X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Darkside nears...

---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Yesterday, I replaced the forks on a 1000G with forks with Gold Valve Emulators and Racetech springs. Had some grief with brake lines, but found I had decent spares. Determined that the brake light was on all the time, and figured out it was the front switch. Fixed that. It has a fork brace on it which clamps to where the fork wipers go. It doesn't allow the fender to be placed in its normal position. Spent some time reworking the slotted holes in the fender to allow it to sit closer to the tire. Test rode it, and it really makes the weak old stock shocks seem even worse. Something must be done.
      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Had the afternoon, and wasn't hot-humid today.
        So I started into a project on the BMW RT.

THe windshiled raise lower mechanism would only go up a little bit, cluld hear a click and motor stop. WOuld go down and bottom out but but keep runing and grunt and stall out.
        Clymers manaul says to access the raise lower mechanism the first step it to remove the seats... what? huh?
        THen the side covers, and then the side panels (that cover about 75% the side of the bike from bottom to top).
        Then the instrument panel bezel, then can remove the upper fairing (nose) to get access to the windscreen raise lower meachanism.
        Geepers, that doesnt make sence.
        But after looking, yah, the side panel also cover up the bolts and screws that mount the upper fairing (nose).....

So I had been putting this off.

But was a nice day, not hot, not humid, I had the afternoon, so I started
        ....me and my 3mm allen wrench .... following the Clymer manual.

Seats, side covers, mirrors, then started in on the side panels.... first time for me doing any of this (well, except for the seat).
        Followed manual step by step on the side panels, had out every screw, and checked again for every screw, and could not get off side panels, this was about hour and a half .... tryed some more to figure the trick, apparently is some trick above what the Clymer manaul said

So I let that sit for a while (before getting more frustrated), removed the windshield and remove that panel under the windshield... and...

AND... there... THERE was fairly good access to the raise lower mechanism.
        I could disasemble the mechanism enough to find the gear with broken teeth.

So, I am here to say: TO get access to the raise lower mechanism, just remove the windshield and that panel under the windshield. THat will get you access enough to get at the gear no19, but not enough clearance to remove the entire mechanism.
        If need access to the raise lower motor, or if need to remove the entire mechanism, well , then do need to remove the side panels so can get access to the bolts to remove the upper fairing. Dern Clymer.

(Did eventually figure the trick to getting the side panel off. So that was a good exercize in learning about that. But dont need to to get some access to the raise lower mechanism.)

Will get the gear on order. In the mean time, get it all back together.
        When recieve the gear, dont need to take off the side panels......

But before I got it back together, I had an Dorkburger attack.
        Last edited by Redman; 08-07-2020, 12:04 AM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
          Darkside nears...

Looking forward to seeing this on the GS!
          Jedz Moto
          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
          1988 Honda GL1500-6
          2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
          2020 Honda Monkey Z125
          2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
          Originally posted by Hayabuser
          Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

New exhaust on the Bonnie... Love it!

Best,
            -Jedz
            Jedz Moto
            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
            1988 Honda GL1500-6
            2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
            2020 Honda Monkey Z125
            2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
            Originally posted by Hayabuser
            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

I started painting the calipers, getting ready to put it all together.
              GS1000G 1981

Comment

Fixing the ride for one of my grand-nephews.
                The kid had better learn how to wrench pretty soon, he is too hard on his bikes.

2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Different tread pattern on each bike...whatcha running?

Had the pleasure to ride a CBX once, just around town with a Staintune 3/3 or 6/1, can't remember now, but motor sounded most pleasing, just rolling on & off throttle.

Haven't rode many Hondas, actually it turns out to be quite a few in retrospect, maybe 14-s-xl-gl-cr-cb-cbr-rc.
                  GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Bridgestone Spitfire S11 on the left and Bridgestone BT45 on the right.
                    The S11 is no longer made. That one is new and put on 4? years ago.
                    For years i have been a big fan and continue to be of the BT45.
                    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Gods, is that a beautiful sight. To me, the most desirable of Japanese motorcycles is the CBx.

Meantime, I'm going to be pulling the 454 out of the Suburban to do a rebuild. Not going to be a fast job ...
                      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

I removed the front wheel and then the fender.

I got new axle stands to support the bike without a front wheel:

GS1000G 1981

Comment

That works just fine!
                          -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
                            That works just fine!
                            Yeah, I have no idea why they bother putting things into the box.

So curious how hard it will be to reattach it since the lawn is sort of soggy so it sits low. I guess I could always dig a hole xD
                            GS1000G 1981

Comment

Today I put the tyre back on, got a Bridgestone Battlax BT46, put the fender on (its now painted on the inside), needed some help from my wife to get the bike high enough, but you can compress the suspension a fair bit with just your hand. I luckily bought a mallet yesterday so getting the axle in was far easier than getting it out (I used my foot to kick it loose).

It seems there is oil on the bottom of my gas tank, and a lot around the tach wire, and the front in general. I think part of the gasket for the second top part of the engine has a corner that is folded (looks to be). It was quite smoky starting up (oil on the exhaust headers melting off). I also seem to have a clutch wire oil leak... I wonder if I could find a new top gasket before my carb allan bolts come, when they arrive I want to replace the bolts for the top end with allan and fix the leak from the cam chain tensioner. Could change the seal and check the valve clearances I guess.
                              GS1000G 1981

Comment

Got a 94 Xt350 for my son to go on fire roads when he gets his permit (soon), he likes it a lot. It's not powerful but good enough, has a YZ front fork which is good but no speedometer. Worked on some small stuff, put a new clutch side gasket on, sorted out headlight and put in a new battery. Kick start only with automatic compression release.

Not bad for well under a grand, needs little things but runs fine. Now I have 4 bikes to work on, have to block Craigslist from myself.

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                                '79 GS100E
                                Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Working...
                                X