No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaned up rearranged my electrical panel yesterday.

'84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Nice one Sandy, very neat!

I decided I'd seen enough of my shoulders on Saturday so time to ditch the stock mirrors and get some bar ends sorted finally.

As luck would have it, the stock bar end weights are recessed about 10mm so they cover the ends of the clip ons, which is about the same width as the mounts for the mirrors. I just chucked a spacer under the bar end weight and job done, bar end mirrors while retaining the stock bar end weights and no adjustments to controls or grips required. Bargain!

I haven't been able to road test yet as I'm waiting for a rear tyre. My slow leak turned out to be a puncture and the centre of the tyre's pretty much illegal anyway, so a new BT46 is on the way. So much for the VM33 rebuild in February, that's going to have to be a March thing now.

IMG_4387 by starpoint73, on Flickr
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

That's a great tip. Thanks for being able to understand my question too. I'm constantly tripped up with autocorrect when I type and don't always see where something stupid has come out. Like "pretty is" instead of pry open.
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        GSX400FX - very broken and in boxes; on its way to recovery after burning out a valve and being hidden away in my own garage for 28 years.
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I guess my can of stinking old carb cleaner is obsolete now. It does work but god I hate that stuff. I do love my old small town dealer though. They have an ultrasonic cleaner and for the ridiculous price of $25.00 Cdn for 4 carbs, about 5 bucks US LOL, they stuck them in the tank for me and blew them out. Yay!!! Just waiting on orings from Robert Barr now.

20210122_161831 by soates50, on Flickr
          '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

A 1000S arrived today for a look-over. Uneven running means you can hear a bad clutch basket so that's one job.
            I can see the airscrews are at very different heights on the carbs so those will be gone over too.
            Pulled the carbs and the cam cover and checked the valve clearances - as expected, those to do too.

It's very original and tidy. Even still running points. Apparently i serviced it sometime in the late 80s'.
            The owner was pointed at me by a mutual friend. I do very few now days.We're both a lot older but still recognisable, lol.
            It'll fill in a couple of days idle time.

Comment

Good progress on the S. Shims done - and the usual mix of too tight screws and loctite where it shouldn't be....Luckily nothing broke.
              Pulled the clutch. Nut just better than finger tight....And plenty of free movement with loose springs in the cush.
              Shims for the springs made and fitted. To town tomorrow to get them TIG'd in place.
              Owner thought the noise was camchain. Now sure it was all clutch basket.

Comment

Rebuilt the rear brake master cylinder on my 83 GS1100G. The repair kit from K&L Supply was a perfect match for the original parts. Kit # MSR-301 Looks like their SKU # is 232-1097. Got my rear brakes back...might need them.

Comment

I didn't really wrench on anything but my wife installed silver reflective tape on the rims of my gsx1000
                  I did some cleaning.
                  What a nice way to spend Valentine's Day.

Oreo working hard

No signature

Comment

" ....my wife installed silver reflective tape on the rims"

Relationship goals. Well Done.
                    How do I get my wife to work on my bike?
                    Rich
                    1982 GS 750TZ
                    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Another cracker in the garage.
                      ---- Dave
                      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Today I worked on the side covers on my new (to me) Honda CL 160. There are some holes where the metal has rusted...looks to me like
                        moisture collected inside the left side cover while leaning on the side stand. No big deal. Using a bit of fiberglass and some resin. After that I
                        hope to do some spot putty on some imperfections on the outside of the covers, then match the silver paint at a local paint shop here.
                        I'm in Barrie, Ontario.

Comment

Also, I'm a newbie for the 2nd time. I found this forum back in July 2015, wrote a post about my GS1100. I totally forgot about joining,
                          and, well, apologies to "Redman"..."dorkburger"..."Highway_Glider"...."chu ck hahn"...."GS1150Pilot"..."gsrick"...and any others
                          who had replied asking for photos and where I live etc. My bad. Anyway, posting a couple photos here now if I'm able.
                          -nessterDaytona March 3 2008.jpg

Comment

Daytona? Wouldn't mind being some place warm this morning after another winter wallop.

CL160 with a side stand? Don't see many with that option.
                            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Ya that photo from New Smyrna Beach in 2008...my first trip to Bike Week. That was the year I retired, threw the bike in bed of my pick-up and drove strainght through from north of Toronto to New Smyrna campground...23 hours. I have some better photos of the bike so will post as soon as I find 'em. You know, I'm not sure this CL 160 does have a side stand - I just bought it and it's partially assembled. Ijust figured if one side-cover had perforations in the bottom it was probably moisture/rain collecting on the "low side. It did come with a center stand! Hope to have it running this spring or summer.

Comment

Here's not a bad shot of the '81 GS 1100E. I was on the way home from Bruce Peninsula (north of Owen Sound, Ontario) to my home in Barrie. It was one of those rides when you're trying to outrace a storm. I'm pretty sure anyone who has done extended rides will know exactly what I mean. I was successful on this day - a totally dry ride home!IMG_20170625_134121963 (2).jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X