No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spent lunch time today getting the FZ1 engine back in the frame. Getting there.
    20201102_130117_HDR(1).jpg
    Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

A bit further today. I expect to be enjoying yhe 70 degree weather this Saturday on this bike.
      20201103_175343(1).jpg
      Current Bikes:

Comment

Got it running today and everything sounds good.
        Current Bikes:

Comment

Finished with carb rebuild on the RD400 that's been sitting. Spent Several hours with a Harbor Freight hot glue dent puller working on a couple places on the tank. Needs more. I'm getting used to it though. It won't fix everything. There are 3 dents, the small ones are stubborn. I'm waiting to make the tank look a bit better before I put gas in it. Practice with the tool helps. The reat fender mount /turn signal mount it out for chrome. I did some clean-up polishing on the rear fender and right fork leg. Headlight isn't working. All was fine when I parked it, except the couple dents and the fender mount. Hoping to sell at a decent price.
          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I assisted the neighbor kid pull the heads off of his Harley. It doesn't even have overhead cams! LOL @ Christopher!
            Paul

sigpic

Originally posted by Grimly
            Watery bints handing out swords is no basis for any system of government.

Comment

Flashed the software on the infotainment screen of my 2017 Civic, freeing it up from it's previously locked up state. It was a royal battle of hacking at the system through removing fuses, resetting the system, pushing random buttons to get the system to unfreeze enough to allow the flash etc. Modern technology is great...when it works. And Honda's customer service sucks.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Started taking the GS1000 apart tonight. Going to do a deep cleaning on beast this winter. I know it looks fine in the photo but it's actually been 10 years since it's had a thorough going through front to back, or in this case back to front. Clearcoat's been shabby on the clutch and stator cover for quite a while so they're going get a polish finally. Probably also finally replace the rear shocks. The bike has just barely 50,000 original miles on it and with everything set on firm they're still quite good for solo riding but it's time to open the wallet. They're not going to get any better with time. LOL. I've had a complete rack of proper Suzuki VM28's from a '79 Euro spec "S" sitting on the shelf staring at me for a few years so I'm going clean them up and give them a try. The bike is stock so with stock jetting they should be pretty much a direct swap and easy to setup. If not I'll just stick the 26's back in and sell them. Going be a long cold dark winter with this Covid thing so need to find stuff to do. Maybe get out the sawzall and put a cafe seat on it .....just kidding, just kidding.

20201109_195230 by soates50, on Flickr
                '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                  Started taking the GS1000 apart tonight. Going to do a deep cleaning on beast this winter. I know it looks fine in the photo but it's actually been 10 years since it's had a thorough going through front to back, or in this case back to front. Clearcoat's been shabby on the clutch and stator cover for quite a while so they're going get a polish finally. Probably also finally replace the rear shocks. The bike has just barely 50,000 original miles on it and with everything set on firm they're still quite good for solo riding but it's time to open the wallet. They're not going to get any better with time. LOL. I've had a complete rack of proper Suzuki VM28's from a '79 Euro spec "S" sitting on the shelf staring at me for a few years so I'm going clean them up and give them a try. The bike is stock so with stock jetting they should be pretty much a direct swap and easy to setup. If not I'll just stick the 26's back in and sell them. Going be a long cold dark winter with this Covid thing so need to find stuff to do. Maybe get out the sawzall and put a cafe seat on it .....just kidding, just kidding.

20201109_195230 by soates50, on Flickr
                  Always loved your bike Sandy...maybe we will ride next year.
                  No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                    Go Pfizer go!!! Hopefully, didn't get out much this year.
                    '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Sandy, make sure the cafe seat is brown.....
                      sigpic
                      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                      -Rusty old scooter.
                      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

The rebuild continues!!!

Carbs, exhaust and im still terrified of the electrics! here's some pics as i know we all love pics

Exhaust on the GS550E by Mike Balmer, on Flickr

GS550E carb issue by Mike Balmer, on Flickr

Mike

Harley Davidson Fatboy
                        BMW R1200GT
                        GS550 1978 Project bike
                        Yamaha Virago 535 bobber project
                        Honday VFR 750 1995 restoration project

Comment

Electrics are my Kryptonite as well, Mike.
                          Don't you just love float bowl gaskets that come off in tiny chunks.
                          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                            Electrics are my Kryptonite as well, Mike.
                            Don't you just love float bowl gaskets that come off in tiny chunks.
                            Were you hiding in my workshop, watching the crumbling mess that came out!
                            Mike

Harley Davidson Fatboy
                            BMW R1200GT
                            GS550 1978 Project bike
                            Yamaha Virago 535 bobber project
                            Honday VFR 750 1995 restoration project

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                              I’ll join you on that one.

V
                              Gustov
                              80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                              81 GS 1000 G
                              79 GS 850 G
                              81 GS 850 L
                              83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                              80 GS 550 L
                              86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                              2002 Honda 919
                              2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Finally got the $300 1150 engine lit, I bought last fall.

Hadn't done much with it...just adjusted the valves & put oil in it, then shlepped it into the 1150 frame.

Was battling electrical incompetence on my part with the clutch switch & starter solenoid.

The gas tank was not flowing gas on PRI so reverted to an auxiliary tank.

It fired up with 36mm GSXR sling shot carbs n pods on a stock engine!

Pleased it ran, as each time I walked into my little garage, the guilt vibes kept wearing on me.

20201112_150630_001 by Carter Turk, on Flickr
                                GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Working...
                                X