what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SusKatCas View Post
    Has anyone else seen a glass fuse fail in a non-visible manner?

Cheers, Alan
    All the time; it's one reason why you'll find posts saying to verify the fuse is good by checking them with a test light instead of visually. Additionally, it's a good reason to upgrade the fuse block to a blade type. I have an Eastern Beaver model in both mine and my daughter's bikes.
    sigpic
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
      Great post, Roger.
      Proof again of what an excellent site this is.
      Originally posted by Redman View Post
      Roger, thanks for representing TheGSR so well.
      My pleasure. This is an excellent site for sure.
      Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      2003 FJR 1300A
      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Not GS -- But a GL -- 2002 Goldwing New Final Drive

The gearing on the Goldwing is ridiculously low - Often I will be still in the intersection while shifting out of 1st gear -
        Not usually a problem but a PIA when turning (especially left) - and really unnecessary I think -
        The Wing has enough oompph to start in 2nd gear without grunting and finally someone did soemthing about it -
        With this bike being built from 2001 to 2016 there are MANY units out there and they all have this challenge
        Some add a taller tire (from 60 series to 70 series) to help with the under gearing -
        But an experienced hypoid gearing manufacturer is now making a Modified Final Drive that changes the gearing in the rear drive and lowers all the gears -
        The lower RPMs at all speeds will be interesting -- but here I am putting on Production unit #13 (after prototypes where built and sorted over the past 2 years)

Gearing went from Honda OEM 2.75 to Modified 2.28 -- Dropping RPMs at 60 MPH by 500 RPM -
        And with the lower final gearing raising top end to a theoretical calculated 177 MPH (which I will never do )

Currently in the Stable :
        2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
        1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
        - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post

Gearing went from Honda OEM 2.75 to Modified 2.28 -- Dropping RPMs at 60 MPH by 500 RPM -
          And with the lower final gearing raising top end to a theoretical calculated 177 MPH (which I will never do )
          Bring it to Gingerman next year!
          Dogma
          --
          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I put on the new decals today that I just got from member Frank Z. I didn't even know this was a thing til about a week ago. Thanks Frank!

I also dabbled in a little bit of Testor's model paint to touch up some of the raised lettering on the instrument cluster
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

This is a friend TIG welding a breather tank for my GS1000 crankcase secondary breather hose.

This hose currently vents to atmosphere so we are building a baffled & filtered breather tank to catch and condense any oil/fumes coming out of the crankcase.

Last edited by 80GS1000; 09-27-2020, 01:46 AM.
              Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
              2006 GSXR 750

Comment

You have a friend that welds and a friend with powder-coating skills?
                I need some new friends. lol.
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Yesterday...
                  My bike has has a lean pop on deceleration / closed throttle for a while that gets worse as the weather cools. I raised the pilot needles a half turn.
                  No more popcorn on last nights ride. Much better idle as well.
                  sigpic
                  When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                  -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                  -Rusty old scooter.
                  Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                  https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Installed Pirelli Sport Demon tires on my GS750 yesterday. Compared to the K70's I've been running for three years, this things are awesome! Much more responsive; they feel great. I think they look really cool, too.

1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
                    1977 GS550
                    1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

I'm digging back into the FZ1. I had the head inspected and tested and it all checked out good so that's not the culprit for my engine noises. I'm also replacing clutch plates but I'm pretty sure there's no issues there. I'm starting to think I have rod bearing problem(s) which will NOT be fun.
                      Current Bikes:
                      2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

I got the rear off to be replaced. I don't understand why I was under the impression I had to remove the shocks, the wheel can easily be removed with them on. I also think removing the bolt for the torque arm serves no purpose.

I got the other end of the torque arm off, and was able to get my brake line into the thing.

I tried to get the studs for the brake disc off, but the two nut trick is failing me today (I only have the ratchet, Ill try again tomorrow). I really want to get the original bolts on it.

Snapped one bolt off, gaawh.
                        Last edited by Noreg; 10-02-2020, 06:21 AM.
                        GS1000G 1981

Comment

20201003_151802_HDR(1).jpgl
                          It's noy easy pulling an engine by yourself. I think I have a couple new bruises on my arms.
                          Current Bikes:

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]61810[/ATTACH]l
                            It's noy easy pulling an engine by yourself. I think I have a couple new bruises on my arms.
                            2001 Yamaha FZ1
                            What? The new bike?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                              What? The new bike?
                              Not exactly new anymore. Due to my stupidity of installing the cam chain tensioner incorrectly, I've created a bad engine rattle I haven't been able to track down. After an exhaustive upper engine investigation and replacing several things, it's still there. So, on to the lower end.
                              Current Bikes:

Comment

The Acewell on the 450 died at the end of last year and I went back to a mechanical speedo, but lost my tacho as a result. I got a GS500 tacho early this year but have only now finally got around to installing it. Found a stainless camping cup that's the perfect size to make a housing for it so it matches the stainless speedo now too. That's not an original idea, I found the tip via Mr Google on a Triumph forum.

I like the big tacho and small speedo, although the front's a little messy with all the control cables being condensed due to having the clubman 'bars.

Untitled by starpoint73, on Flickr

Untitled by starpoint73, on Flickr
                                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
                                X