No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I decided that it was probably wise to make the exhaust go through the muffler not to make my neighboers mad. Since I have an upcoming trip I decides to improvise rather than remove the headers.

I also painted some of the centre stand with caliper paint. Then I realized I should probaly not do that while its warm.

I need a longer bolt for the other side and then patch any holes and voila fixed bike.

Ill get it welded after tho.
    GS1000G 1981

Comment

Upgraded the wheel chuck on my trailer. Will be quicker to load and more versatile between bikes.
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

In the course of going over a GS1000 dropped off here some time back, I sorted an annoying oil leak.
        The owner complained of a leak from under the sprocket cover which gave 3 possibilities.
        Gearbox output shaft seal, gearchange shaft seal or neutral switch....
        As it turned out, once the cover was off it was obvious it was the neutral switch.
        So a bigger section O ring was sorted, The switch should want to lightly spring off it's seat as the screws are tightened.
        If it doesn't the O ring isn't thick enough.

The bike is an import ex the US. Reputedly it was bought to use as the mule for the Cyclewerkes(spelling....) stainless pipes and then sold to a Kiwi friend of the pipe shop owner. My guy bought it off the importer less a pipe. It's got the old pipe from our racebike on it now.

Comment

My GS1000 isn't charging, previous owner told me he tried 'potting' the rectifier and it didn't work so I yanked it. Seems if he went to that extent he'd narrowed down the issue, but who knows. Trying not to spend any $ I found a clean looking '82 reg/rec in the parts pile that I'll try just to see if it works. Easy to swap in, even the bolt spacing is the same and the wire colors match up. I simplified and soldered the wiring from 2 units to 1. I know the Suzuki stuff is suspect but my '82 1100E is still working fine with the original charging system, maybe lightning will strike twice. Worst case I wasted an hour of time in the garage drinking beer and listening to tunes. There's a good probability I'll be getting the SH775, I'm guessing. Hopefully the stator isn't fried, will be testing to some extent soon, depending on my luck.

Looks like a rat's nest but all clean and properly soldered, heat shrink tubing put on, ground wire tested and dielectric grease etc.

Last edited by oldGSfan; 06-28-2021, 01:24 AM.
          Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
          '79 GS100E
          Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Any pics of the bike? Oil leak fixing is such a PITA .... nice when it turns out to be the least worst of the leak area options, as I just found with the top end of my 1100E.

Originally posted by GregT View Post
            In the course of going over a GS1000 dropped off here some time back, I sorted an annoying oil leak.
            The owner complained of a leak from under the sprocket cover which gave 3 possibilities.
            As it turned out, once the cover was off it was obvious it was the neutral switch.
            So a bigger section O ring was sorted, The switch should want to lightly spring off it's seat as the screws are tightened.

The bike is an import ex the US. Reputedly it was bought to use as the mule for the Cyclewerkes(spelling....) stainless pipes and then sold to a Kiwi friend of the pipe shop owner. My guy bought it off the importer less a pipe. It's got the old pipe from our racebike on it now.
            Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
            '79 GS100E
            Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
              Any pics of the bike? Oil leak fixing is such a PITA .... nice when it turns out to be the least worst of the leak area options, as I just found with the top end of my 1100E.
              When it's back together. Took the pipe in for gritblasting today - it's only painted and looking a tad shabby.
              But we're middle of winter here and it's too cold and damp to paint in the spaces I have available.
              I've just gone through the same guy's GS1000 racebike which has sat for several years, Blasted that pipe too.
              He's likely to get both bikes back with the pipes unpainted and off the bikes....He can find a warm space to do them.

The story we were told about the road bike is that Chris - the pipe guy - was going to do a restomod on it after using it to jig up the stainless pipes.
              But it was/is too nice and original so it was sold and wound up in NZ. It's not that original....it's got keihin CR31's on it. And I put Brembo 2-pot calipers on the front. Bit of carb sorting to do too. way too rich down low.

Comment

A while ago I bought a pair of cheap Black&Decker style Workmates, in a 2fer1 deal. It occurred to me they'd be useful for quite a few things, balancing wheels being one of them.

---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post

The sprocket cover is the one the gear lever is attached to? I have leak coming out of the boot of the secondary drive area.

It also leaks from the cover infront of the gear lever, but that is probably just a gasket. And from the cam chain tensioner.

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
                  My bike is like a sieve. It leaks oil EVERYWHERE. Fix one and another one appears.

But the one from the booth is most worrying as it drips onto my tyre. but taking the entire secondary drive off seems like a major operation.
                  GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
                    The sprocket cover is the one the gear lever is attached to? I have leak coming out of the boot of the secondary drive area.

It also leaks from the cover infront of the gear lever, but that is probably just a gasket. And from the cam chain tensioner.

My bike is like a sieve. It leaks oil EVERYWHERE. Fix one and another one appears.

But the one from the booth is most worrying as it drips onto my tyre. but taking the entire secondary drive off seems like a major operation.
                    This is a GS1000E chain drive. Quite different from your G in that area. And yes, an oil leak from the secondary drive can be an involved job to fix.

Comment

Arghh: Took the carbs off to drop the floats a MM and thought I was going to repair the master cylinder as it seized up the other day on a test ride. No love though, I got the circlip out and that's as far as I got. I am soaking it now but have a KLR650 one coming anyway. I want to keep it all stock but not taking chances on brakes,
                      1986 1150EF
                      2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

I attached a modern waterproof connector to the fuel gauge wires. It has been working shoddily since I got the bike and I broke one of the bullet connectors off. I got it at Wurth.

I am hoping this connector is more reliable and works better than the old one. I think Ill use more of these if I need in the future. But they only have two leads.
                        GS1000G 1981

Comment

I didn't work on my bike this weekend but I did get my '68 Corvette out of it's 2 year hibernation. The original 300hp 327, which I had rebuilt back in the late 70's, was faithful for 40+ years but was getting tired. It took me awhile to save the money for the new engine. So, with the help of Bulldog Auto owner, Joe (holding the cherry picker) and 2 more motorhead friends, Chris, and Jim..out with the old..

And in with the new.

This is a 383 Stroker motor with roller cam, aluminum heads, Edlebrock intake, 750cfm Quadrajet, stainless steel headers. It churns out 425hp and 420 lb. ft. of torque. I also sprung for a new aluminum radiator that works SO much better then the original.

I retained the 45 year old Mickey Thompson aluminum valve covers and original air cleaner.

Chevrolet always had these stickers on their air cleaners..but instead of saying Turbo-Fire as they all seem to have..I had this one specially made..

I just took it for it's first real drive today after fine tuning and it runs like a scalded cat, and it's not even broken in yet. I am so stoked! Jegs builds a good crate motor, I would send anyone there. The service was amazing and I couldn't be happier with the results. I'll save the original numbers matching 327, and if/when the time comes to part with the car, I'll give them the opportunity to take it with the purchase. Until then..I'm going to drive the wheels off this thing. After owning it for 46 years, it's finally what I've always wanted..a car that goes as good as it looks.

Last edited by nvr2old; 07-10-2021, 08:57 PM.
                          1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

nvr2old,is that a 327 stroked-out to 383 ci. ?
                            That's a beautiful 1968' Corvette ! 4 Speed? ! I like standard trans.
                            Last edited by grcamna2; 07-11-2021, 12:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by grcamna2 View Post
                              nvr2old,is that a 327 stroked-out to 383 ci. ?
                              No. It started out as a 350ci with a 400ci crank and then modified to 383ci. The engine blows me away with the torque it has
                              1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

That is gorgeous, Larry.
                                As low-key as a 425hp Vette can be with your rims and grill work.
                                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                                X