No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Steve doesn't take those kenda's I will. Just send them to me. I might even pay the postage.
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Steve is definitely not taking those Kendas.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
        If Steve doesn't take those kenda's I will. Just send them to me. I might even pay the postage.
        I'll have to cut them up to fit in a smaller box to save you shipping costs Larry! I'm sure you can glue them back together!
        Ron
        When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
        1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
        1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
        1982 GS1100E
        1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

1983 GS1100E rear brake stay

Decided to repaint the rear brake stay, or rod, or holder, or whatever you call it, (Suzuki calls it a "torque link") and found the PO had done a slight modification to it! Must have been running a really fat tire at one time!

Last edited by 1978GS750E; 04-18-2021, 02:03 PM.
          Ron
          When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
          1982 GS1100E
          1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

The heat pump/ac on my house. This winter forgot to run it at all to keep it loose and the electric motor seized. %*&#! Couldn't get the fan to spin at all so out came the motor. Figured to get it unstuck with a little PB blaster and a pipe wrench but this thing wasn't having that. The shaft is a D shape so i ended up using a snug fit 6 point socket with a small piece of solid copper wire in the flat of the shaft. Popped it with my 600# electric impact and zingggg. Motor freed up. Added some more PB, put er together and it's 70 in here right now. 80 something outside.Been running about an hour. Like those free household repairs.

Comment

Okay, not exactly today, but a few days ago. I got my wife's '82 GS850 back on the road for spring/summer. It needed a new battery, ok, done. Put the new petcock in, (ordered from dealer), but realized I needed the PROPER bolts and washers after I had leakage. I managed to get the proper items from Suzuki, which THEY HAD IN STOCK!!!! I also needed some float bowl drain O-rings and I managed to scare some up at my friend's place. I also rebuilt the airbox, as the foam was just flaking apart to the touch. While I was waiting for the K&N air filter, (YES, it had a K&N in it!), oil to set up, (read the can, let it sit for 20 minutes), I thought, what the hey, let's flash it up. WOW! Now I know why you just can't chuck the airbox and go for it. It ran like a bag of *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$! Once the filter was back in and it was sealed up, it ran great! I took the old dinosaur out for a shake down run and I had an ear to ear grin. Not like my '82 1100E, but still a hoot to ride. Rather like riding a big couch.
              Kevin
              E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
              "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
              Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

The rusty old scooter was only ridden a few times last year. Easy to avoid since I was actually riding the GS, and the scooter is still untitled.
                Shameful really. By now I may have literally owned (possesed?) it for over half of my life.... Last attempt at riding it last year, it would barely idle and stalled under load. Into the shed it went.
                After doing yard stuff today, I rolled the scoot out. I turned the gas on, tickled the carb and gave it a few kicks. Nothing.
                Into the garage and off with the carb. It was full of mostly two stroke oil..... I guess the gas evaporated. The old gas in the tank oddly didn't really smell like anything. Maybe cheap liquor, but neither good, nor bad gas.
                The teeny little Dellorto got a dissambely, rinse, blow out, and reassembly. At a nice leisurely it still only took an hour so.

With new gas it started in 2-3 kicks and I took a few short rides.
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Decided to go "Chuck Hahn" on a 1985 GS550E tank today! Different technique, same principal, great result!

I knew that propane torch that we used to burn out fence rows on the farm would come in handy! I may never use a chemical stripper on a failed tank liner ever again.
                  Ron
                  1982 GS1100E
                  1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

I'll say this about working on newer bikes, I never realized how enjoyable a valve clearance check on both 550s can be. It's my first time doing it on the Bandit so it took 2-1/2 hours just to get this far before stopping for the night. I have company over this weekend, actually just Charmayne but still, so I won't get back to working on it until Monday. I'm really hoping I don't have to change any shims around though. Also, I don't know whose bright idea it was to put brackets to block how the 1 and 4 coils come out but what were they smoking? Sorry for the glare from the lights overhead.

Bandit Top Removed for Valve Clearance by Scott Baker, on Flickr
                    sigpic
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Turned my cheap Blurple FJ-09.

Into a Jedz Edition Fazer 900... My first time painting with Candy paint. Came out well used 2 part paint, it will be a few days before I hit it with a final sand and buffer but for a first try I'm happy. I also installed the Cruise control, quick disconnect side Givi cases and frame, heated grips, custom polarized dash and touring screen. Engine guards and LED aux lights are next. Happy how it came out. Love this bike already but now... I just want the paint to be cured and rip!!!

Cheers!
                      Best,
                      -Jedz
                      Jedz Moto
                      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                      1988 Honda GL1500-6
                      2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                      2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                      Originally posted by Hayabuser
                      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Dang Jedzster, that looks pretty spiffy! It looks like you're ready to rock&roll this summer. 👍
                        My Motorcycles:
                        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                        79 1000e (all original)
                        82 850g (all original)
                        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Heck yeah, nice transformation. Happy trails to you.
                          Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                          '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                          '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                          '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                          '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Nice. Look forward to seeing it close up.
                            Rich
                            1982 GS 750TZ
                            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

That looks great Jedz! Nice combination with the gold wheels. Now what color are you going to paint the Sportster?
                              Last edited by 1978GS750E; 05-01-2021, 10:23 PM.
                              Ron
                              1982 GS1100E
                              1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Thanks dudes! I'm pretty taken with the paint job. I have shown it a few folks and it's stunner. I did my best to correct the orange peel, I have to get some paint touchup for it but all in all looks great and I love riding it.

AS for the Sproty... You don't like the ratty black rattle can job?

Cheers.
                                Jedz Moto
                                1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                                2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                                2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                                2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                                Originally posted by Hayabuser
                                Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Working...
                                X