No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was my third attempt, and it took me all morning, but I finally got the gall-dang stuck window in my garage to open....

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
      I'll say it again, Dave. You are one lucky man.
      True. (with regards to grandkids anyway)

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
      It was my third attempt, and it took me all morning, but I finally got the gall-dang stuck window in my garage to open....
      What was the trick? .... solvents? jacks? prying? Momentum Transfer Technology (hit with hammer)?
      Last edited by Redman; 10-10-2021, 04:37 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
        What was the trick? .... solvents? jacks? prying? Momentum Transfer Technology (hit with hammer)?
        All of the above, plus a putty knife hammered in all around...
        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I rescued an old wood floor from a terrible stain job. The owner was sick of trying to get it looking good and almost covered it with tile. Three passes with a drum sander, two times around with an edger (which required a wrench to change sanding discs) and a buffing here and there did the trick. Topped it off with three coats of oil based poly and man did it shine!

Before:

After:

Roger

Current rides
          1983 GS 850G
          2003 FJR 1300A
          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Nice work, Roger.
            That is beautiful.

How pervasive was the dust to the rest of the house?
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Great job Roger. Doesn't even look like the same floor. I'm sure the owner was very happy with the results
              Larry

'79 GS 1000E
              '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
              '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
              '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
              '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Thanks guys.

I hung plastic to contain the dust so it wasn't bad at all in other areas. In closets and down the narrow hallway, running the edger filled my eyes with dust. That made it challenging. Inexpensive rental equipment doesn't have very efficient dust collection.

The homeowners were nearly in tears when it was done. I wasn't sure if they were tears of joy or fumes from the finish. Lol
                Roger

Current rides
                1983 GS 850G
                2003 FJR 1300A
                Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                  Finally found out why, and fixed it, this FZ1 would periodically just die on me and was a bit hard starting. I knew it was losing spark but wasn't sure why until I finally searched for it in the FZ1OA forum and it's common with these gen 1 bikes. Apparently the ignition switch gets dirt and grime down inside and it interrupts signal getting to the igniter. So, after flooding the key hole with WD40 over and over until it started coming out the bottom clean and after the key started coming out clean, it seems to be cured. And, it also seems to be running better and definitely easier to start. Hasn't died on me yet after about 4 hours of riding time. I like these inexpensive fixes.
                  I once fixed a bad voltage drop and intermittent connection with two cans of WD-40. Just kept going until gunk stopped coming out. When the first can ran out, I grabbed another. It was not a vintage bike, either; I'm not sure how things even got that bad unless a PO kept dumping something incompatible in there.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Did the oil and filter on the Sportster today, checked belt tension, tire pressures, and added a little Techron to the fuel.
                    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

Getting the mods done on my new DR650 this weekend.
                      Warp 9 engine guards
                      Acerbis tank and skid plate
                      IMS Led headlight
                      Warp 9 foot pegs with IMS lowering brackets
                      New cleaner tail light
                      Still need to put on the Apollo heated grips, Pro Taper fat bars, Acerbis lever guards, Yoshi exhaust and jet kit, Double Take Adventure mirrors, Rear rack....
                      And suspension upgrades....I'm going to have the only $11,000 DR650! Lol...

And I made my own headlight protection...

No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                        Getting the mods done on my new DR650 this weekend.
                        wow! now that's how ya do it. jeally !!
                        (can't believe you didn't go with the KLR tho lol )
                        1100 Katana / 1100 ES

pragmatic not dogmatic

Comment

Used a couple of strap wrenches to tighten the fittings on this set of handrails.

I had the black gas pipe sections cut and threaded then took it all to be powder coated.

Another happy customer.

Wish I had done the treads and risers on this one. That laminate flooring with trim up the sides looks terrible.
                          Roger

Current rides
                          1983 GS 850G
                          2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

Worked on A 81 Honda Cb650 Carbs and rear a rear flat.. lol..Happy , Happy..I hate Honda .. Sorry.Suzuki been with me since a kid... lol..Did you ever hear was HONDA was for::Hop On Nothing Dumb Ass..O well @ wheels all the same to me..:No Disrespect to Honda owners..They are quite dependable..I have done Suzuki's and Yamaha's for 40 yrs.,, Since a kid ..Not many Gs1100 and Gs1150's around out here in this country..
                            sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

This eavning i took Martek system out and fitted it back with the timing mark plate on my 78 GS 1000 got the timing to spec and its a world of improvement to set by ear now the carbs are begging for a cleasn up and ballance
                              1978GS1000E
                              GSX600R K1

Comment

The Sportster threw two BCM codes on my way home last night. One was a headlight short code, the other the front brake switch stuck on code. I pulled over when the light went on, checked that all lights were in working order (not out or stuck on), then rode home. The BCM has never fully liked the Kuryakyn LED lights I have on the bike, and some enterprising souls have soldered in a diode to address the headlight code issue. I may get someone to do that someday. I disassembled, cleaned and lubricated the front brake lever and switch assembly, reinstalled it, cleared the codes and ran the bike around the block before rechecking for codes. None currently showing.
                                "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                                1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                                X