Page 761 of 762 FirstFirst ... 261661711751759760761762 LastLast
Results 7,601 to 7,610 of 7619

Thread: what did you wrench on today??

Today I worked on the side covers on my new (to me) Honda CL 160. There are some holes where the metal has rusted...looks to me like
    moisture collected inside the left side cover while leaning on the side stand. No big deal. Using a bit of fiberglass and some resin. After that I
    hope to do some spot putty on some imperfections on the outside of the covers, then match the silver paint at a local paint shop here.
    I'm in Barrie, Ontario.

Also, I'm a newbie for the 2nd time. I found this forum back in July 2015, wrote a post about my GS1100. I totally forgot about joining,
    and, well, apologies to "Redman"..."dorkburger"..."Highway_Glider"...."chu ck hahn"...."GS1150Pilot"..."gsrick"...and any others
    who had replied asking for photos and where I live etc. My bad. Anyway, posting a couple photos here now if I'm able.
    -nessterDaytona March 3 2008.jpg

steve murdoch is offline Forum Guru Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Daytona? Wouldn't mind being some place warm this morning after another winter wallop.

CL160 with a side stand? Don't see many with that option.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Ya that photo from New Smyrna Beach in 2008...my first trip to Bike Week. That was the year I retired, threw the bike in bed of my pick-up and drove strainght through from north of Toronto to New Smyrna campground...23 hours. I have some better photos of the bike so will post as soon as I find 'em. You know, I'm not sure this CL 160 does have a side stand - I just bought it and it's partially assembled. Ijust figured if one side-cover had perforations in the bottom it was probably moisture/rain collecting on the "low side. It did come with a center stand! Hope to have it running this spring or summer.

Here's not a bad shot of the '81 GS 1100E. I was on the way home from Bruce Peninsula (north of Owen Sound, Ontario) to my home in Barrie. It was one of those rides when you're trying to outrace a storm. I'm pretty sure anyone who has done extended rides will know exactly what I mean. I was successful on this day - a totally dry ride home!IMG_20170625_134121963 (2).jpg

Got my oil changed on the 750, fresh plugs next. Gotta get it out and ride it more, it's been nelgected some since the Spyder came on the scene.
    MrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Had an hour or so in the garage putting the rf900rw exhaust back on after rubbing down part of the down pipes and giving them 3 coats of flame proof vht primer paint followed by 2 coats of flame proof vht finish coat.
    I say part of the down pipes as mr Suzuki in his wisdom made the short headers in stainless followed by longer headers in mild steel followed by the rear in stainless why!!!
    I just hope the expense and effort pays off to cure the paint the directions say run at idle for 20 mins followed by cooling of for 20 mins followed by a further 20 mins at idle then let to cool off. Alternatively you can bake in an oven if you had one big enough or wanted to live if her indoors caught you.
    Due to various parts being off the bike the curing will have to wait for a month or two.
    if anyone has used this process please let me know your experience's.
    I am a time served mechanical engineer and I checked the workshop manual for the torque setting for the manifold fasteners 23 nm got to admit I was getting nervy tightening those fasteners it seemed very tight given it's an alloy cylinder head.
    Last edited by fastbysuzuki; 02-19-2021 at 05:34 PM.

I worked on being a better person.

and, I replaced all the sparkplug caps on the GS650. The old ones are just too funky and one of the ceramic resistors is burned. The new NGK are 5k resistance vs the OEM 10k but that is not a problem. I'll try resistor plugs first with the new and non-resistor if the bike seems unhappy.

fastbysuzuki I did my brakes a decade ago with VHT paint. Not wanting to get caught with them in the oven I hung them from the top rack of the barbeque and set it to the correct temperature with the lid slightly ajar so it would not overheat. I cleaned the barbeque first before doing it so as not to get grease on them. Would I do it again? Likely not as powdercoated finish kits are now available. Someone from this forum chimed in and said that if you leave them for a month they would cure on their own. They lasted about 7 years but winter storage in a cold shed one year at -30 is likely what did the finish in. They started to flake off the next riding season.

Changed oil/filter cold on the 04 track bike with some Actevo 10/40. Hadn't been started since 9/20/20, coincidentally the day of my big wreck in 1988.

It protested a bit on initial start up, not holding idle, fuel pump cycling, but eventually settled into a nice steady idle. Took a little blip around the block.

Realized I lost the Stomp Grip on the tank from the right side, not sure when that fell off, sometime last year apparently.
    20210218_165639 by Carter Turk, on Flickr
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES