what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lookin' mo betta

"Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Received another SU needle in the post, an AAA profile, and fitted it today.
      The AAA is profiled to feed approximately 70 hungry horses on a tuned Mini 1000 (in the same ballpark for air demand), so I was fairly hopeful it would provide a reasonably close approximation to what I need here.
      Instant difference on startup, almost immediately settled into a better idle than before. After some warm-up time, a bit of normal mixture and idle settings and the engine ticked over more steadily than it ever did before, so it's looking good. Flicking on the AFR gauge revealed the idle is a steady 12.6, so bang-on.
      Wasn't able to do a test ride today as the wind was gusting up to 60+mph, so out on the road tomorrow with it.

In the same package was a hi-flow fuel inlet valve, normally fitted to fuel-guzzlers, but I suspect it's needed here to compensate for the gravity feed. I was never conscious of needing one before, but like a bolt from the blue it suddenly hit me - to rule it out, fit a bigger one.
      I also suspect the petcock might not be flowing as much as it should, but will check that properly with a drain test both on the Prime and On setting. Last time I drained the tank on Prime there was no shortage of flow, but I've never checked it on the On position.

Once I get this carb sorted out properly, I can modify the spare carb for greater airflow and raise its capacity to almost match the next size up.
      The carb in this case (currently fitted) is an HIF38 (1.5"), the next size up is the HIF44 (1.75").
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I had dual custom brake lines made to replace the oem splitter system on the 1150. I cracked open one of the bleeders yesterday and was surprised to see fluid in there, I expected them to be dry I asked the mechanic if he bleed them at the shop, nope He'd put fluid in but that was all.

Well now that I'd opened it and let air in I expected to be bleeding everything, confirmed by zero resistance at the lever. I got my vac pump out and tried to bleed the left hand caliper, fluid and air came through but never a steady stream of fluid. I did this for an hr with my son and got no where. My mechanic told me when bleeding always start at the MC crack open the line and you'll hear air escape. I did that and still no brakes. Vac pump some more and still nothing, frustrated I went into the house to consult the forums technical advice..."GS with anti-dive are a pain in the butt, it can take many hr's" was the consensus.

Well now I'm concerned, I consult the shop manual which was no help. Dejected and confused what was I doing wrong? I have a coffee then an hour later I'm back into the garage give the lever a quick squeeze I have solid brakes WTH! I hadn't even bled the right caliper yet . Hoisted the bike off of the front wheel spun the tire and squeezed the lever and it worked I texted my mechanic and he's as puzzled as I am.

There's some weird sort of black magic at play here. Not sure whether to trust the Moto Gods smiling down on me or continue the bleed process.
        1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

The micro-bubbles slowly made their way up the line and dispersed at the surface of the m/c reservoir.
          This is what happens when the old technique of strapping the lever back to the bar and leaving it overnight is employed as a last resort on a reluctant system.
          ---- Dave
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
            The micro-bubbles slowly made their way up the line and dispersed at the surface of the m/c reservoir.
            This is what happens when the old technique of strapping the lever back to the bar and leaving it overnight is employed as a last resort on a reluctant system.
            that's what my mechanic said may have happened but in an only hour? And not having bled the right caliper at all?...I guess I should just be grateful for my good fortune but I can't help be suspicious.

Comment

Last time I used that technique it happened quite quickly. I'd left it to sit overnight, but checking it within a couple of hours revealed that it had worked a lot faster than I was expecting. Probably down to the run of the lines and that there were only some not-so-micro bubbles to clear.

I suspect that if the fluid is heavily populated with really fine micro-bubbles it will take a lot longer for them to coalesce and find their way upwards.
              Last edited by Grimly; 03-06-2020, 07:59 AM.
              ---- Dave

Comment

I was riding last weekend, when I noticed something dancing around my fuel gauge. Once I stopped, I noticed it was one of the screws that holds the face plate on. I took off the tach and ground down the flange holding the bezel on and popped it off. I went to Hobby Lobby and picked up a bottle of day glo paint to touch of that 1/4 inch at the tip of the needle, lol. I used a Loctite silicone to reattach the bezel. I left enough of the flange on so that it actually grabbed the housing. I went ahead and replaced the bulbs while I was at it. Next, I have to work on the tank. The bike fell over in the back of my truck and did a nice job on it. Not too bad. Should be able to get it repaired and repainted soon. I just got in all the "paintless" dent repair tools I need. It will need to be repainted though.

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
                Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Putting it all back together, Forks rebuilt with emulators and springs, Mikuni RS36 carbs, Hindle headers, SS brake lines, tail cowl conversion, eliminated oem tail light, polished tank and fork brace, new paint, shed about 30-35lbs of weight. A few minor details to sort out and a good cleaning and I'm ready for spring! Two more winters and I should be all done.
                  IMG_1593.jpg

Comment

Started and sync'd the carbs today on the GS for the first time since before I broke my leg. I'll get it out this weekend finally
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

My new SS exhaust can was rubbing on the peg hanger so I fabricated a longer bracket from an Ikea kitchen bracket. Polished it up and it looks like the stainless steel header.

Comment

Today I made a better exhaust noise.

---- Dave

Comment

1100G_2020 winter project

Bolted the head back on last Sunday, the Delkevic exhaust Thursday.
                          Today I'm trying on new luggage.

Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 03-13-2020, 04:27 PM.
                          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

Cool fairing!
                            1979 GS850G
                            2004 SV650N track bike
                            2005 TT-R125 pit bike
                            LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

BB,
                              I notice that you seem to think a picture of your bike is not complete without you also siting on it. A direct profile shot, as if studying the ergonomics. Good idea !

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                                BB,
                                I notice that you seem to think a picture of your bike is not complete without you also siting on it. A direct profile shot, as if studying the ergonomics. Good idea !
                                Right on my bro, that's exactly why I shoot pics of me on the bike whenever I make a change affecting my riding posture or have questions about it.

Comment

Working...
                                X