20190616_155104 by Larry Dennis, on Flickr

20190616_123427 by Larry Dennis, on Flickr

20190614_203106 by Larry Dennis, on Flickr

Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Last week my stator output was 65, 59, and 44 volts across the three legs and voltage at the battery was 12.3 all at 4k rpm's.

Just installed a new Caltric stator and revving it to 4k the readings are across the three legs, a consistent 80 volts, with the battery charging at 13.5.

Now I'm camping happily!
      Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      2003 FJR 1300A
      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Nice to get exactly the desired results after spending the money!
        sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Wednesday wrenched till 1am on 04 gixxer replacing the head gasket, after freeze plug incident.
          Left the rear bottom engine bolt in and just lowered it out the perimeter frame to access the head.
          worked out nicely and made it much easier to pivot the engine back into place.
          GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

A B&S 8 HP tiller motor. With a friend. He got a cheap coil on amazon and said it just up and quit. So pull the shroud off and lo the condenser wire had been sheared off by the flywheel. Easy fix right? New connector continuity. Spark tester to block flashes when you crank but a plug will not spark. So the resistance on the coil is some oddball 1.687 kohms Oem spec says 2.5 to 5 which is an oddly wide operating range but no matter. Buddy refuses to suspect his coil. SO its off to the Princess Auto to buy a points plug condenser kit that is at least as sketchy as the aftermarket chinese coil.

Assembled correctly gapped same symptoms. Buddy insists not the coil. Magnet seemed fine and he even got a mild shock from the condenser hand spinning the engine. Naw it aint my precious coil no way man.

The only thing I can think of beyond the coils is the condenser wire insulation leaking to ground. To this end I ask as it is nowhere published what is the gauge of this lovely solid core copper wire.

Also why wont he consider the coil as bad with its wonky resistance reading and the fact that the ignition bits are all new albeit Chinese and sketchy. Would a kick in the nuts help him?
            1983 GS 550 LD
            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
              A B&S 8 HP tiller motor. With a friend. He got a cheap coil on amazon and said it just up and quit. So pull the shroud off and lo the condenser wire had been sheared off by the flywheel. Easy fix right? New connector continuity. Spark tester to block flashes when you crank but a plug will not spark. So the resistance on the coil is some oddball 1.687 kohms Oem spec says 2.5 to 5 which is an oddly wide operating range but no matter. Buddy refuses to suspect his coil. SO its off to the Princess Auto to buy a points plug condenser kit that is at least as sketchy as the aftermarket chinese coil.

Assembled correctly gapped same symptoms. Buddy insists not the coil. Magnet seemed fine and he even got a mild shock from the condenser hand spinning the engine. Naw it aint my precious coil no way man.

The only thing I can think of beyond the coils is the condenser wire insulation leaking to ground. To this end I ask as it is nowhere published what is the gauge of this lovely solid core copper wire.

Also why wont he consider the coil as bad with its wonky resistance reading and the fact that the ignition bits are all new albeit Chinese and sketchy. Would a kick in the nuts help him?
              Sadly, no, it probably won't have the desired effect...
              I recently went through the 8hp B & S shi#fight myself. Mower engine died. Had what I thought was a good electric start spare needing a valve grind so pulled that one down...large piece of the exhaust valve seat missing.
              Right, another engine with unknown history had come with the mower. Pull that down. Exhaust valve seat ring was nearly right out of the block...
              OK, pull down the original engine. Valve seats OK. Continue, replacing rings and using the best bits of all three engines. Finished, looks good. won't start. Carburation issues.
              Had enough. Sold it. Bought another mower - which doesn't use a B & S engine....

Comment

Working on, tweaking my track bike. Half an hour just to take the side fairings off, same to put them back on!!!
                That's because they cover the whole side, so the mirrors, signal lights and windshield have to come off too. I'd like to cut a new seam to fix that, but I choke.
                Had it all off Friday, to raise the needles one click for mo-betta mid range. Took a reducer out of each slide too, for quicker acc. (Dynojet thing)
                Put it all back together for a test ride and no reaction from the solenoid????? WTF!!!
                Trouble shot that system and discovered a connector parted under the tank.
                Back together again this morning, plus raised the front end 3mm.
                Test ride and yeah mo-betta midrange, did 40 to 100mph in 1/8 mile, that's like a short straight before the next turn on a track…ideal.
                This bike is way too fast for a relaxing ride on country roads, I got my GS1100G for that, and I still gotta suppress my inner hooligan.
                Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 06-29-2019, 12:16 PM.
                "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Had to do the first chain adjustment on the Kat, gave it a bath as well. Bit of a dodgy pic though...

Untitled by starpoint73, on Flickr
                  1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                  1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I decided, since the carbs are out of the FZ1, to check condition of plugs. Dang! Had to remove the radiator to get to them. Weren't hat bad but will change anyway.
                    Current Bikes:
                    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

1150RT has sat untouched for 4 weeks (has stopped dripping gear lube).

GK has sat untouched for 2 weeks.

THis afternoon I Got batterytenders on both.
                      Wiped most of the road grime off the GK pipes.

Did not hurt myself too much doing that (other than wife crabbing at me).

oh, other thing i "wrenched on" today: shaving the left side of my face with right hand, i excavated a slice of skin off my chin.
                      Last edited by Redman; 07-08-2019, 10:12 PM. Reason: pic

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Got most of an 1150 gearbox undercut today. Still one gear off the layshaft away having damaged dogs welded.
                        It's had a hard life - several gears have had the dogs repaired previously. Still enough meat there to do a nice undercut job.
                        I usually get asked to do roadrace boxes - which last pretty well. This is a dragbike.
                        Any of the dragrace fraternity able to tell me how often they do gearboxes ?

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                          1150RT has sat untouched for 4 weeks (has stopped dripping gear lube).
                          Fixed!

[10 char]
                          Dogma
                          --
                          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                          '80 GS850 GLT
                          '80 GS1000 GT
                          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                            Fixed!
                            .....]
                            nope
                            empty.

although there is a plan pending.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Put some synthetic 75w/90 gear oil in the front and rear bevel drives. Probably didn't need to, as I'd dosed the trans with moly 20 years ago, but thought it might be time to replace the oil.
                              That synthetic ain't half thin stuff - quite watery compared to normal 80 or 90 gear oil. I suppose, like in the engine oil realm, I have to trust to the higher film strength and all that good stuff. It occurred to me that the thinner oil will create less drag in the transmission...
                              It's hard to say that I felt a difference when taking off up the road, as I'm still sort of breaking it in and not giving it beans yet, but it seemed to me to be slightly (for very small values of slightly) more easy to move under throttle, so meh (shrug).
                              ---- Dave
                              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                                Put some synthetic 75w/90 gear oil in the front and rear bevel drives. Probably didn't need to, as I'd dosed the trans with moly 20 years ago, but thought it might be time to replace the oil.
                                That synthetic ain't half thin stuff - quite watery compared to normal 80 or 90 gear oil. I suppose, like in the engine oil realm, I have to trust to the higher film strength and all that good stuff. It occurred to me that the thinner oil will create less drag in the transmission...
                                It's hard to say that I felt a difference when taking off up the road, as I'm still sort of breaking it in and not giving it beans yet, but it seemed to me to be slightly (for very small values of slightly) more easy to move under throttle, so meh (shrug).
                                Modern gear oils can be strange things. My ex business partner was into Mazda 323 4WD turbos at one point. He was aware they were getting a bad rep for doing the center diffs. Asked around his friends in the local rally scene and was told "use this". It was I think from memory a full synthetic Castrol product - not marketed as suitable for diffs. He was very dubious about putting it in as it ran like water...
                                Both his turbos lasted very well indeed with this stuff in them. No center diff problems at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X