          sigpic
          09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
          1983 GS1100e
          82\83 1100e Frankenbike
          1980 GS1260
          Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Yes, i was surprised at 300 for just the engine.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Snapped an exhaust bolt
              I knew I should heat it before I even started, but it twisted so easily I almost believed I got it. Thankfully I was cautious enough to heat up the rest of them and the came out fine.

1982 Suzuki GS650G project in BRG
              2004 Honda CRF250r
              2010 HD FatBob in Black
              2007 HD XL883L in Maroon - sold
              2008 Kawasaki Versys 650 daily rider in Red - sold
              2006 Triumph Bonneville America in Grey - sold

Comment

Looks like you also took a bite out of the pipe land.

You've got plenty of threads left to weld on a nut to that broken stud.
                Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                  Looks like you also took a bite out of the pipe land.

You've got plenty of threads left to weld on a nut to that broken stud.
                  I believe these are factory made notches, they are present on each coupling. What was surprising is that none of the headers had gaskets.
                  I already ordered a stud extractor will deal with it when I pull the engine out, I do not have a welder, and don't know how to weld. The stud is also too short to use the "two nut" method.
                  1982 Suzuki GS650G project in BRG
                  2004 Honda CRF250r
                  2010 HD FatBob in Black
                  2007 HD XL883L in Maroon - sold
                  2008 Kawasaki Versys 650 daily rider in Red - sold
                  2006 Triumph Bonneville America in Grey - sold

Comment

Didn’t know about the notches, never saw that before.

I don’t know how to weld either. Have a friend who’s good at it, though. Brought a small 120v welder to my house.

Barring that, you may be able to get a good grip on that nub with a pair if vice grips. Some people have had luck heating the stud and get wax to wic up the threads. Or some type of penetration oil would help.
                    Rich
                    1982 GS 750TZ
                    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Why isn't the exhaust stud more prevalent on these old girls? I quit using bolts on the exhaust years ago. In fact, in recent years, I have gone to a (perish the thought) Yamaha part, as it allows for safety wire to be used to keep the nut attached.

MTMzOTY1MQ-1f3d4a7f.jpg Yamaha part number 90179-08004-00

Originally posted by igoldin74 View Post
                      Snapped an exhaust bolt
                      I knew I should heat it before I even started, but it twisted so easily I almost believed I got it. Thankfully I was cautious enough to heat up the rest of them and the came out fine.

Paul

sigpic

Originally posted by Grimly
                      Watery bints handing out swords is no basis for any system of government.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                        Started taking the GS1000 apart tonight. Going to do a deep cleaning on beast this winter. I know it looks fine in the photo but it's actually been 10 years since it's had a thorough going through front to back, or in this case back to front. Clearcoat's been shabby on the clutch and stator cover for quite a while so they're going get a polish finally. Probably also finally replace the rear shocks. The bike has just barely 50,000 original miles on it and with everything set on firm they're still quite good for solo riding but it's time to open the wallet. They're not going to get any better with time. LOL. I've had a complete rack of proper Suzuki VM28's from a '79 Euro spec "S" sitting on the shelf staring at me for a few years so I'm going clean them up and give them a try. The bike is stock so with stock jetting they should be pretty much a direct swap and easy to setup. If not I'll just stick the 26's back in and sell them. Going be a long cold dark winter with this Covid thing so need to find stuff to do. Maybe get out the sawzall and put a cafe seat on it .....just kidding, just kidding.

20201109_195230 by soates50, on Flickr
                        Great looking bike! I totally ignored the comment about the cafe seat!!! LOL

I'm amazed at how you got the bike on the rolling board! And nice area to work during the winter.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Finally got around to fitting the proper Delkovic silencer.
                          I'd been using a modified HD Dyna unit for the past year, and had put off buying this one as I thought I didn't need it. Turns out the Delko pipes and collector have an unpleasant wave-front pattern which their own silencer copes with and I had a bit of a struggle trying to tame it with the HD unit.
                          Not quite finished yet with the mixture adjustment, so had to weld in a bung for the O2 sensor.
                          Neat and clean freaks can look away now.

Last edited by Grimly; 11-17-2020, 10:07 PM.
                          ---- Dave
                          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Sigh.... after a fun 130 km run last weekend, today was winterization. Oil changed, Castrol 10w40, K&N 133 filter, ethanol-free fuel topped up with stabilizer, engine idled to spread stabilizer, vacuum removed from carb to starve carbs and shutdown engine, all paintwork waxed, and all metal bits sprayed down with WD-40 and bike sitting on plastic drop sheet to protect against salt spray from car in garage. Also cleaned all electrical connectors as part of last month’s r/r replacement. Bike now under breathable cover. See you in April.
                            1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Getting track bike ready for next season: Started the safetywire process today, caliper bolts.
                              A lot of cleanup work needs attending, all lower areas look dirty & rusty.
                              Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 11-24-2020, 05:12 PM.
                              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

It's not motorcycle related but now that Charmayne left home, my office and I are being kicked out of the living room and into the extra bedroom we have. So, I spent the entire day putting this together:

New Desk by Scott Baker, on Flickr

I've waited over 6 years for a better desk than the Walmart special I use for work so I'm looking forward to starting it tomorrow. Bought from Office Depot, I'm actually quite impressed with its quality so far. Heck, even trying to open the box was an adventure in trying to cut through a lot of glue. And the parts are individually labeled for each step which is nice when trying to find the right screw for the right section.

Packaging by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Desk parts by Scott Baker, on Flickr

I'll move my work and personal computers into the office tomorrow then give my old desk to my youngest son since he'll be doing more remote classwork. I also need to build him a new computer since my younger daughter's laptop really isn't doing the job anymore.
                                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                                X