No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This was well outside my normal area of work...I got talked into doing it for a friend of a friend - as you do.
    It's based on a BSA A10 pre-unit 650. Chopped many years ago now but at some time the A10 engine and box have disappeared and an A65 Lightning engine found. It had sat with the A65 just sitting in the frame for years before the F of a F bought it. Initially I was aked to go through the engine - but then they realised how much they couldn't do - so I got asked, Ha.
    Anyway, engine done, polished while it was apart. Mounted in the frame.Two crossmembers moved and rewelded... Coils sourced and mounted, powerbox for the alternator likewise. Std pipes off the shelf locally with aftermarket mufflers. Air cleaners again locally. Footrests made and mounted. All the other little time consuming bits to convert it from a mag ignition, generator type engine to the A65.
    Dry build done. Owner can now work his way around it, painting, plating and polishing.
    And my bench is clear. The longest bike I've ever had here, LOL.
    Attached Files

Comment

What a project! Looks great.
      sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
        Last Friday I gave the tall windshield a trim. My wife said it looks like I clipped a giant fingernail, LOL.

It has always bugged me but having a heavy load recently made it apparent this thing was way too tall for me.

I cut three inches off and noticed no significant difference in wind noise or protection from rain or bugs. Surely a few more butterflies or whatever will hit my visor, but after almost 400 miles it's been fine so far. I did notice how much easier it made things not having to look through the windshield for things at close range.
        I been there. You're taking a first step towards buying a sport bike, but will take a few years.
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Cleaning up…

As I work on the detail issues with this old bike, I got a bucket of soapy water and a sponge. I'm scrubbing off all the dust and grime I can reach.

Check and adjust valve clearances next.
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

When I fitted the GS1000 fork legs to the 850, I discovered the lowered front made the centre stand too long, so I shortened it. Too much, as it turned out.
            Rather than attempt to lengthen it, I acquired a GS1000 stand and fitted that, it's ok for length but discovered the top of the stand where it bears on a cross-tube at the bottom of the frame is at a different angle to the 850 one (why on earth did they do that?), so today I hacksawed a sliver out of the tops of the legs, heated and bashed the landing pads to the correct angle and welded them in place.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

A bikini fairing arrived today, I'm going to fit it to my gs1100gk that I d-kayed a while ago. I removed from box, put it in shed. Looked at bike.
              Thats it. ha! Oh dear. Cold here, and lack of motivation. Ok more my temperament than temperature. Feeling a little sad as I sold one of my GKs and now only have 2. Needed extra funds, works been a bit slow.
              gs1100gk 1985 (x 2)
              gs850g 1980
              Previously owned
              gs1100gk 1984(just sold).
              gs850g x 2 '79, '80, gs1100gk x 2 '84, '85, gs1000 '78, gs1100g '82, gr650 '82, Buell x 2 '99 & '09, Harley xlch '65, Yam vmax '95, FJ1100 '82, Honda 500/4 '74, Kwaka z250 '80...

Comment

Yeah, cold here too. This time last year, I bought an LPG/fan heater for the workshop - light industrial size. Tried it out once then got the call to go in for surgery and basically spent last winter recovering. Pulled it out today and fired it up. 5 deg C to 18 deg C in 20 minutes. Nice.
                So got into the DR125 engine. Big bore, mild cam, new rod kit,new seals, mild head work with new valves. Just the cam to dial in and valve to piston clearances to check and another one out the door.

Comment

Came across a storage box at the local Ace that looked just the right size to fit in the air box hole.
                  Wanted something in there to carry my tool roll, and a couple other things. Zipped tied in for now, looks like it will work..

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                  '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Spooned a new set of Shinko 230's on the GS1000 today. Waiting for the thunderstorms to pass so I can go out and scrape the "new" off of them! Gotta get 'em ready for next weekend in Bedford! Hope I don't have to see how well they work in the rain.

Also sealed the tank on the GS550. Man, that Caswell tank sealer is good stuff!
                    Ron
                    When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
                    1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
                    1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
                    1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
                    1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

You'll love those tires in the rain
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Yeah maybe, but the only rain suit that I own has a big Harley Davidson emblem on the back! Will a GS run with someone wearing that on it?
                        Ron
                        When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
                        1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Originally posted by 1978GS750E View Post
                          Yeah maybe, but the only rain suit that I own has a big Harley Davidson emblem on the back! Will a GS run with someone wearing that on it?
                          NOPE...…. It probably will, I just don't want to be behind it all day.
                          Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                          '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                          '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                          '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                          '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Don't worry Larry, I'm leaving the Street Glide at home. Of course, to ride it I need a doo-rag, sleeveless shirt, some tats and a vest!

Ron
                            Ron
                            1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

My long term "fix all the wiring hijinks of the PO" is slowly coming to an end, and I couldn't be happier. Have maybe one more weekend of taking parts of the main harness off and actually soldering/heat shrinking wires that were previously just twisted together and covered in mounds of electrical tape. Also sanded and painted my side stand and center stand since those were showing rust and general wear in most areas.
                              1982 GS850GL - Shaved seat foam and new seat cover; Daytona handlebars and Tusk risers; Puig "Naked" Windscreen\
                              1978 KZ200 - Mostly original, hydraulic front brake swap, superbike bars; purchased at 7k original miles
                              Track bike project: 2008 Hyosung frame w/ 97 gs500E engine swap (in progress)

Comment

20190616_155115 by Larry Dennis, on Flickr
                                Larry D
                                1980 GS450S
                                1981 GS450S
                                2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
                                X