No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changed the middle and final drive gear oils on my wife's '82 GS850. While I was at it changed the final drive gear oil on my Super Tenere as well.
    Kevin
    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Made some progress on the FJR today. The main stay that holds the fairing and headlight together was twisted. Ordered one used from ebay that was (mostly) straight. Had to make a few adjustments, but it'll do nicely.

Lots to do still though.
      Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      2003 FJR 1300A
      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
        Made some progress on the FJR today..
        Lots to do still though.
        Good to hear of some progress.
        More parts to get??

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

To get at least some start on restarting the GK engine rebuild project ......

Started looking at getting some familiarity with piston rings. (taint never seen any of my piston rings before this project, and dont want to see any again afterwards).
          Reading the factory manaul and practicing with the rings that came with the replacement/salvage pistons.

Was having trouble getting the two in the lower oil ring. Found that soup cans are about the right diameter, and cut them up with tin snips to make something of a ring compressor. That really helped. And managed to avoid slicing myself.... only a small nick.

Hose clamp around it might work for getting into cyclinder (why I made two).

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
            Good to hear of some progress.
            More parts to get??
            Same here. It's easy to procrastinate on this, especially with another to ride in the mean time. Not to mention the garage being a miserable place to be until now.

Yeah, I still have more parts to get. Am up over $700 now on new/ used parts and still have a ways to go. I'd say maybe another $200 ish.

I looked all over and couldn't find a small part of the inner cowl that goes to the left of the gas tank. This one twisted and broke pretty badly. I found the bigger mid and upper fairing pieces, one new and one from fleabay. Both silver and perfect matches, but this small one isn't in production anymore apparently.

I decided to use a heat gun and sttraighten this one a bit, then weld it back together. Harbor Freight has a plastic welding kit that works pretty darn well. The welding rod it came with is really flexible though so I used black zip ties. It seemed to be a perfect match in consistency. The screen on the back side, once imbedded in melted zip ties, made it super stout and I'm pleased with it. Just needs sanding and maybe some black paint, or not...

20210920_162821 by Roger, on Flickr

20210920_164249 by Roger, on Flickr

20210920_184051 by Roger, on Flickr

20210920_172522 by Roger, on Flickr
            Roger

Current rides
            1983 GS 850G
            2003 FJR 1300A
            Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I freed a 1/4 inch rusted up socket wrench.
              Took an hour.
              Wrenched on a wrench.
              1983 GS 550 LD
              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I did a ghetto tubeless conversion on a second set of wheels for my fat bike.
                "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

2012 dodge journey back brakes. One each caliper pins were rusted and frozen into the caliper carriers. What a F'n bitch !!!
                  82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Gutted my '69 Airstream Caravel for renovation. Inside patch, caulk and paint is done as well as window and door rubber and screens, now onto the rest, big job.
                    Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                    '79 GS100E
                    Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

My compressor....dang! Busted the conrod...Parts on order. This will be it's third rebuild in 30 years...

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I was going to go for a ride but instead decided to check all the bolts etc. on the new to me Bandit. Sure glad I did, bike is super clean with no damage anywhere so I was surprised at all the loose fasteners on it including the front axle retaining bolts. Just a reminder to check over anything we don't know.
                        Attached Files
                        1986 1150EF
                        2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

Changed the oil and lubed the clutch cable.

Comment

(Flickr app not cooperating. Will fix later.)

Not my garage, but working with tools on garage workbench.
                            (Improvised kitchen in garage during kitchen remodel).

might get back to wrenching in my garage Monday and Tuesday.

>>
                            GarageWorkbenchKitchen by Dave Redman, on Flickr
                            Last edited by Redman; 10-07-2021, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Had some inquisitive students in my garage this afternoon.

THe 3 year old wandered off pretty quick (found interest in pan of drain oil), but the other two took turns with the wrench to turn the crank.

Comment

I'll say it again, Dave. You are one lucky man.
                                Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                                '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Working...
                                X