No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got my oil changed on the 750, fresh plugs next. Gotta get it out and ride it more, it's been nelgected some since the Spyder came on the scene.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Had an hour or so in the garage putting the rf900rw exhaust back on after rubbing down part of the down pipes and giving them 3 coats of flame proof vht primer paint followed by 2 coats of flame proof vht finish coat.
      I say part of the down pipes as mr Suzuki in his wisdom made the short headers in stainless followed by longer headers in mild steel followed by the rear in stainless why!!!
      I just hope the expense and effort pays off to cure the paint the directions say run at idle for 20 mins followed by cooling of for 20 mins followed by a further 20 mins at idle then let to cool off. Alternatively you can bake in an oven if you had one big enough or wanted to live if her indoors caught you.
      Due to various parts being off the bike the curing will have to wait for a month or two.
      if anyone has used this process please let me know your experience's.
      I am a time served mechanical engineer and I checked the workshop manual for the torque setting for the manifold fasteners 23 nm got to admit I was getting nervy tightening those fasteners it seemed very tight given it's an alloy cylinder head.
      Last edited by fastbysuzuki; 02-19-2021, 05:34 PM.
      The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
      1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
      past bikes. RF900
      TL1000s
      Hayabusa
      gsx 750f x2
      197cc Francis Barnett
      various British nails

Comment

I worked on being a better person.

and, I replaced all the sparkplug caps on the GS650. The old ones are just too funky and one of the ceramic resistors is burned. The new NGK are 5k resistance vs the OEM 10k but that is not a problem. I'll try resistor plugs first with the new and non-resistor if the bike seems unhappy.

Comment

fastbysuzuki I did my brakes a decade ago with VHT paint. Not wanting to get caught with them in the oven I hung them from the top rack of the barbeque and set it to the correct temperature with the lid slightly ajar so it would not overheat. I cleaned the barbeque first before doing it so as not to get grease on them. Would I do it again? Likely not as powdercoated finish kits are now available. Someone from this forum chimed in and said that if you leave them for a month they would cure on their own. They lasted about 7 years but winter storage in a cold shed one year at -30 is likely what did the finish in. They started to flake off the next riding season.

Comment

Changed oil/filter cold on the 04 track bike with some Actevo 10/40. Hadn't been started since 9/20/20, coincidentally the day of my big wreck in 1988.

It protested a bit on initial start up, not holding idle, fuel pump cycling, but eventually settled into a nice steady idle. Took a little blip around the block.

Realized I lost the Stomp Grip on the tank from the right side, not sure when that fell off, sometime last year apparently.
            20210218_165639 by Carter Turk, on Flickr
            GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Scuffed up the clutch plates and friction disks with red scotch brite, cleaned with alcohol, new OEM springs. Bike feels like it got +15HP, I expect oil temps will go down too.
              Also replaced what I hope is the source of a persistent oil leak, the clutch pin seal.
              Bike's running pretty nicely

1982 GS 450L aka Lil' Red
              1980 GS 1000G aka Big Red (Resto-mod WIP)

Comment

Got her out, dusted her off, checked her fluids and tires, and fired her up......All ready to go...

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Lookin' good Bob! I see the top down on the convertible👍
                  Another thing I'd love about Tennessee. Spring time comes so much sooner than in N.E.Ohio.
                  My Motorcycles:
                  22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                  22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                  82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                  81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                  79 1000e (all original)
                  82 850g (all original)
                  80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Nice GS, and looks like Sam Adams has paid a visit

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                    Got her out, dusted her off, checked her fluids and tires, and fired her up......All ready to go...

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                    '79 GS100E
                    Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                      Lookin' good Bob! I see the top down on the convertible
                      Another thing I'd love about Tennessee. Spring time comes so much sooner than in N.E.Ohio.
                      Been a late start this year, but we are getting there.
                      Another nice thing is pure gasoline. She fired up and ran great after sitting most of last year.

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
                      Haha....10 years or so ago, the wife and I tried home brewing. Probably did 12-15 batches....
                      That's what's left. Every so often, I chill a couple down, drink them, and remember why I get my beer at the store.
                      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
                        LOL, I love (virtually) nosing around someone else's garage... there's always an interesting item or two.. with a story.
                        -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

I learned a lesson. The Sporty threw a rod. Found out that the heads had been skimmed prior to my owning it, so, while initially, the pistons did not touch the heads or valves, the possibly insane compression ratio after I installed the 1200 kit exacerbated a rod going out, such that the rear piston eventually began to smack things it shouldn't. I had no idea that the motor had ever been apart, since I bought the bike with 10K on the clock.

Long story short, I ordered a very low mile 1200 motor which arrived yesterday.
                          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                          1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                            Long story short, I ordered a very low mile 1200 motor which arrived yesterday.
                            Let me know if I'm outta line askin this but, what did sometin like that set ya back?
                            Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
                            1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

Comment

Originally posted by RustyTank View Post
                              Let me know if I'm outta line askin this but, what did sometin like that set ya back?
                              The motor was $2000 shipped.
                              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

Pretty much got the GS put back together from a winter of deep cleaning, valve clearance check, a bit of polishing covers and a carb swap. It fired right up and settled into a good idle and I was surprising close with my preset adjustments and bench sync. A quick session with the carb sticks and a fiddle with the air screws and all is well. Nice smooth 1,000 RPM idle. Woohoo.

2021-03-10_02-59-18 by soates50, on Flickr
                                '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Working...
                                X