No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working on two old Buicks at the same time.Since the weather is really good for here at this time of year they are cutting into my riding time. Did wax the tank on the GS and rode it to a local pool tournament where I pickup my weekly gas money.🤑

Comment

Daughter & SIL (Physical Therapist & RN) wanted to know if the bike was on life support.

Wife (RN) said, that by the looks of the fluid (gasoline), it looks like i confused the catheter bag with the IV bags.

For the details of whats going on:

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Air filter was filthy, no replacement tried some Pods I had on the shelf... NICE!
        Jedz Moto
        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
        1988 Honda GL1500-6
        2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
        2020 Honda Monkey Z125
        2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
        Originally posted by Hayabuser
        Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Gas Gage shows below Empty

Completed the sparkplug cap change out. Got tanks and seat back on, headed out for test ride.

Gas guage indicates less than empty, off the scale, lower that the last mark, over the "E".

Riding along pondering this, thinking that the sender for full should be about 1 to 5 ohms, and for Empty should be about 120 ohms.
          So, apparently the sender is more than 120 ohms, like maybe open (infinite, disconnected).
          Maybe I didnt get the bullet connectors back together or something.

Pulled seat. Connectors look okay, and not backwards.
          Ohm checked. Yep: Open.

Drained the tank. (thinking I will probably be removing the sender from the tank).
          Pulled the tank.

Ohm checked right at the terminals on the sender. That seemed okay there.

Played with the ground (blk/wht) connector on the sender and it seemed loose. Pulled it off and saw corrosion. Cleaned it up, crimped it a bit tighter, put it back on, and then the ohm check on harness was okay.

That is what I like about my GS. I am familiar with most of it.
          If something happens like this on the BMW: I have no idea what all is involved, or where to start, and know is going to be e-x-x-x-p-e-n-s-i-v-e.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

The last couple of rides with Charmayne highlighted a pretty annoying problem with my headset. When we ride, we keep our Cardo Smartpack headsets in DMC (Dynamic Meshwork Communications) which essentially keeps us in constant contact with each other. I also have my music playing through my phone and have been using the GPS for some of our longer rides out of town. Unfortunately, all of that fun drains my headset battery faster than when I'm using strictly bluetooth mode. So I decided to add a power outlet to the front of the Bandit (there's a Powerlet outlet at the rear) so I can connect the headset while riding. I already have a similar set up on the GS that is not attached to the handlebars like this is. Of course, it doesn't have the USB port that this new one has so I'll add a similar one later.

Although I tested it on the bike today, I haven't given it an operational one but that will come soon I hope. It does clear the tank at full lock without any problems

New Power Port by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Bandit Power Port Opened by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Although it already contains its own switch, I chose to connect it to the auxiliary switched fuse block the previous owner had installed under the rear cowling. In the process, I also moved the GPS power connector from the battery where the PO placed it to the same fuse block. During the testing though, I kept losing power to the entire bike intermittently but couldn't see what was causing it since the main fuse was still good. Come to find out, the positive cable (made with a bracket not a ring) had slid off the post and was close enough to the battery to make it look like it was still attached but was far enough away to not provide power if I touched the side of the bike just right.
            sigpic
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
              Air filter was filthy, no replacement tried some Pods I had on the shelf... NICE!
              Meanwhile, back in Jersey......
              I've done some reading on OSS, and apparently the loved K&Ns aren't the greatest after all, and that trumpets work better. As a free experiment I put on the old airbox trumpets and went for a ride - no full throttle blasts as it was dark and deer abound, but part throttle cruising, roll ons, low speed, and even idle were smoother. I also noticed that less throttle opening was required at highway speed.
              Ram Air makes dual pods with trumpets built in - I may look into these. I certainly dont want to run open carbs. Pods back on tonight.

http://Untitled by Glen Brenner, on Flickr
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                Meanwhile, back in Jersey......
                I've done some reading on OSS, and apparently the loved K&Ns aren't the greatest after all, and that trumpets work better. As a free experiment I put on the old airbox trumpets and went for a ride - no full throttle blasts as it was dark and deer abound, but part throttle cruising, roll ons, low speed, and even idle were smoother. I also noticed that less throttle opening was required at highway speed.
                Ram Air makes dual pods with trumpets built in - I may look into these. I certainly dont want to run open carbs. Pods back on tonight.

http://Untitled by Glen Brenner, on Flickr
                Glenn, Startin' to respect ye olede Suzuki engineers?
                They wern't stupid!!! The GS line engineering was kinda crude but the GSXR line that came next was awesome!!! The airbox velocity was highly perfected.
                "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Nah, no disrespect. I will say that my old 1150e ran great with the stock setup and a K&N in the airbox. That was so long ago that barely remember though, plus that bike was mint. My current bike came with issues and never ran quite as good. Good, but never as smooth as the E. Looks like I could be onto something.

Interesting thought that on this site, I've only ever read that cheap pods suck and to use K&N, Ape or similar, with the rare mention of (can't remember the name) foam pods. The guys at Old Skool Suzuki have nothing but good to say about the Ram Air filters with the trumpets. It's good to get out and read a different group's point of view at times...
                  sigpic
                  When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                  -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Back in the early 90s I read a long technical article about the development of velocity stacks for V8 engines. Specifically the Can Am racers. Their dyno tests showed any form of filter over the stacks reduced the effect. The airbox on bikes from the 90s is far superior to pods.
                    One really dumb thing I saw on ebay was this 1997 GSXR750, with it's ram air ducts removed!!!! "Carburetors cleaned and tuned by a professional bike mechanic."
                    1997 Suzuki GSX-R
                    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

Comment

Cool time lapse video.
                        sigpic

Glen
                        -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                          Back in the early 90s I read a long technical article about the development of velocity stacks for V8 engines. Specifically the Can Am racers. Their dyno tests showed any form of filter over the stacks reduced the effect. The airbox on bikes from the 90s is far superior to pods.
                          One really dumb thing I saw on ebay was this 1997 GSXR750, with it's ram air ducts removed!!!! "Carburetors cleaned and tuned by a professional bike mechanic."
                          1997 Suzuki GSX-R
                          Gotta love those "professionals"...
                          These are the Ram Air filters. (Not the exact ones, but similar) Apparently they slip over existing trumpets. I may look into it down the road, but right now I have other things I’m hoping to get to on the bike this winter.
                          sigpic

Glen
                          -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Not sexy but just as I pulled into the driveway .. gas started leaking from my hose. Whew .. Glad it didnt happen while I was out. I used cheap hose and clamped the clamps to tight and with heat and time it made a small hole. Going to order a genuine Suzuki hose next week. Been meaning to replace the tach cable so I have en excuse to cover the shipping.

Comment

catburger…

Had to redo all the fairing frame mounts.
                              Took this pic for dorkburger:

Comment

Nice.
                                What needed to be done on the fairing mounts?
                                sigpic

Glen
                                -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Working...
                                X