what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happiness is a warm Brillo Pad.

The Hardly silencer, after I'd butchered the inside a bit, was making a good job of taking the output of the Delko downpipes, but there was an annoying blat from it above 4500 rpm, which got steadily more intense.

Looking more closely at the inside I realised there was a flat area at the end of the baffled section which was probably giving rise to a reflected wave, and in turn building up some constructive / destructive pressure waves inside the collector. Also, I realised that I'd inadvertently created a resonator chamber with the rear section of the collector and the front hollow of the silencer, that amounted to nearly a foot of uncontrolled effaboutedness (technical term).

I fashioned a cone to guide the gases into the silencer (actually, it was a cone from the Hardle guts that I'd thrown out), migged it into place and stuffed a couple of stainless steel pot scourers in the space.

Sounds much better, but need to see if the annoying blat is gone on the road.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

IMG_1477.jpgbroken side cover pegs had me stumped for a long time every option seemed expensive. Two new replacement covers plus shipping would be over $100, if I could find the right colour otherwise I'd also need to paint(still more $$). Replacement pegs were about $30 for a pair and I needed three, $60. Plastifix, fussy and expensive, I had the material but it seemed a waste to use it to make pegs.

Final solution a 3' wooden dowel from a hobby shop for $2, shaped, cut took about 15 minutes per peg. Glued in place with Sure Seal and a washer for support. About an 1-2 hrs before I had it fitted properly but three years to come up with the solution.
      1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Having been informed by M&P that the aftermarket tacho drives are no longer being supplied, I took the refund and bought one of these...
        front of gauge.jpg

From a stockist in Latvia, so should get it reasonably quickly. I've been quite happy with the KUS oil temperature gauge, so thought I may as well take a punt on another gauge from them.
        8000 is high enough, I think.
        ---- Dave
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

Took a punt on a cheap and cheerful Chinese wind deflector, as the screen is just a couple of inches too short.

wind deflector 02_cr.jpg

It's not bad for quality, far exceeding what I expected for the price. Time will tell how well it holds up to being banged about by the wind, though.

---- Dave

Comment

Interesting find, Grimly. I know someone could use one of these. Report back if it works out well. I've had pretty good result from similar plastics- a bubble faceshield for my old helmet. I've bounced one of these on the highway inadvertently at 60mph and though scratched, did not shatter. Definitely polycarbonate and coated too....they aren't generally "DOT approved" is all I can think to say as a caution where it might ever matter (to a lawyer?)

Comment

Zinc plating, again!

Started doing the winter facelift on the GS750 this week. Took the rear wheel off and converted it to tubeless. While it was apart, decided to re-zinc some bits. Thanks to some help from a fellow GS'er (Thanks philosopheriam!) they came out looking much better!

IMG_0304.jpg
              Ron
              When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
              1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
              1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
              1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
              1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Discovered yesterday that the annoying blat from the exhaust has been tamed, so the cone idea worked, and the scrubbers probably helped. It's now a fairly smooth progress of not too loud noise cleanly up the rev range. Remains to be seen how the scrubbers cope with sooting up. I already had scrubbers in the Hardly silencers on the XJ and sooting up, while not causing a problem, was definitely there. Anyway, it now allows me to carry on the work with the AFR and get the carb properly dialed in.

The cheapanese wind deflector works great, but is slightly too tall, so I've ordered another one. They're so cheap there's no point in trying to cut this one down and likely busting it.

Today I fitted an LED flasher unit, as the original 'zuk one finally stopped working properly, refusing to flash on the right side, oddly enough. I put that down to difference in connection quality somewhere on either side. Since I was changing the fronts to LEDs, it needed a new flasher anyway.

---- Dave

Comment

Now that we have + 14" of snow I installed a new LED headlight bulb, definitely an improvement over the halogen. Thanks for the reference HJFisk.

Also bought some new rub pieces for the foot pegs and kick starter.

Now working on installing a new speedo trip meter knob. Seems like the stem is too short. Can't get it to lock/snap into the metal "rod/pin".
                  1979 GS850G
                  2004 SV650N track bike
                  2005 TT-R125 pit bike
                  LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Interesting !

I have a T500 engine, looking for inspiration what to do with that.
                    Until i saw your pics (like them alot, looks like a very cool cafe build !) this was appealing to me, using a 'modern' GS500 frame.

14. GS T 500 - SUZUKI KATANA 01.jpg
                    Last edited by Rijko; 12-04-2019, 09:10 PM.
                    Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                    VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                    Bikecliff's website
                    The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

another pic. Will you start a build thread for your cafe build ?

14. GS T 500 - SUZUKI KATANA 02.jpg
                      Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                      VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                      Bikecliff's website
                      The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]59636[/ATTACH]broken side cover pegs had me stumped for a long time every option seemed expensive. Two new replacement covers plus shipping would be over $100, if I could find the right colour otherwise I'd also need to paint(still more $$). Replacement pegs were about $30 for a pair and I needed three, $60. Plastifix, fussy and expensive, I had the material but it seemed a waste to use it to make pegs.

Final solution a 3' wooden dowel from a hobby shop for $2, shaped, cut took about 15 minutes per peg. Glued in place with Sure Seal and a washer for support. About an 1-2 hrs before I had it fitted properly but three years to come up with the solution.
                        Where do you buy replacement pegs?
                        That's new to me.
                        1982 Katana 1100, 1997 HD Ultra Classic, 1996 Buell S2T, 2002 BMW K1200RS, 1969 Royal Enfield Interceptor Triton project
                        New project 1979 GS1000S
                        Recently sold 1979 Honda CBX1000

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
                          another pic. Will you start a build thread for your cafe build ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]59695[/ATTACH]
                          Yes that would be cool ,it look very interesting.
                          1982 Katana 1100, 1997 HD Ultra Classic, 1996 Buell S2T, 2002 BMW K1200RS, 1969 Royal Enfield Interceptor Triton project
                          New project 1979 GS1000S
                          Recently sold 1979 Honda CBX1000

Comment

Love the look of that wheel, jabcb.
                            What is the tailpiece from? A vintage cafe build?
                            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Removed two seats, three sidecovers and one battery. Was prepared to remove second battery, had my bathroom mat ready to be rolled up and wedged under the rear of the tank to displace it, only to find my mechanic had changed the two sloppy screws and bolts holding the frame crossmember with four beautiful, shiny new Allen bolts. Just have to find the right Allen wrench.

And used jumper cables on a bike for the first time. A bit unwieldy. Surely they make bike-sized jumper cables, correct?
                              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                                And used jumper cables on a bike for the first time. A bit unwieldy. Surely they make bike-sized jumper cables, correct?
                                Yes they do....
                                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                                X